What size battery to add

JIm_Andrea

Reaction score
My toon came with a single battery.  Im about to add 2 Seablaze X underwater lights, RGB LED under deck lights and will be upgrading my stereo to a middle of the road setup over the winter along with LED cupholders and speaker rings.  What size battery/batteries should I add? I assume I will need to add a charger as well since the Yamaha alternator only puts out 37amps give or take. 

My boat came with a single group 27 Interstate. I replaced it with two Group 34 Odyssey's along with onboard chargers / tenders. I am covered now for future stereo upgrades.

Do you know what the Amp Hour (AH) is for the batteries? 

Thats the one that popped up on Amazon for $300 each.

Just noticed your from Havasu.. Im from San Bernardino area originally and used to take my jet boat to Havasu every summer!  Miss Copper Canyon and the Sand Bar.

Just noticed your from Havasu.. Im from San Bernardino area originally and used to take my jet boat to Havasu every summer!  Miss Copper Canyon and the Sand Bar.
It's a lot different now. The Sand Bar is covered in reeds and bamboo, and nobody really hangs out at Copper Canyon anymore. We usually head up the gorge and find a cove or just hang in the Channel.

300 bucks is about the going price for those batteries. They are a great product though.

Thats the one that popped up on Amazon for $300 each.
The Sears Platinum is the same battery by Odyssey. You can find them on sale quite often. I have 2 Group 31's with a Blue Seas isolator setup.

Here are a couple picks BTW. I cleaned up the wiring a little as well as adding the billet mounts.

gallery_6699_811_82372.jpg

gallery_6699_811_801073.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! Both of your setups look great. Mine will be a little challenging as the original owner did not opt for the center fuel tank.

What type of onboard charger are you both using?

I went with Northstar batteries. 3 group 31 for stereo and a 27 for starting and in boat power. Did a lot of researching and the Northstar seemed like an amazing battery. Probably overkill for your application, but so far so good! 

Just realized I never took a picture of my group 27 battery and switch under port side lounger.

Nice Derrick.  I do plan on upgrading the stereo and if I get my way it will be a significant upgrade  <_<  Not everyone enjoys music at the level i do LOL  Im more concerned about running out of power at the end of the evening after being on the water for 4-5 hours, stopping for dinner and running the added lighting that has a significant AMP draw on its own. Obviously the lights will only be run at night but my wife and I are taking advantage of having the boat in a slip fairly close to our house and going out to dinner on it multiple times a week already.  

Also like i pointed out I am limited on space at least at the factory location for the battery because the original owner did not opt for the center toon fuel tank  :angry:   So my tank is under the lounger.  Wonder if that can be changed......

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have an onboard charger. It's not necessary in my situation and there is no power on my dock anyway.

Wow so running your engine is enough charge time to keep them charged up?

I went with Northstar batteries. 3 group 31 for stereo and a 27 for starting and in boat power. Did a lot of researching and the Northstar seemed like an amazing battery. Probably overkill for your application, but so far so good! 

Derrick if I were to buy just one battery from Northstar which model/size would you go with....that 27?  I have no desire to upgrade to 2 batteries.  Even with my 400W amp I have never had a dead battery.  So the battery will be used for everything, obviously.  I do not have any LED lights or fishing stuff, etc.

Wow so running your engine is enough charge time to keep them charged up?
I don't have a mega stereo or trolling motor to drain them all that much, so yes, just cruising around the lake does the job. My Blue Seas setup charges both with 70A alternator output on the Verado 250 Pro. My second battery is mostly just a backup for starting in a pinch.

Ah I only have a 37amp alternator on my yamaha 150

Does the blue seas setup require switching between batteries for charging and starting or is it automatic?

Back