What to use on the toons?

jimmiefan48

Reaction score
I'm not interested in the sharkhide method.  I'd like to just use something to clean up the tons and give them a decent look (not necessarily the mirror look).

Any reccomendations?  I know there is tons of info on this site regarding this topic. Im having trouble sifting through all of it and finidng what I'm looking for though.

Much appreciate,

Mike

Are you looking to clean them at the end of the season or during your use?  Is the boat in the water or do you trailer?

Sharkhide is NOT a ton of work and it may end up saving you a ton of work.  It should only take you under an hour to do it or you can pay your local dealer to do so [like I do]

Dealer just did Two coats on mine ( 3 tubes ) $324.45 out the door 

Yo should not have to deep clean them if it is new ,simple wash 

Last edited by a moderator:
If your boat is new, just clean them with a good car washing soap, let dry, wipe down with laquer thinner or acetone, and apply 2 coats of Sharkhide as per their directions.

That's what i did to ours, and 3 yrs later, they still look great. 

If your toons have tarnished some from sitting around, then use an aluminum cleaner first, then wash, wipe down and apply.

Be careful of the aluminum cleaners out there, some will make the toons look dull and white-ish. Don't use anything with an acid base.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the no acid based cleaners.  You will have white toons.  I have a cleaner then protector coming this week from Marine 31.  Their mildew remover was fabulous so I am trying their products for the toons.  I will do it this weekend and let you know how much work it is. 

+1 on the no acid based cleaners.  You will have white toons.  I have a cleaner then protector coming this week from Marine 31.  Their mildew remover was fabulous so I am trying their products for the toons.  I will do it this weekend and let you know how much work it is. 

Thansk Bruce! When you say white toons...you mean oxidated toons, like bleach white?

I think more like acid etched, just dull and more white rather than 'silver' like aluminum should look.

You probably want to look into polishes more than cleaners to spruce them up.

Beware!  If you polish your pontoons make sure to get all the black residue off of them before applying sharkhide.  You cannot see the residue but it is still there.  If you don't, you will end up with black streaks all over your pontoons.  I learned the hard way.  I think the best way to do it is after you buffed your toons, wipe down with laquer thinner to get all the hidden black residue.  Applying the sharkhide was the easiest part of the process.

Be warned though, polishing your tubes is a pain in the you know what.

Back