What trailer tie-down straps to buy?

tyjy

Reaction score
I need suggestions about what tie-down straps should we buy for trailering? And how many should we buy?

Went shopping and there's different:

lengths,

strengths,

standard vs. heavy-duty,

ratchet vs. retractable!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

(We have a Mid-American bunk tri-toon trailer with PLASTIC BUNKS (not carpet) and will soon be picking up a new 22' w/SPS if that helps). 

The retractables are nice but pricey.  The simpler the setup, the more reliable.

Just don't skimp on them.

2 inch, ratcheting or latch.

In the event of an accident, you want to ensure the boat stays on the trailer

Ratched-type, heavy duty one for the front to double as a "safety chain" and 2 generic buckle-style that you just flip to tighten...both are "corrosion resistent" to help combat the saltwater down my way.  The bow tie down is important as it does alleviate any bounce.

Get the ones that are the size of a seatbelt.

Thank you all so much for your help. I know this is probably elementary to you but I just want to buy the right/safe stuff from the get go without spending more than I have to as it's all adding up already : /

What are your thoughts?:

I found some 2" wide ones that are 27' long! Spec's say 10,000 break strength (BS)/3,330 working load (WL) limit for $17 each.

(27' seems so long, is it?)

Most seem to be 1" wide at various lengths and strengths, examples:

1" x 16', 1200 lb BS/400 WL $7 each

1" x 6', 1,800 lb BS/600 WL $16 each

1" x 10', 1,500 lb BS/500 WL $23 for four ("have lift clips to slide in excess webbing")

(kaydano: 1" are probably seatbelt width, right?)

Don't have it yet, but our boat and motor will be around 3,500 lbs, I think. How do those strengths/WL apply to us?

What lengths should we get if tying down the two back corners and bow as brentah suggested?

Thank you again!

Get the 2 inch ones, similar to a seatbelt, or the bow crank strap on your trailer. They only need to be 5 feet long at the most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not buy 1 inch straps....2 of my best friends own marinas and ship/deliver boats daily....surface area is your friend

I like the 2" non-ratcheting kind.  I really like the permanent kind that mount on the trailer frame--ratcheting--but they're expensive.

On my Waverunner, I run the straps diagonally--right to the left eye and left to the right eye.  But it's difficult to do so on a pontoon boat due to the engine pod.

On the front end, I like to install a heavy ring on the winch stand, and put a second backup strap to the winch.  It's not enough to tie down one end or the  other.

But who am I to say what's best.  I seldom trailer my toon more than 5 miles, and only once or twice a year at that.  I don't tie my rear down for that short distance.

Back