What's a good setup for low draft?

lostpacket

Reaction score
Our dock has some major rocks around it, currently with the water not fully drawn down for the winter there are spots 12" from the surface. I can avoid these 12" spots but some areas are still 18" right now but typically are 24" during the season. What are my options? I'm assuming I can trim the engine up to avoid them until I'm away from the dock but will the pontoons hit the rocks? What's the best options for low draft as far as toon shape etc? 

Thanks

my 2003 bennington  pontoon floated in less than a foot of water,  the best way to check is measure the distance from the bottom of the toon to the top of the water at the lowest point, usually the stern, this should give you some idea.

my 2003 bennington  pontoon floated in less than a foot of water,  the best way to check is measure the distance from the bottom of the toon to the top of the water at the lowest point, usually the stern, this should give you some idea.

Thanks, I'm trying to get an idea of what to look for since we're purchasing a new boat. Hard to measure a boat we don't have yet. :)

Thanks, I'm trying to get an idea of what to look for since we're purchasing a new boat. Hard to measure a boat we don't have yet. :)

The standard toons are 25" diameter, so figure at least half of that at the stern (12-13"), depending on hull type, motor weight, fuel load, passengers, etc.

The standard toons are 25" diameter, so figure at least half of that at the stern (12-13"), depending on hull type, motor weight, fuel load, passengers, etc.

With a full load (distributed) does that change much? Do any of the options (tri, wings, etc) change the draft?

The express package typically sits deeper in the stern, often has a 150 on it. Fuel and passengers in the back may also cause some squat. Larger 32" elliptical toons (ESP or twin) would carry any load a bit higher as they are more buoyant.

I happen to measure this the other day... don't ask why? My boat full of fuel and no passengers draw just about 15" of water at the center toon. It didn't seem adjust with just a driver but I would think I could get it less if I put everybody towards the front as they're lucky to be in 4"-6". I would think if you want a triple toon, the ESP would sit a little higher than my SPS if you don't bolt a 350hp on it. If two logs will do I'd spend the money on twin ellipticals as they sit higher than the standard 25" logs plus it'll be a little dryer and with strakes a heck of a lot faster! Good luck on your hunt!

I'd be more concerned with the waves rocking the toon. You might have 24" but it can quickly become 6" with a good sized wake rolling in.

I'd be more concerned with the waves rocking the toon. You might have 24" but it can quickly become 6" with a good sized wake rolling in.

I was thinking this same thing. It's good you are soliciting information about draft in general given your rock situation. However, if there is any wake or wave issues, that will skew things - potentially drastically.

My Express sits more than half the tube diameter in the water at the stern end.

I was thinking this same thing. It's good you are soliciting information about draft in general given your rock situation. However, if there is any wake or wave issues, that will skew things - potentially drastically.

Wakes are probably the only thing (assuming no huge storm) that we'd have to worry about and they never get that big by us since we're in a cove. I could put the boat on a mooring when we're not there but still want to park and load it near the dock when we're home.

My Express sits more than half the tube diameter in the water at the stern end.

So, 12-16"?

Here is what I'm working with. Ideally we remove the rocks but the way permits are that could take 2+ years. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

On a positive note that is some nice clear water!!!! Can you install a floating lift or some other type of lift?

On a positive note that is some nice clear water!!!! Can you install a floating lift or some other type of lift?

Yeah, I could do that to keep it safe while it was parked but even the approach has some monsters I'd have to worry about. I'm in talks with the department in charge of wetlands to see my options but removing things from the lake is a big no no. I could hate to buy a brand new boat just to scrape a toon on a rock.

If you had a vertical lift that lifted the boat by the deck that would be your best, lowest clearance option. Can you mark the super shallow boulders with buoy's/markers and just cruise around them? Or are we talking big shelf areas that you cannot avoid? I'd definitely avoid a stainless prop. I think I even saw someone post a while back about plastic modular props. That might be worth looking at. Same goes for a skeg guard.

Bennington responded to my question about draft so now my question is how far can I trim up the engine and still have control and not hurt it?

Basically, if no load is 14" can I trim up that much too or would that be too far?

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    131.3 KB · Views: 27
As long as the lower unit is able to pump water you'll be good to go. We have some shallow stumpy areas and I trim up and idle through all the time.

Back