What's it called; Wing Nut.....

Spoiledrotten

Reaction score
I went out this afternoon to see what was going on in the driveway, and saw one of the mooring cover support poles sticking through the vent port. I looked in and found that the plastic wing nut was gone. I can't find that thing anywhere. I just ordered another vent port. I hate buying a whole item just to get a part of it. Oh well, I guess I'll have a spare, now.

I thought I was keeping those darned things tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine seem to get loose also. I re tighten all the time

I check mine every time I set the poles .I already have a hand on it ,why not make sure it is secure .

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one come off too.....guess I'll add it to the periodic checklist.

One of mine came apart once too. By the dock boys. I was lucky to find it. If I remember they are three pieces. One inside, one outside, and the wing nut to keep them together.

It's definitely going to be on my to do list. 

I got lucky! I went back out in the yard, looking around and thinking, where would I be lying if the yard boys blew me off of the drive where the boat is parked. I looked for a while and found it pushed down in the ground, most likely where the guy's lawnmower wheel ran over it and pushed it down. Well, that's better than the blade hitting it and destroying. It's back on, and tightened down now. I also had time to cancel the order of the new one.

Yep, got to check those things.

Maybe drill a small hole and run a tiny stainless screw in after you tighten it down. Might save some grief down the road.

I've had them come loose too, but I've gotten in the habit of checking them every time or two when I pop the poles out.

I bet they are the same threads as somthing at the hardware store.

What about throwing a stainless lock washer on there?

Thanks to Spoiledrotten and others who commented on this problem.  I mentioned it to my husband and he said he was having the same problem!  So, he's making sure he checks them each time as well!  Good thing to check regularly so you don't lose!

put a spot of glue or use plumbers tape on the treads to keep it tight.

Back