What's the best choice for a FLAG?

Adam2012

Reaction score
Want to buy a flag/pole kit for my boat which hits the lake for it's maiden voyage at the end of April. Saw the Taylor- Made 30" kit with a 16x24 flag for about $50 at West MArine. Does anyone have experience with this? Any other suggestions? This seems to be rated pretty well. THANKS!!!

Our flag is zip-tied to the stern light.

I ordered the flag from Bennington.

Adam, I also got the flag after I oredered the boat and almost bought the one from West Marine. After getting the same advice from this forum I opted to go with the Bennington flag at double the price and glad I did. It is vastly superior and flys a 2'x3' flag on a much longer pole. You wont be sorry

Adam, I also got the flag after I oredered the boat and almost bought the one from West Marine. After getting the same advice from this forum I opted to go with the Bennington flag at double the price and glad I did. It is vastly superior and flys a 2'x3' flag on a much longer pole. You wont be sorry
Thanks- do you know how to order from Bennington?

You have to go through your dealer. Bennington doesn't sell to the public.

Try the one from Biminibuddy.com they have one that clamps to your rail and you can move it anywhere you want. Hoss

pirate.jpg

Another choice, Amazon has several choices, I got a stainless steel pole and mount for a flag that I had. They also have several flags at good prices.

Royo

Try the one from Biminibuddy.com they have one that clamps to your rail and you can move it anywhere you want. Hoss

I can't get that site to load.

Has anyone used the ($300) one from TIgtechmarine.com?  I really want to fly a 3x5 flag from my potoon but I really don't want to spend that kind of money on it.

The best choice is not necessarly the cheapest ...I have the tig tech flags and love em. Yes they are pricey but they are stainless steel and mount flush with the deck. I have two sets of eyes on them so I can fly the smaller flags as well as the 2x3's.  No worries of catching your toes on those mounts that stick up. Yes you have to drill a hole to mount them but anything worth while takes a bit of time. Kinda like mounting monster stero's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I just don't even know if it will work on my pontoon.  I don't have the same kind of side railing that is on the newer models.  If I have to get at the bottom part of it to install this then I know it won't work because you can't get to the underside without taking a ton of stuff off first (see my posts all last year with trying to install new, stern cleats on my boat that I ended up have the dealer do, which took HIM over 90 minutes to do, because I sure as heck couldn't do it).  Would I have to access the bottom part of the railing where I install this at or do you simply drill the hole and then put in screwes from the top?

I am about as patriotic as any other American out there and I love our great flag to death but................when we got our 1st boat back in the 80's I had an American flag and a Maryland flag on both sides of the stern. We loved them and they looked fantastic! Only thing was they flapped around so much while we were underway they drove us nuts...............so we took them off. We never installed an American flag on our Benny although I would like to and we still have our original one from our 1st boat. But I just can't forget the flapping around...................Am I wrong to feel this way?!?!? Has anybody experienced this?!?

I removed the shield on the bottom side and used stainless bolts and nylock nuts. Believe it or not, there is some stress on the mount when underway, expecially with the bigger flags. It was not that big of a deal but I did have all the tools to make the installaion. It's definately a "one off" set up so it gonna take a bit more time than just setting it on the deck and drilling in a couple screws. I guess if you are anal enough to polish your pontoons than you will appreciate these poles.

Well I guess I won't bother getting it then because I could never figure out how to remove the bottom plate to access the underside.  If it wasn't for that I would for sure get this set-up but hell it took a DEALER over 90 minutes (with special tools he said) to figure out how to remove it.  it's something specific with I/O's.

Mine are  just small plates riveted on. Drilled em out. installed the mounts and riveted the plates back on Took about an hour to do both sides

Dealers always call them "special" tools .... paying that labor rate for using a Black & Decker drill just won't cut it .... LOL !!!!

Back