When to buy new?

harski

Reaction score
New to forum here!   It's great that this site is available for those to share knowledge, tech information, etc.  Thanks in advance to all members for sharing your experiences!

I recently picked up my second Bennington and now being hooked to the performance end,  I'm already thinking of upgrading to my third. :blink:     With that said,  I was wondering if there is a good time to buy new, ie; incentives, boat shows, fall, etc... to optimize any discounts that may be had?  

I do have some performance questions/issues but will leave that for another day and forum.  

Thanks again!

Harski

New to forum here!   It's great that this site is available for those to share knowledge, tech information, etc.  Thanks in advance to all members for sharing your experiences!

I recently picked up my second Bennington and now being hooked to the performance end,  I'm already thinking of upgrading to my third. :blink:     With that said,  I was wondering if there is a good time to buy new, ie; incentives, boat shows, fall, etc... to optimize any discounts that may be had?  

I do have some performance questions/issues but will leave that for another day and forum.  

Thanks again!

Harski
Welcome and congrats! On the forum this problem is known as PADS (Pull a Derrick Syndrome), named for a certain someone who had 3 new boats in very short time period.

I ordered mine in late fall after our season, with the dealer knowing what kind of volume discounts they would expect from Bennington and Mercury for the spring boat show season. There were a couple other promos piled on during the Feb-April timeframe that also factored into our deal.

When to buy is a question of Discipline.   You have apparently been infected with "PADS". (Pull another Derrick Syndrone or Possibly another Divorce Settlement)

I bought mine at the end of the year. At first you might think I got a good deal on leftover year models but not..... There were new options coming out for the new year that I wanted so I ordered for the new year. No Regrets... It's what I wanted and was willing to pay for it. I had done my homework, the dealer was needing to meet a minimun order and he sweetened the deal.

Go to a few garage sales or maybe take a trip down to Tijuana and learn how to haggle so you can use those skills on your dealer. The invention of the internet has really given the buyer the edge because you can shop around from your desk.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can get most of what you're looking for by finding something in dealer stock, then end of the boating season is absolutely the way to go in my experience.  We received a fantastic deal, although there are things about the boat that I may have changed if had ordered it new.  I have no regrets because the changes would have been minor and the price more than made up for that discrepancy.

We bought after the Boat Show in February with a boat the dealer had ordered for the boat show.   Several advantages.  Got the boat show deal on the motor warranty.  5 years.  Got a terrific price on the boat because it did not sell at the show.  The boat was ordered by the dealer in the fall so it was a 2015 model but priced before the price increases in 2015.  The boat had almost everything i would have ordered.  The left over boats can be a great price but don't buy one that does not have a "must have for you" option. You probably will never be happy. 

As you have read on the forum, we will be happy to help you spend your money on a new Benny. 

I found some really good deals in the fall and I found my deal this past March.  It was a holdover 2014, so the dealer wanted to make room for the 2015 models.  The boat I found was the exact layout I wanted with most of the upgrades.  What it did not have I had him add for me.  The boat listed for 78k and they were advertising it for 54k.  Now I did have to travel far to get it which is not good when you want warranty issues taken care of right away, but the savings made it worth my while.  The local dealers did not have anything in that I wanted and for some reason they had much smaller engines on them, maybe that is their market.

As a P.A.D member we sold our first one after 3 months of use. Ordered both in early fall and locked in a low price on next years model. Even though there was not a motor promotion at the time, I negotiated that the dealer would cover it in the event there would not be one when the boat came in.

I ordered a 2014  in December of 2013  ,there were additional incentives at the time.

I bought mine off the lot. Had almost everything I would have ordered. Had been given a price while we were shopping. Called them a week later and said I have $......... Which was a few thousand less than was originally quoted, told them can they do this "out the door" he told me he'd call me back in 10 minutes. He called back 9 minutes later and said yes. Boom! New boat no waiting.

I bought a 14 holdover at the end of the year when they were getting ready to get the 15's. My boat was loaded (ordered for display at a boat show). There was nothing more I could have added if I would have ordered it myself. I loved my old boat and was not even sure if I wanted a new boat. When all was said and done I paid about 1/2 of what full retail would have been if I ordered the same boat. I bought through a high volume dealer (about 200 boats a year) so that probably helped.

I found mine on boat trader.  The boat  I ended up with is not even close to what I started looking at.  I've owned High HP Jet Boats my whole life.  Things have changed and Im more interested in margarita time then Blowing womens tops off at 100mph +  I started out looking at boats in the 15k range knowing it would be a one season thing just to see if my wife would even be interested.  2 weeks and a lot more than 15k later I picked mine up.  The guy had just posted it, I was the first caller.  My wife and I jumped in the truck and drove to Tennessee at 6pm, test drove it at 9:30pm... Laid out the cash and came home all smiles.  Was pleased the next day after talking to my insurance company when they gave me the replacement value! I know this isn't a dealer story but I wanted to tell it anyway  LOL. Im already eyeing a 2575 sport, all black with an 350 I/O fully loaded sitting at the marina my wife and I eat dinner at weekly now.  I would say its the black version of Derricks.  If its around in the winter I may try to strike a deal.... If not I absolutely love my boat!

We ordered our boat in late July last year and were able to get a great discount.  Our build date ended up being the 3rd week in August so we also ended up getting the upgrades added to the 2015 SLX models (extended bow, radius seating and upgraded radio) at no additional cost.  We also got an extension on the warranty for our Yamaha outboard motor.  Another great time to buy would be at the boat shows as the dealers usually offer many incentives.  Good Luck 

Thanks again!

Harski

Harski ,  I don't want to hi-jack your thread but I'm certainly going to follow .....   I Just sold one of my boats (Bowrider) and I'm ready for a Bennington.  I would like to here suggestions for Bennington dealers in the southeast that have inventory and a sales person that knows his stuff. I don't mind making a road trip out of talking with the right person. I know that I'm probably going to have to order one to get what I want.   Thanks  guys..........

Apopka marine in Inverness Fl is fantastic. I dealt with Shawn and highly recommend him. If I ever trade my Benny for another one I will deal with him. Check out their reviews on FB.

Apopka marine in Inverness Fl is fantastic. I dealt with Shawn and highly recommend him. If I ever trade my Benny for another one I will deal with him. Check out their reviews on FB.
I agree about Shawn and the dealership in general.  Good People.

It's a hard decision. We started in August 2012 with a 20SLX order for 2013. We then decide to go bigger and changed to a upgraded 24SLX. After looking at them more, we decided to go with a G22 model, that had some of the S options as standard. Needless to say, the dealer had a blowout deal on a leftover 2011 2275RLi that we bought in Sept 2012. Never expected to end up in a R, but in the end, we would have been happy with ANY Bennington. My advice, if space allows, go big and go powerful.

Hi, I'm Derrick. Haha. My first boat I actually bought sight unseen in I think October 2009. Dealer wanted to move it so he had more room and capital for purchasing for the February boat show. I never saw the boat until around May or June of 2010. Dealer also wanted to move it because he isn't a fan of red boats, which is why he swears when I kept ordering new red boats!! Haha the first one I had no real idea what I needed, nor if I would even like it. But after that I knew what I wanted so I just ordered it that way. I think I got a decent deal on my second one, although with some of the high volume dealers some of you Southern folk have around you, I'm sure it could have been better. That being said, my dealer needs to make some money, profit isn't a dirty word, but I know I got a really good deal on the third one. And as much as he doesn't like red boats, he's never had my old one still around by the time my new one came in so they can't be that bad!! Although I guess they've all had less than 25 hours/year which I'm sure helps!

Back