Which one??

BenB

Reaction score
Ok, I am new and have a dilemma. We are going to become Bennington owners next week, but I am torn between two boats. Could you guys help me out a little deciding which one

First one a Bennington SS tritoon with 115 merc 4 stroke, sink, privacy station, battery switch, in-floor storage, docking lights, fish finder, upgrading skirting, and ski pylon. Bad thing is its 6 hrs away so prob not much for support if something goes wrong. Good thing is its in stock

Second one is Bennington SSI express with 115 merc, fish finder, g series recliner, stereo, tilt steering, docking lights, enclosure, teak table, logos. Not in stock but 5 dealership is 5 min from my house, mid Jun etac.

Both come with tandem trailers and I have them both down to 34ish.

Which one?

BenB:

Where are you located?

I know where there's a fully loaded used 2012 24SSLX (black) with a 150 hp Merc. FourStroke for $35,900 including trailer. It only has 30 hours.

The same dealer has 35 new Benningtons in stock right now, and has about anything you'd need.

Wow that's a tough one. After reading through all the "dealer issue" threads, I think it comes down to do you feel comfortable with the local dealer. If not, maybe see if there is another closer than 6 hours. I would never buy this at that distance. I would hate to see you have issues, then post on here you are unhappy with your Bennington because "your dealer is 6 hours away". Just my 2 cents.

I would definitely go with a closer dealer .My dealer is about 10 minutes away ,the factory is about 4 hours .

Closer is better and what is 6 hours of driving each way worth to you?

My dealer is almost 6 hours away, it does suck, but my dealer is great and knows it's a long haul so whenever possible we meet in a parking lot and do the trade (if any drug enforcement agents are reading this, we are talking about boats) so he usually drives about 1.5 hours one way and picks her up and goes back. It can be tougher in the busy seasons, but he always tries. That being said, you have to like your dealer, but you need to LOVE your boat, so pick the boat that YOU believe is best suited for YOUR needs. They both sound pretty good, I love my in floor storage, although on the rear lounger edition you do lose a lot so you need the extra.

Driving to go get it is nothing, as I love driving anyway. I'm located in Minot, ND so I have to drive long distances for anything. The boat will be stored on lake Sakakawea, so in the middle of Minot and Bismarck and I'm guessing I could take it to Bismarck as well if I don't buy from the Minot dealer. I'm sure we will love the boat, not an issue there as its not hard to please first time boat owners like ourselves.

How much do you guys really bring it in to the dealer where you actually bought it?

And Bamaman I wish I was closer. I'm originally from Alabama but haven't been back in years. That's a really long drive, little too much for even me pulling something. We are ok with having to pay more for less, the workers here have to be paid more to keep up with the competition with the oil field. Thus we have to pay more in return for just about everything.

I think your decision lies in something you haven't mentioned yet - Where's the nearest authorized motor service center???

I bought my boat and motor (Mercury 115) from a dealer that's a good 4 hour round trip away. However, a top notch Merc service center is only 5 minutes from where I store my boat. Winterizing is done there. Any warrantee issues i might have would be done there too.

You are unlikely have have problems with the boat, and if you do, odds are pretty good it can be fixed by you (or a friend with skills) with parts mailed to you. The only thing wrong with my boat at delivery was a bent door stop. They mailed me one. I put it on. No big deal.

So, I would get whichever boat you really like better. You will have it a long time. But see if there are authorized Mercury service centers close to you, and factor that into your decision.

Good Luck! Welcome Aboard! Let us know how it goes!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Derrick on this. Choose the boat you love. You're going to be spending a lot more time with it than the dealer. We bought our boat used, so I only deal w/ the nearest Bennington dealer on warranty issues and for parts. Otherwise, I'm dealing w/ the best Yamaha shop I could find to service the engine. Pick the boat you love, work w/ the closer dealer for parts or claims, and find a good Merc service shop.

I would also consider distance for service ,

If you have a close dealer and needed service are you going to get put off because you didn't purchase from them and they take care of their customers first ?

The marina where I dock is a Mercury dealer so they will be doing that service .

As far as a motor servicing center, there is one less than 5 min away from the lake where it will be stored and they are pretty awesome. Too bad they don't carry Benningtons, but they do work on Mercs. Never thought of that but I guess I could always take it to him.

As far as which one i like more well... I like in stock, lol

Instant gratification, we hate playing the waiting game as most of you I'm sure. If we were to have ordered one it would be great, but its one on order. And I'm still skeptical of that date he gave me. I see all these horror stories of boats not arriving too and that scares me even more. We don't get that long of a season to use it and more is better.

By the way, you should SERIOUSLY consider the 150 HP option. I have the 115, and while tubing is fine for a lightly loaded boat, if there's 6+ people in it, it's no fun. I'm going to get a spitfire prop this summer and see if that helps. Sounds like it will, just not sure how much. I'm right at the line with a full boat, and even a little bit will help.

If you plan to do any watersports, consider the 150.

When I placed my order ,I only put down a deposit and I have the delivery date in writing on the order slip .

Do the in stock ,have everything you want ? Can the dealer add it if it doesn't ?

We didn't order one, its just on order. I'm sure they can add stuff down the line, if we find ourselves needing more boat or motor then we can always trade in for something else. I have a wife and two girls so I'm sure the 115 will be fast enough for them. If the friends want to go faster then I will show them on the map where the closest dealership is.

I would need the ESP or SPS package to get a bigger motor. Neither have that package.

Forgot to add they are both the 22'

Last edited by a moderator:
If the friends want to go faster then I will show them on the map where the closest dealership is.
Now that's funny !!!!!

We didn't order one, its just on order. I'm sure they can add stuff down the line, if we find ourselves needing more boat or motor then we can always trade in for something else. I have a wife and two girls so I'm sure the 115 will be fast enough for them. If the friends want to go faster then I will show them on the map where the closest dealership is.
Be careful trying to add to an order .That is what happened to me .

I ended up having to cancel the first order and reordering .

The dealer kept the first order and I saw it last week ,now I still have another 3 weeks to go .

Get what you and your family wants ,it will be worth the wait .

Back