Who do I talk with about defective Bimini Boot?

Spoiledrotten

Reaction score
After a little over a month of taking ownership of my new boat, my wife discovered that the Bimini boot stitching is breaking loose. It appears that the thread is too weak to hold the zipper in place. There is about 3" that is completely apart, but the stitching all across the cover is actually un-stitched where you can see the loop in the stitching but not where it's connected to the bottom portion of the stitch. The rest will be coming apart very soon. Who do I contact for this, the dealership from whom I purchased the boat, or Bennington?  

I would start with your dealer

Dealer.

My mooring cover was replaced  ( waiting for fitting ) .

I had same type of issues .

Canvas shop Said ," it appeared that too large of needle was used for the size of thread "

Guess I should look at my Boot & Bimini too ,only been opened once .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys!  I'll do that.

I just called my dealer. He advised me to bring the boot by there and they would get things rolling.

If you dealer has a canvas shop they may fix it in house .

Hopefully, they do the right thing fast but If they mess around with it, the bimini might be the next item to replace. Setting out in the weather most likely won't be a good option for that. I really don't think it will be long getting replaced, either since I can see daylight through the stitch holes in it, plus it leaks like a sift when it rains. Not good!

I think I lucked out. I took the boot by the dealer this afternoon. He said, "hold on", while he went to the back. He walked out with another boot. He told me that a woman bought a boat just like mine, didn't like the red boot after a couple of weeks, and wanted a black one. He told me that if I didn't want this one, he would order me another one. Can't get much better than that. It was a little dusty, but all I had to do was tell him to order one, and he'd have done it. This one was perfect and appears to be a "seamless" fit, no pun intended. now I'm back in business. 

He told me that they had been having some trouble with the boots, but not the mooring covers or the bimini tops. Hopefully, that stays true.

My boot also seems tight.  I always zip it up very carefully as I am afraid I will catch the bimini in the zipper and tear it

I found that if you pull the half of the boot to the end that you are starting with, it will zip up much easier. In other words, keep it a little tight to each end you are working with. Give that a try. After having a jeep for years with a soft top, I've learned how to deal with canvas tops and zippers. Remember, if it don't fit, don't force it. Ha! They should write a song with that in it. I also keep my fingers just in front of the zipper so my fingers guard the canvas, keeping it from getting caught, zipped up in the zipper. Another thing I've found, working with my Jeep top is to rub a little bar soap along the zipper to keep it working well.

Back