Who has open water?

lakeliving

Reaction score
Hoping to see some close to mid michigan with some open water as that means it is coming my way!

Just starting to clear yesterday, about 20-40' from all of the beaches. The middle is still pretty solid, but the rain and geese frolicking about may change that quickly. You could always bring it down here for a little sea trial ;-) Can't be long now! 

We have about a 5 ft perimeter of open water here. Should be breaking soon as well. I'd love to bring it down there Tom! Too bad it is still over two hours away at the dealer.

I'm in the Jackson, MI area and finally had some melt along the edges 2 days ago.  Today it's almost out to the end of our docks at our place (although not that far out everywhere on this lake).  Finally have our residential mallard ducks here again swimming at our shoreline.  Although as I type this the wind is just awful and it's actually a sleet/snow right now.

There has been some open water up here since Monday . The news yesterday mentioned that the Ice fisherman should not go out any more this season .

Who has open water ????????

ThisGuy.gif

I have an open bottle of wine from last night... Open water here is still a week or so away.  :-(

I have open water. Temps have been in the 40's with 20-30 MPH winds...

Quick trip to the lake house outside Traverse City past few days. it snowed about 2 inches while we were there. A few inches of water was around edge of lake. Not sure how thick the ice still is, but someone was out ice fishing yesterday before we left! Was supposed to get down to 25 degrees last nite.

Quick trip to the lake house outside Traverse City past few days. it snowed about 2 inches while we were there. A few inches of water was around edge of lake. Not sure how thick the ice still is, but someone was out ice fishing yesterday before we left! Was supposed to get down to 25 degrees last nite.
What lake are you on ?

We are at the Marina on Crooked lake ,North of Petoskey .

I have open water. It's at 59 degrees. Too cold to swim but with the trouble I had with the motor on Thursday. Wading at the dock to get the Benni back on the trailer I was assured that it was even too cold to even wade. The water temp. will be in the 70's in three weeks. Then wading won't be so bad, but I hope the motor is running right by then.

I didn't know about Arbutus lake  . We dont get down to the TC area much .Its a two hour ride each way for us . Winter can be ruff and in the summer  we would rather be on the boat instead of a car .

Exactly our point too. Rarely get up to Petoskey cuz of the drive and never trailered our boats. Like to just cruise the lake, occasionally fish, and enjoy the quiet times. It's not a very busy lake compared to some, but long and about 400 acres.

We still have 16" - 18" of ice on our lake and our first trip is in 7 weeks. You are all lucky.   :)

Yep, still frozen here too...makes the wait for the boat a bit easier :)

I'll keep my negative, whining comments to myself. No open water here, although I think the geese are pretty mad! Haha, saw a bunch sitting out in the middle of the frozen pond yesterday. Pretty sure the female goose was telling the male goose, "I told you it was too early, but you were like, 'oh no, it'll be fine'. Well you had better find me a big puddle then!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll keep my negative, whining comments to myself. No open water here, although I think the geese are pretty mad! Haha, saw a bunch sitting out in the middle of the frozen pond yesterday. Pretty sure the female goose was telling the male goose, "I told you it was too early, but you were like, 'oh no, it'll be fine'. Well you had better find me a big puddle then!"
You know that is what she was saying....and under his breath he was whispering...who invited you along anyway?  :)   

I'm not a fan of geese. They got so bad here the dnr trapped them and relocated them. Some found their way back. I did my daily test of throwing a rock out on the ice at different distances from shore and there is a lot of slush so it will be gone soon.

Back