Who insures your boat? What are you paying?

Boat US - $322

same here, BOAT US , $318 a year

$136. Progressive

Ours was with boatus as well and in line with the others.

progressive   $227

Travelers insurance -- $259 for full coverage

BoatUS. $200 year now, full replacement value.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use progressive, they have vanishing deductible so after a few years if we have an incident its not real costly. Out annual premium is only $300, they are backed by USAA for all watercraft so it gives us a bit of a discount also.

I am a new Bennington owner and a Farmers agent . I just insured my boat with Formost , brand new 2013 for 321.00 per year [ full coverage with a $500 deductible]. They include a vanishing deductible and water sports liability coverage. PM for info.

thanks, Mike

I just happened to talk with BoatUS (Boat Owners Association of the US) about my policy a few weeks ago.  I ran across the info recently, and remembered this thread.  Below is the info...

Yacht Policy (which is their premium policy - they also have a cheaper "boat savers" policy).

$40k agreed value on boat and motor (so full replacement, no depreciation). 

$3500 coverage for the trailer.

Includes declining deductible (25% discount per year, with 5th year = $0 deductible)

$421 per year with $250 deductible

$379 per year with $800 deductible

$358 per year with $1200 deductible

$337 pear year with $1600 deductible

Declining deductible makes the high deductible more attractive.  I got the Yacht policy since the boat/motor/trailer was all new.  If I had bought a used boat, I may have bought the cheaper policy.  Figuring the boat was brand new, we spent a little more on the policy. 

Yeah, the key thing with BoatUS vs everyone else is the "spill coverage". Anyone posting here that is not with BoatUS should check their policy on what coverage they really have. I'm betting they don't have much or near the $800000 plus that BoatUS covers.

Imagine what a small oil or fuel leak cleanup would cost .......... Double check your policies today !!!

That was why I switched from Allstate. My spill coverage was $100. When I realized this, I switched to BoatUS. Spill coverage is equal to the max liability set by law of something like $856,000.

I would add that I had asked my Allstate agent before I bought the boat policy if it contained spill coverage.  She said it did.  But she was shady (in my book) because she did NOT offer to say how much coverage there was.  And, it was stupid of me for not asking.  Later, after I got the policy (and how many people read their policies) but I did skim through it and that lead me to ask questions about the spill coverage AMOUNT.  That's when I found out it was $100.  Frankly, I couldn't believe it.  I thought it must be a deductible.  Or a typo.  Nope, $100 was the total amount of the coverage!  That's NOTHING if you had a spill.  You are talking tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to clean up an oil spill.

It's a scam, if you ask me, that allows an agent to simply answer "yes" if you should ask if fuel/oil spills are covered.  But to whatever percentage of potential customers that don't actually follow up and specifically ask "how much", the Agent gets away with a sale. 

So, if you don't have BoatUS, ask your agent this question:  "How much oil/gas spill clean-up costs does my policy cover?"

There are other threads on this topic buried in this forum.  I don't recall hearing of any other company that covers spills like BoatUS.  Please report back here if anyone has a company that matches BoatUS.  If no one replies, I think we'll know the answer.

Hell, you can almost spill $100 on the ground at the pump now days .......... Lol !!!

$230 a year full replacement coverage American Family ins We have a ton of stuff insured with them though.

I have mine with Auto Owners ,$150 a year ,Zero Deductible with replacement cost .I also purchased a Million dollar umbrella for under $100 that covers ,house ,car and boat .

Getting the umbrella coverage also ended up reducing all my other premiums by more than the price of the umbrella .

Back