Who's on Lake Norman?

Were you able to see the raft-up first hand?  It sounds like you might not have seen it first hand.  Was it nearby where you live?  My wife and I might like to see it and photograph it from a safe distance, but neither one of us wanted to participate in it.  From the pictures I've seen it looks scary and unsafe to be involved in it.  And it looks dangerous even to get too close to it.  I would think that several of the boats might have gotten at least some small hull damage from doing this.   And I don't think I would enjoy having scores of intoxicated strangers walking across my pontoon boat just to get to someone else's boat.  Further, it seems difficult to separate from the raft-up very easily without being extremely vigilant about possible hull damage. And what if one of us has to go to the bathroom?  We will have a port-o-potty, but I'm afraid if I were to use it just once during a raft-up, that my Bennington port-o-potty and Bennington curtains would rapidly become the public toilet for the entire raft-up.   I don't think I would enjoy all the loud music I imagine might accompany a raft-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't go to raftups for the same fears that you have. We do go to see the Charlotte Symphony at the Duke nuclear power plant and anchor with friends. Everyone brings food and drink and it's a great time. There's usuallt 100-200 boats of all types there but it's civilized.           B)

Hitting the water with friends and family, this Sunday. The weatherman is calling for perfect weather in the low 80's!

Doing a little lazy cruising and will inevidibly find ourselves on the beach across from the sandbar.

Cruised Lake Norman today and lots of boats were out there. Kind of rough, but had a great time and enjoyed the Carolina blue sky. Had lunch at the Rusty Rudder then hit some coves under the 150 bridges, it was nice and calm in the coves. Saw some people in the water tubing and wake boarding, they must be tough because I put my feet in the water and (no way). Did get a sunburn though, but was worth it.

Happy Boating

We were out today also and took a ride up past marker 25 in Troutman and back. Stopped by the island and saw spinzone and his family before coming home. We're all sunburned also, but it feels good.    :D   24SLX, where do you keep your boat at? We'll have to meet up for snacks or lunch.

Sunburned is an understatement around here! I had to make a late night trip to CVS for aloe. We also did some waterskiing back in the cove leading to the Rusty Rudder. The water was a little choppy and cool but felt great when we sat in the sun a little too long.

Always great to see Carl & Suzi on the water. (My pirate flag is going up next time we're out!)

Heading out tomorrow morning. Boats, beer, & bikinis!

I hope to see some of y'all on the water.

Post some pictures Spinzone, I would love to see you in a bikini :wacko:

That's a scary thought.... but if you insist.

Now where is that gold chain to go with my red speedo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Batteries? Please no speedo.     B)

Let me know where I can meet you. I'm assuming you're not bringing them on the boat.

Man I'm jealous of you people. It must be nice to have a great lake to boat in where you can travel around a bit and get to meet up with other forum members for some good times. I can literally get from one side of my lake to the other in probably 10 minutes. Love the lake, just wish it was bigger. 

On the lake again today and it was crowded. Went to the Landing off slanting bridge road and had lunch with my son and daughter inlaw and my grand child Hunter 14 month old and first time in the boat. He had and great time, and we accually went to the sand bar (son's ildea, to rough and loud for me) anchored and got in the water. Cold at first, but was accually nice once in. The little fellow is a natural on the boat and water, he loved it. 100's of boats anchored, probably because of the Memorial Day weekend. We then went to Tuner's Knob back in the cove, it was nice and calm and just hung out for a while. Had a great time and going out again tomorrow after church. 

Take the time to say a prayer and (God Bless and support our military) They are the reason we are able to do the things we want to do and live and enjoy this country of freedom and opportunity that we have. 

Happy Boating

I'm not on Lake Norman but Lake Bowen SC. and I have good news.

We finally got the old Merc. '04 up and running yesterday. The trouble began in March, the motor was running too rich. Then the carbs. started spilling out gas. Went to the shop spent 3 weeks there. They tried to clean out the boils still a problem then the finial was 2 new carbs. Go the boat back ran it twice and carb.# 2 started the same thing, Back to the shop. This time it was dirt that had gotten through the water fuel separator so how and wouldn't let the float needle close so the carb. flooded. They had to take the two new carbs. off and clean them  go through all the fuel lines and make sure nothing is left. Got he motor back Fri. Went out yesterday it was perfect. A lot of anguish, but the dealer has been more than fair with me on the hours they had to work to get the motor running as it should The moral watch out where you get your gas. I go to a busy station the has ethanol free but their tanks must not be use to often or I was just un-lucky. It's been a long ordeal. Now I'll go to another source. The Benny is Happy, My wife is Happy, The Merc. is Happy, and most of all I'm VERY HAPPY.

Have a Great Holiday. I'm one that served and was happy to do so. I want to thank my fellow Band of BROTHERS All, that have defended our freedom so we my have our time to play.

Check your fuel lines to the carbs and make sure they are ethanol safe. One issue is people are putting really good fuel filters on, but the 3-4 feet of line AFTER the filter deteriorates and goes right into the carbs.

Everything is now new from the tank right to the carbs. The problem I think is that not enough non ethanol is pumped at the station so the gas sits in the tank and gets gummed up. It was costly but not as much as replacing the motor. It had been perfect till this year that's why I kept it instead of buying a new one when we bought the Benny. I had had it on a Bentley before. 

Awesome Father's Day on Lake Norman today. Most would refer to the lake as "amateur hour" today but we didn't let that deter us. It doesn't get any better than spending the day with my family out on the water!

Leaving today for our annual 2 week European vacation. After the first 5 days without hearing or speaking English, I'll be desperate to check the forum for updates and to see what's happening.

I've posted some photos of our season to the gallery. See you again in 3 weeks, LKN!

Back