Will this steering wheel work?

Tailgate

Reaction score
My Lowrance HDS5 inch fish finder is mounted in the helm just to right of the steering wheel column.  The steering wheel on my Bennington has fairly wide spokes that prevent a clear view of the FF.   Would this type of wheel work on my toon?  I would use the same size wheel, just the plain thin spokes... are all steering wheels interchangeable  (universal) on the shaft?  

79505_L1.jpeg

I think all Benningtons (far as I know) use Sea Star steering systems (cable or hydraulic).  Unless someone here knows all the Sea Star shafts are the same, you'd need to find out which helm pump you have, then figure out if your wheel will fit that particular Sea Star model.  You should post what kind of steering system you have and whether it is a tilt or not.  Then you'll also have to post some more detail on that wheel...

I like the thin spoke idea though to better see the fish finder.

kaydano, please enlighten me. Why the heck does seastar affect what steering wheel you use?

It's all about the shaft....it's always about the shaft, diameter, length etc.

kaydano, please enlighten me. Why the heck does seastar affect what steering wheel you use?
The shaft comes from them.

Typically Marine helm steering housings use 3/4" tapered shaft with a keyway. I'm no expert, but I've never seen one in another size ..... Except maybe a battleship .... :)

Back