Winter Storage .... How much gas to leave in tank?

Spar-Toon

Reaction score
Zukey - Portage Chain Of Lakes Hamburg MI
First  year boater.  When storing the boat for the winter how much gas should be left in the tanks.  1/4, 1/2, 3/4, Full?   I assume adding some stabilizer would also make sense.  

If you fill it up it leaves no room for air, the moisture condenses out of the air.  So fill it up, and use stabilizer.  Add it on your last outing or run it on the hose to distribute the stabilizer throughout the fuel system.

I WAS a proponent of topping off the tank for the reason stated by mattb.

However, with the advent of ethanol gas, I have reconsidered since ethanol absorbs moisture. Even adding stabilizer is not a 100% remedy. 

My choice today is to store the boat with empty tanks and fill up with FRESH gas in the spring.

Fuel/water separator is a must.

I fill mine up a little over 1/2 way with NON ethanol so I can add fresh gas in the spring

I fill it up ,then minus what ever it takes  to get to the marina for winter storage .About an hour down the river .

I have no access to Ethanol free fuel here, so I drain out as much as possible.

In the fall I start putting Stabil in when I think it's going to be my last tank or so. This way I know it is able to circulate through the fuel system. I have always filled up with ethanol free gas and added more Stabil and I'm all set for another season in the spring. I also change the fuel/water separator filter..........

I use stabil 360 in every gallon of fuel that runs through the motor. Therefor I only have to top off the tank with gas so that there is no room for condensation in the tank. Oh ya, the last tank of fuel is ethanol free. And then run the Etech through the winterizing mode. The motors cpm will fog the motor and shut it down when complete.

I have no access to Ethanol free fuel here, so I drain out as much as possible.

With a 9.9 couln't you just put your fuel in a flask and keep in your pocket? ;)

With a 9.9 couln't you just put your fuel in a flask and keep in your pocket? ;)

Right!

With my old pontoon I had a Honda 9.9 and it had a 3 gallon tank that I'd just carry around for fill ups and such. Still getting used to the mounted unit. I think I've run about 8 gallons so far this summer in 30 hours. :p

Why don't you empty the big tank and just carry a small tank with you?

Right!

With my old pontoon I had a Honda 9.9 and it had a 3 gallon tank that I'd just carry around for fill ups and such. Still getting used to the mounted unit. I think I've run about 8 gallons so far this summer in 30 hours. :p

Holy Toledo Batman, I'm closing in on 600 gallons this year ! Eight gallons won't even do a small bar run.

Back