Winter Storage - What would you do?

lakeliving

Reaction score
So I'm going to keep the boat at home this year for the first winter season and am looking to get some input. Instead of shrinkwrapping that only lasts a season I'm thinking about getting a decent trailer able cover (waterproof) that will last for seasons and in the event I tow to further lakes. The Benny will be under a carport so there will not be any snow load, rain etc getting on it. Is there any concerns with doing this so the fences are covered to protect against blown snow? What should I do with the motor? Tarp it?

finishedcarport_zpsd767429a.jpg

I would get a motor cover ,then use a tarp .Most covers have a soft lining so it "should" not scratch the paint 

Could you put temporary sides (sheet metal) on the structure? My concerns would be:

Fading of the cover. Which would be mitigated with a tarp.

Criters - Bait traps dryer sheets

I used my cover inside a shed, and opening the doors of the shed still blew the dryer sheets around inside.

Using a trailerable cover makes it easier to get in and out of to "work" during warmer days.

Thanks for the input. I'm in the city limits so getting approval to build the carport was a fluke. I'd love to enclose it but there would be some red tape to cut and public notice etc to get an ordinance waiver etc. I'd love to just enclose the whole thing and have a sweet barn!

Regarding critters I can load it up with moth balls and dryer sheets. Maybe some mouse traps or something too. I just trapped 2 raccoons that were in the area so that should help too. I like the freedom of the cover vs shrinkwrap should some fluke weather come up and I need to get out on the boat.

I'll have to look into the motor covers. I wanted one for a while anyway. I'm sick of the birds crapping on it under the lift.

Why don't you use use the playpen cover it came with?!? It's already under roof. That's the big thing! It will keep the snow/rain/sun off. Just put your mothballs, dryer sheets and Damp Rid or Damp Dry and you're all set...........

I agree with big K, add the motor cover and your set.

I was thinking about blowing snow etc. I figured covering the panels would keep it cleaner too. Any concerns with the lower unit down where snow might drift around it? Or just trim up and tarp?

If the motor was down long enough to drain any water and you changed the fluid in the lower, unit trimmed up will be fine. Even shrink wrapped they do mine with the motor trimmed up. They shrink wrap over the motor. Never had a problem. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Our boat get's winterized by the marina at our dock.....same price as if I bring it to them so why not.  

Oil and filter change - lower unit oil change - fuel water separator filter change - fuel stabil poured in the tank  - pull prop to inspect the seal and look for any fishing line we may have picked up during the year and grease all pivot points - all preformed by the marina.

What we like to do in the fall when we are done for the year.  Top off the tank with ethanol free gas and treat it with marine stabil (even though the marina did treat the fuel in their service) - pull the battery and take it home - remove all life vests and anything that can draw moisture in the seat storage (safer keeping at the house for the winter anyway) - throw half a box of dryer sheets all around in every seat and under the helm - wipe the seats down and treat them with a good coat of 303 - install the fitted motor cover - put on the mooring cover - raise the boat as high as it will go on the lift at the marina - put it to bed for a few long months and hope for an early spring.

Our fitted motor cover bought off ebay for less than $90

Our baby's full time home.....summer and winter.

DSCN0752_zps4fac8bb7.jpg

I was thinking about blowing snow etc. I figured covering the panels would keep it cleaner too. Any concerns with the lower unit down where snow might drift around it? Or just trim up and tarp?

I read once to never store a motor tilted up.  Snow can fill the exhaust port (prop), then melt, then refreeze. And crack the lower unit.  I suppose if you covered the prop good enough it would be fine. Just something to think about.

I always thought shrink wrap was a marina thing. If you store it at a marina, months could go by before you checked your boat. So, a cover just isn't permanent enough for that. It can come unsnapped under ice and wind loading, then expose the inside for maybe months. Thus the shrink wrap. It's more of a store it and forget it solution. But you're talking about doing this in your back yard where you can keep an eye on it, so I don't see a problem with what you're contemplating. Worst case, if it doesn't go how you thought you can always shrink wrap it later.

Be sure that the motor is trimmed down before things freeze for long enough to be sure that NO WATER is left to freeze and ruin things. I've always been told to trim down out of water (unless towing) and trim up in the water.

As for critter control, even if you built a barn, as a matter of fact, maybe even more so, mice, squirrels, etc would be a problem. I was a car collector, and winters were always a problem for me, especially up in New England. Nothing like a cold, snowy winter to drive mice into anywhere warmer. I found moth balls effective. Can't vouch for dryer sheets, although they do work well for keeping flying insects away if you put one into your hat/cap.

i would think a trailerable cover would be better. Our boat sits in the water in Florida year around, and is covered with our Benni supplied mooring cover. It's great at keeping water and dirt from getting in, but the way Bennington builds the fences about a half inch off the deck, I would think that blowing snow could be a problem in through those cracks, at least if it snows at your place like it did at our Connecticut home. Good luck!

We store our boat outside in the yard. When our boat is shrink wrapped, the motor is tilted up and the wrap covers the entire motor including the prop and lower unit so no snow there to melt.  I know this partially repeats what I said earlier. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Sea Ray earlier this year and had to tear down and rebuild a carport (boatport) for new Benni.  I started out with just a roof and after seeing my height at 14', I knew I had to do something about wind, rain, and sun...maybe a little snow.  Anyway, I did not fully enclose the boatport, I dropped the sides down 4 feet and that was enough to take care of my concerns.  I hope this helps!/monthly_2016_10/large.IMG_0004.JPG.dda296ea0bc2d3b4f4e7de2feb618b51.JPG 

I had a Sea Ray earlier this year and had to tear down and rebuild a carport (boatport) for new Benni.  I started out with just a roof and after seeing my height at 14', I knew I had to do something about wind, rain, and sun...maybe a little snow.  Anyway, I did not fully enclose the boatport, I dropped the sides down 4 feet and that was enough to take care of my concerns.  I hope this helps!/monthly_2016_10/large.IMG_0004.JPG.dda296ea0bc2d3b4f4e7de2feb618b51.JPG 

Very nice! Did you say snow?!? In NC?!? 

Given that our carport serves as a primary garage partially closing in the sides would make it cumbersome getting in and out. I do like the idea though and maybe next year I'll bite the bullet and just enclose it (providing approval is granted)

Very nice! Did you say snow?!? In NC?!? 

Well...it used to when I was a kid.  With the temperatures we've had this fall, one never knows.  Our weather is just weird...but our boating season is very long!

Well...it used to when I was a kid.  With the temperatures we've had this fall, one never knows.  Our weather is just weird...but our boating season is very long!

We've been here for 2 winters. I only wore a windbreaker at the most the first year. Last year when it snowed it started melting before I could get the snowblower out.....

I told you it was a waste of time to bring it.  :)

I told you it was a waste of time to bring it.  :)

The second I get rid of it.........Lake Norman will have a blizzard!

The second I get rid of it.........Lake Norman will have a blizzard!

Please get rid of it!  I miss the snow...a little.  I like it here because it falls and melts.  Up in North Dakota and Alaska, it fell and then we had to wait months for it to go away.  ...that's why I moved back home to North Carolina.  Fishing and boating all year round! :)  

Back