Winter Storage - What would you do?

Spent the Columbus Day weekend at the lake.  Boat came out a couple of weeks ago but had a blast running along the beach along the receding water line in my friend Mark's Polaris Ranger.  That thing moves along pretty good and I was amazed at how smooth a ride with the great suspension system in that thing.  Heading down to Florida on Saturday

NC here too.... last year we had an inch or so of slush/ice. I went to the boat and it took an hour or so getting it all off the cover.  That's the only thing that scares me is if we do get a few inches of snow how will the cover handle it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about putting a portable heater inside the boat (under the cover) and turn it on when you expect to have the freezing precipitation. You can put the thermostat on the lowest setting, and even at 55-60* stat setting, it should keep the snow/ice melted at the rate it's falling. Just a suggestion. I keep a portable in the basement of our fiver for that reason; to keep the water lines from freezing in the extreme cold. It's worked for 10 years.

I wish,  I'm in a lot on a trailer about 8 miles from the house. No electric, batteries won't work/last, and I don't think a "gas" heater is a good idea under the cover. hmmm..... any solar ideas? I use solar to keep my batteries in tip top shape during the winter.

Does anyone use the "Damp-Rid" packs in their boat? I bought a few for under the seats and helm. My boat is being shrink wrapped and stored outdoors.

I use it but 2 large tubs instead of the smaller packs. Mine is shrink wrapped and stored outside also and the tubs definitely soak up the moisture. Doesn't prevent all spotting/mildew so you still have cleanup to do in the spring. Don't forget mothballs and/or dryer sheets to repel critters. I use both. 

I'm trying to prevent mildew etc when adding another cover. It seems trailerable covers etc don't have vents in them. So If I got one and put it over my existing cover the vents would be rendered useless. And cutting vents into a new cover would void any warranty. I rather not remove the playpen cover as I've read horror stories of other covers bleeding onto the seats.

I've also seen where people buy oval pool covers and cinch them down around the rub rail protecting everything.

Maybe I am over thinking this and a tarp will be fine.

Base upon what I know of you through this forum and the pictures you've posted, I'd suggest that you search for indoor storage. Given your location, I really can't imagine that there isn't someplace around that you could store your beauty for a fairly reasonable price. 

Just saying...

My trailerable cover had vents in it. Pics in my gallery.

Maybe I am over thinking this and a tarp will be fine.

You've got a shingled roof over the boat with the factory playpen cover installed. So I would just go and get a full length tarp and cover the boat from bow to stern. Put the rodent protection in the boat and cover it up. The car port roof will protect the covers from heavy snows and deter against the blowing snow and rains.Just do it and stop worrying.

Thanks for the input. I'm in the city limits so getting approval to build the carport was a fluke. I'd love to enclose it but there would be some red tape to cut and public notice etc to get an ordinance waiver etc. I'd love to just enclose the whole thing and have a sweet barn!

Regarding critters I can load it up with moth balls and dryer sheets. Maybe some mouse traps or something too. I just trapped 2 raccoons that were in the area so that should help too. I like the freedom of the cover vs shrinkwrap should some fluke weather come up and I need to get out on the boat.

I'll have to look into the motor covers. I wanted one for a while anyway. I'm sick of the birds crapping on it under the lift.

Why don't you just tarp all around the carport? Get the thick heavy stuff and attach it all around the 3 sides, then get a section for the front. Nothing is permanent so I can't see it being a problem. Just a thought. 

Woo hoo......got a call from the marina that our boat was winterized today!  Good thing as they say the weekend here is going to get pretty cold at night (in the 20's)......right after an upper 60's and low 70's temp on thursday and friday. 

They got that done just in time!

To bring this full circle I ended up going with a heavy duty generic pontoon cover. Cannot remember the brand but pretty happy with it. I bought a full motor cover too so the F200 is wrapped in tight and protected from the elements as well. Fits pretty good too. As you can see the buggy is all set now too!

4A23374D-F85F-4FA9-A37C-94C6413AC0E4_zps99lrsfh7.jpg

All's well that ends well...

Back