Wipe down

jraines

Reaction score
We keep our boat in storage under cover on concrete on the trailer. Is their a need to wipe down the boat after every weekend or just once a month or so?

We have learned we need to put the cover on it to prevent the thin layer of Texas dirt that blows being on the interior and floor, but I see all these guys with their fancy ski boats wiping down their boats every day and it got me wondering.

Exactly.  I used to wipe my fiberglass boats down shortly after retrieving to reduce the water spot issue.  I still gave it a good wipe down with Boat Candy once I got it back in the garage to make sure they were all gone.  Aside from giving it a good wax once a year that's about the only maintenance I did on it and it looked like new when I sold it.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you get the water spots off once they dry on? It seems to be a recurring issue with my pontoons that have sharkhide applied?

I remove spots with 50/50 water and vinegar works very well.

Of course you wipe it down!!! These boats are spaceships, the pride of the dock and slip, the bell of the ball. Do you want someone walking by when you are not there and saying, "Dang , How come that guy does not take care of such a nice boat?" I have been that guy!!  Now I will admit, most of the time top portion panel and frame really gets the most love, SS side rail too. Fresh water rinse off of the toons and a quick wipe there. Spots on the toons? (even with Sharkhide on mine ) Oh well that's fine with me, mineral deposits in all our lakes I don't sweat that area anymore. This boils down to its looking good the next time the boat goes out. Interior gets probably gets the most attention  on a regular basis. Lets not forget resale value. I do not let this boat become a maintenance bear, I just pick and choose what area needs attention, Usually about 1.5 hours of love per weekend of boating enjoyment.That time includes putting the cover back on. (Wife and friends help too) Tunes and beverages still flow during all that process. When is the last time you put Dollar Store Chapstick on your cover snaps? Did that last weekend, (5 min)

Now if I could just get those spiders to not poop on the area I just cleaned!!! (Chemical warfare to happen this weekend, on the boat slip!!!) I will let the spiders poop on the the guys boat that does not get wiped down. Jus saying

Best Regards

I give mine a good soapy bath a couple times a season. When the dog shakes off on the aft deck I dry the panels, vacuum the carpets and that is about it. When I go out on my buddy's Monterey we dry it down as soon as it is back on the trailer. As for spiders sometimes I go out to the lift at night when they are out and kill as many as I can find. Seems to help.

As a general rule, I give the boat a quick clean up and wipe down after each outing. Sometimes it may be the following day. I have my share of products for a quick clean and or wax cut with cleaning product. Vin and water is great for water spots. I also find it is a good time to give the boat the once over to look for any problems or issues.

I also have my boats detailed at least once or twice a year. Lastly, I have used the Hot Sauce products, but have not been impressed. Maybe it was because I used them when they first came out. Maybe they are better now or reformulated.

Cheers, Steve

Hot Sauce is the BEST!!! I use it after every trip to the lake. We order the one gallon size on-line. The same company also makes a toon sauce but I have not tried it yet. Be careful what you use on the toons with the Sharkhyde.

I use 50/50 water and vinegar too.  Cheap.  You can get a gallon of vinegar at Walmart for under $2.  Works just fine at taking the hard water spots off.  Microfiber cloth.  Your hands smell like vinegar for a while though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back