Yamaha 10 Hour maintenance

CaneRiver 15

Reaction score
The new Bennington 20 SL is coming up on the initial 10 hour maintenance of the Yamaha 90. In looking at the Yamaha manual it indicates oil change and lower gear oil change but clearly doesn't indicate the oil filter needs to be changed at 10 hours. Any one have thoughts on that. Bought all my maintenance items less the filters but having second thoughts on the need to change the filter. Thanks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I had always been told ( on anything that needs an oil change  ) Why put clean oil though a dirty filter?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had always been told ( on anything that needs an oil change  ) Why put clean oil though a dirty filter?
+1   It's not expensive and you start fresh.

Defiantly new oil filter! :rolleyes:

On my F150, the first service was scheduled by the factory at 20 hours--not 10 hours.  No oil filter was specified, however I changed it.  I'd like to meet the Japanese guy that put on that filter at the factory, as an almost inhuman effort was required to remove the OEM filter the first time.

The F150 Yamaha oil filter is the same filter that fits a late model 2.0 engine used in the Ford Focus, and it''s so much cheaper.

My original warranty will expire in July of this year, and my motor's never seen the shop.  Yamaha's trying get me to extend the warranty 1, 2 and 3 years for $800, $1150 and $1500.  That's a bunch of money for someone that does good to put 30 hrs. a year on a motor. 

Changing oil, filter and lower unit grease is about it for yearly maintenance (50 hrs.) on these motors.  That's a whole lot less than late model 2 stroke bass boat motors require in a year's time.

Looks like I will be changing the oil filter. Probably get the wrench cup filter tool. Thanks all.

On the new Merc 150 four stroke you just push a button and the filter spins off for you.

I have a 2015 2275 GCW. Can you vacuum pump the motor oil out of a Yamaha F150 while the boat is on a lift in a boat house? Is it possible to change F150 gear oil with the boat on the lift? 

Is anyone using synthetic oil in their F150? 

Yes. you can pump out the oil. I use synthetic in my 150 Honda. I haven't tried the lower unit yet.

Changing oil, filter and lower unit grease is about it for yearly maintenance (50 hrs.) on these motors.  That's a whole lot less than late model 2 stroke bass boat motors require in a year's time.
I'm not a huge Evinrude 2 stroke fan but they advertise their outboards are lower cost for ownership than 4 stroke engines.  I had a Yamaha F150 on my previous boat and know what is required for it.  I now have an Evinrude 225 HO and know what is required for it.  Here is some more info on what they are saying about the Evinrude outboards.

http://www.evinrude.com/en-us/videos?idVideo=PLLNToI-Ih4_hQaU2pLPqmUl75cjDe3DZs

Yep, you can pump the grease out.  And it's very, very easy to drain the fluids into a drain pan--if the waves aren't knocking you around. 

When draining the lower unit  and doing an oil change on a boat lift, you could easily lose a drain plug--expensive for what they are.  Remember you need little paper gaskets to change fluids.

I changed over to Mobil 1 EP last year at 40 hours usage.  Wanted the rings to get broken in properly before switching.  Note that I'm using Mobil 1 EP which is a far superior oil to plain Mobil 1.  Someone could probably use this oil and lengthen the change frequency, however it's not worth the risk.  I'm sticking with the 50 engine hour/12 month oil change.

What are the little paper gaskets you are referring to?

On the new Merc 150 four stroke you just push a button and the filter spins off for you.
On a yamaha it does it automatically, shines your shoes and grabs the Sunday paper.

Neither do we!!!

Back