Yamaha Extended Warranty vs. Cash Back

AndrewG

Reaction score
Hello all...

Yamaha just introduced a promotion this month (which I just found out about) on many of their outboard engines, from 2.5 to 300HP.  It is their "Legendary Reliability" promotion.  Seems that they are offering either 2 additional years of coverage (over the normal 3), or $1,500 back, to be used toward the purchase price of the boat or other accessories from the Yamaha dealer.  Here is the link to the promotion:

http://yamahaoutboards.com/yamaha-advantage/news/company-news/yamaha%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%9Clegendary-reliability%E2%80%9D-sales-event-gives-customers

What are everyone's thoughts on this.  Take the additional 2 years on the warranty, or take the $1,500?  This is on the Yamaha VF250 motor.

Thanks,

Andrew

Read the fine print. If it's like it was for my two purchases, the cash back is based on % of MSRP paid. I took cash back first time and extended warranty second time since I was pretty sure I'd finally bought the right boat. It was only $750 back for my F200 though. That and I got like 40% off that boat so my cash (actually store credit) incentive would have nearly been cut in half. Warranty stayed the same. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go for the warranty. Extras are cool but peace of mind is better. $1500 sounds like a lot, but not when it comes to Marina repair bills.

Warranty for sure. I find value in having peace of mind.

Take the money. When the warranty runs out, you still have the cash. This is from an old retiree who never gets extended warranties and never needed them. You're buying the best, you won't need it.

You are also a retired mechanic!!! I'd say you are a little better with a wrench than most! :p

Take the cash and roll it into a low stakes poker game.

I took the warranty.  Hard to miss something you never had. 

You are also a retired mechanic!!! I'd say you are a little better with a wrench than most! :p
Thank you for the compliment Andy. But.....What I meant was, unless you're buying an expensive used car, an extended warranty is a waste. And yes, I would buy a warranty for a used Benz or Porsche even though I used to work for them. Parts and control units are expensive. And, a properly maintained outboard will last far longer than the warranty.

I agree with CWag, take the cash.  As he said you are buying quality up front.  Extended warranties are huge money makers for the company.  When I was at AT&T selling business phone systems at times I would be offered a 25% addition to my commission if I could sell a single one year extended warranty

I'd go for the warranty. Extras are cool but peace of mind is better. $1500 sounds like a lot, but not when it comes to Marina repair bills.

That's for sure. One prop shaft will cost you that, and that is most likely a very typical replacement part. I know if was for me; within a couple of months of my purchase of the boat. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I was lucky enough to buy my boat when Yamaha was doing their promotion last year.  Got 3 years of extended warranty included for free.  I don't usually buy extended warranties just because I never end up using them.  Chances are I'll never use the Yamaha one either but it sure is peace of mind knowing I've got 6 years covered right off the bat.  I did the same thing when I had my SW boat with twin 150's.  Got 3 years covered extra on twin engines but thankfully never used it.  

I was lucky enough to buy my boat when Yamaha was doing their promotion last year.  Got 3 years of extended warranty included for free.  I don't usually buy extended warranties just because I never end up using them.  Chances are I'll never use the Yamaha one either but it sure is peace of mind knowing I've got 6 years covered right off the bat.  I did the same thing when I had my SW boat with twin 150's.  Got 3 years covered extra on twin engines but thankfully never used it.
We got the same 6 years on the motor. I agree totally with Havasu on this. 7 years on the boat and 6 on the motor gives me peace of mind, and the $1,500, well, that would get spent on something else ayway, seems like "found" money never lasts long! Hey, just my opinion, yours may vary.

Thanks for the advice and opinions guys...

Andrew

Back