Yamaha SDS or not for F150

Chris Z

Reaction score
Going to order a new Yamaha Reliance stainless prop for my 2275GCW and I'm wondering if SDS is worth the extra money for the prop and the thrust washer that needs to be purchased with it. I have noticed just a touch of gear noise at idle with the black aluminum prop the boat is currently wearing. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
My Merc 150 runs silent on an aluminum. Put stainless on it and it rattles so bad guests that don't know what the noise is wonder if we're going to make it back to the marina!  

If your aluminum is already rattling, I'm betting you'll wish you went with the SDS for your new prop.  Someone with your setup will chime in, but I'd go SDS. On the Merc side, it would be less than a $50 upgrade. 

I cake my hub thick with grease, and it helps deaden the rattle quite a bit, but it still makes a lot of noise.  I'll be upgrading before boating season this year.

Welcome back!

I have a 22sf on order with a mercury 115 pro xs 4 stroke command thrust on it. I ordered it to come with a stainless prop and would like to avoid the prop rattle. What would be the best prop to put on it.

I have the SDS prop/hub on my F200 and love it. The reliance prop doesn't rattle and you get smoother gear changes.

I have a 22sf on order with a mercury 115 pro xs 4 stroke command thrust on it. I ordered it to come with a stainless prop and would like to avoid the prop rattle. What would be the best prop to put on it.

You'll want a Flo Torq 4 hub kit. Get the right size.  $90.  No rattle.

Best prop?  You just touched the tip of the iceberg with that question...

I have the SDS prop/hub on my F200 and love it. The reliance prop doesn't rattle and you get smoother gear changes.

Did you take deliver of your F200 with the typical black prop and then upgrade or did the dealer swap it out for you?

My F150 came from the dealer with an aluminum black prop on it and it works very nicely until you really load the boat up. After that it just doesn't allow the motor to get it's muscle to the water effectively.

It came from the dealer that way. Part of our deal was that the boat would come delivered with the stainless reliance prop. The f200 comes with the sds hub standard so it wasn't a special request in that regard.

kysportsman

We ordered the same engine. Boat is in but no water test yet as we are locked in ice. Our dealer plans to use the Mercury Enertia. There's a lot of great info on the Mercurymarine.com website. I can't wait to see what that engine will do... the description sounds really good! Ours is going on a 20SSRCXP.

What he said!!

As I continue to shop and study I'm wondering if any of you have substituted a Power Tech prop instead of a genuine Yamaha Reliance? Their props are highly recommended by Ken over at PropGods and they seem willing to work with you if you need to return your purchase to try something different (style, pitch and diameter).

Any thoughts?

I've always used the factory Yamaha props.

I have a Mercury Enertia on our Honda and love it.

Love my power tech prop but it is on the I/O.  Not apples to apples put very pleased. 

Back