Yamaha vs Mercury

Julianna

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I currently own a Bennington 2016 SX with a Yamaha V115. I am looking to upgrade to a 2022 or 2023. But I am noticing that the newer boats are using Mercury more often. Is there a reason for this? I live in SWFL and from day one neighbors told me to buy a Yamaha due to the saltwater. Is this true? I have only had minor problems with my Yahama so am curious to know what everyone thinks? Have a great day and thank you

It's just a personal preference, and both brands had shortage issues.

Chevy v Ford anyone? Anyone that is decisive about one being better than the other gets the skeptical side eye from me.

They both are excellent, and really have great track records in the 2000’s. Your issue above might simply be due to motor shortages and availability, or dealerships switching to Merc’s in your area for whatever reason. It seems to me that motor brand prevalence seems somewhat regional between Yamaha, Mercury and Suzuki in particular.

Personally we have a Mercury Verado Pro. Couldn’t be more pleased with it. If I had a Yamaha SHO instead, I am sure I’d be equally thrilled with it. We went Mercury mainly because our local Bennington dealership is Mercury certified, and sells primarily Mercury motors. Since I am more used to seeing Merc’s, it also checked my motor comfort box too. AND…since they’ll be the one’s servicing my boat, I stuck with a Mercury on the back of my boat.

Had they been a Yamaha dealership, I would have went Yamaha. If the dealership nearest you is Mercury certified, then I’d go for it without reservation. That said, I cannot speak to salt water experience or use. We are from Michigan, and our waters are Unsalted. ;)

Besides, black cowl Mercury’s simply look :cool:. I say that with complete personal bias! :D

+1 what Jeff said. I read somewhere that Yamaha’s dominance in Florida has more to do with marketing than anything else. Of course, everything you read on the internet is true. Lol!

Chevy v Ford anyone? Anyone that is decisive about one being better than the other gets the skeptical side eye from me.

They both are excellent, and really have great track records in the 2000’s. Your issue above might simply be due to motor shortages and availability, or dealerships switching to Merc’s in your area for whatever reason. It seems to me that motor brand prevalence seems somewhat regional between Yamaha, Mercury and Suzuki in particular.

Personally we have a Mercury Verado Pro. Couldn’t be more pleased with it. If I had a Yamaha SHO instead, I am sure I’d be equally thrilled with it. We went Mercury mainly because our local Bennington dealership is Mercury certified, and sells primarily Mercury motors. Since I am more used to seeing Merc’s, it also checked my motor comfort box too. AND…since they’ll be the one’s servicing my boat, I stuck with a Mercury on the back of my boat.

Had they been a Yamaha dealership, I would have went Yamaha. If the dealership nearest you is Mercury certified, then I’d go for it without reservation. That said, I cannot speak to salt water experience or use. We are from Michigan, and our waters are Unsalted. ;)

Besides, black cowl Mercury’s simply look :cool:. I say that with complete personal bias! :D
Unsalted water. Ha!

if you get the simrad with the mercury and you tow people, Mercury has a "perfect pass" type system that (for me) would have been a very nice to have. Can set it then the wife just has to "floor it" and it will run the profile to change the speed automatically. She doesn't drive often and doesn't really care for it, so would make it easier for me to get out there and board.

I think you have good advice... both are excellent these days. whatever the dealer you buy from is certified to service would be my choice.

that said, I think the Mercury packages have some nice "upgrade" features that are accessible at a lower price than Yamaha. if you want some nice stats on your simrad like fuel burn, Mercury can get you into that much cheaper via some of the Bennington factory configs. They are of course available with Yamaha, but usually the Yamaha's around me are paired with the Garmin Stryker which doesn't have a hook up to the engine bus...

That may not be an issue for you, but as a salt water boater, you are likely to install a much more robust unit with full maps and integration anyway...

Mercury is new tech with all the bells and whistles. Had some issues with lower units losing their paint. Power appears to be strong throughout the range and fuel economy better than the Yamaha.

Yamaha has had the same old design (for the most part) for the past 15 year +/- and there are many examples of them lasting thousands of hours - proven reliability. The did have some problems with flywheels on the 350hp engines, making oil (fuel dilution) on the V6's and rotting exhaust midsections on saltwater uses.

Right now if I were doing a build I would go Mercury 100% if there were a factory tech nearby that could service it during the warranty period. It's a better engine on too many levels and too many positive testimonials to ignore. But a Yamaha will likely be cheaper since Bennington sells so many of them so that could be a huge factor given most of us go into a build with a hard budget. When I priced mine out in 2020 the Yamaha (F250) saved me more than $2K and allowed me to add a few other key options like power steering.

You'll be happy with either though, they just have their tradeoffs.

Both are good, since you have Yamaha now, I would think it would be easier (cheaper) to rig with another Yamaha.

Both are good, since you have Yamaha now, I would think it would be easier (cheaper) to rig with another Yamaha.
If the OP is repowering ,it's much less to stick with the current brand. Changing controls is not cheap .

I thought the OP was looking at new boats, or newer pre-owned boats. Hey Juliana, OOC are you looking for insights on repowering your current boat with a newer motor, or looking at buying an actual newer boat?

Yep , thats how I understood it as well . Currently owns a 2016 ,looking for a 2022 or 2023 .
I thought the OP was looking at new boats, or newer pre-owned boats. Hey Juliana, OOC are you looking for insights on repowering your current boat with a newer motor, or looking at buying an actual newer boat?

Well, if we are advising how to spend money...... I had to look it up - $10.5 million, before the cost of optional dual engines. :oops: :eek::rolleyes::cool:

Attachments

• Amazing Boats orsos-island.jpg
    Amazing Boats orsos-island.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Mercury is new tech with all the bells and whistles. Had some issues with lower units losing their paint. Power appears to be strong throughout the range and fuel economy better than the Yamaha.

Yamaha has had the same old design (for the most part) for the past 15 year +/- and there are many examples of them lasting thousands of hours - proven reliability. The did have some problems with flywheels on the 350hp engines, making oil (fuel dilution) on the V6's and rotting exhaust midsections on saltwater uses.

Right now if I were doing a build I would go Mercury 100% if there were a factory tech nearby that could service it during the warranty period. It's a better engine on too many levels and too many positive testimonials to ignore. But a Yamaha will likely be cheaper since Bennington sells so many of them so that could be a huge factor given most of us go into a build with a hard budget. When I priced mine out in 2020 the Yamaha (F250) saved me more than $2K and allowed me to add a few other key options like power steering.

You'll be happy with either though, they just have their tradeoffs.
You're exactly right about the paint issue in Mercs lower units. They replaced mine under warranty after the paint bubbled up then later discolored with streaks.....

You're exactly right about the paint issue in Mercs lower units. They replaced mine under warranty after the paint bubbled up then later discolored with streaks.....

I think that's important to note - everything I've read is Mercury has been VERY good about taking care of these paint issues. Maybe a little annoying but Yamaha has their issues as well. Ford vs Chevy!

Back