2150 RL

darrigo

Reaction score
Does anyone own a Bennington 2150 RL.  If so, I'd like some feedback as to your likes and dislikes and why you chose this model.

Many thanks.

I've never heard of a 2150rl. What year is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd prefer a little longer boat.  The internet pictures above were somewhat inconsistent in seating.

The most popular models presently have the lounge bed(s) behind the driver's console facing the rear.  My 24SSLX has the one 48" rear facing lounger, and the front lounges are very long because I've got the longer hulls.  I especially like the extended rear decks getting passengers on and off the boat--and it makes tying up to docks so much easier.

I have a 2275 RLi which is a foot longer. I have the sun deck/changing room which this model does not . That would be a deal breaker for us. 

We would really need more info on what the boat you are looking at, year, options, etc... to give fair judgement. 

I have a 2275 RLi which is a foot longer. I have the sun deck/changing room which this model does not . That would be a deal breaker for us. 

We would really need more info on what the boat you are looking at, year, options, etc... to give fair judgement. 

Right now I have a 2016 2274 GL powered by a Yamaha 250 Vmax Sho.  The boat is big and difficult to sheer quickly at slow speeds.  My wife won't even attempt to dock the boat.  Because of the two side doors the helm is further back and with the weight of the engine it sits stern heavy.  Really hard to see over the bow of the boat without one standing up.  The boat is 24' LOA but we added an extended aft deck making the boat 25' LOA (or there abouts).  We chose the Ivory Classic interior but they changed the material this year and the boat interior looks and feels cheap.  The boat will do 45 mph on a good day but on busy days when there's lots of boats out and a lot of chop, I have problems doing even 30 mph without getting bounced around.  I was think a smaller boat and came across the 2150 RL.  The boat is 23' LOA and we'd go with the extended aft again so the boat would only be 1 ft shorter.  The boat has only a port side door making the helm closer to the bow and go with the 150 Yamaha hoping to make the boat (i) easier to drive and (2) making the wife happy.

A smaller boat isn't going to ride better in chop.  A 1' shorter boat isn't going to help you dock it any easier.  Instead of taking a big depreciation hit on a brand new boat, why not maybe invest in some professional docking lessons?  At least in my area that is a guy that is a licensed boat captain and will take you out on your boat and help you with whatever you need help with.  

For the cost of the hit you would take on trading in a new boat, you might be able to afford having joystick controls installed.

Anyone know if these are advantageous on a single outboard?

You need at least 2 engines

Right now I have a 2016 2274 GL powered by a Yamaha 250 Vmax Sho.  The boat is big and difficult to sheer quickly at slow speeds.  My wife won't even attempt to dock the boat.  Because of the two side doors the helm is further back and with the weight of the engine it sits stern heavy.  Really hard to see over the bow of the boat without one standing up.  The boat is 24' LOA but we added an extended aft deck making the boat 25' LOA (or there abouts).  We chose the Ivory Classic interior but they changed the material this year and the boat interior looks and feels cheap.  The boat will do 45 mph on a good day but on busy days when there's lots of boats out and a lot of chop, I have problems doing even 30 mph without getting bounced around.  I was think a smaller boat and came across the 2150 RL.  The boat is 23' LOA and we'd go with the extended aft again so the boat would only be 1 ft shorter.  The boat has only a port side door making the helm closer to the bow and go with the 150 Yamaha hoping to make the boat (i) easier to drive and (2) making the wife happy.

Give it time.  Your skills will get better and docking will become easier for you.  You can then help the wife learn.  Its not the boat as much as the technique maybe.  I have a 28 footer and it's definitely more challenging then some of the more smaller boats I've been use to.  It will come to you.

Any pontoon can definitely be frustrating when docking, like a giant sail. We went from a 24' 2 toon Harris down to a 22' Harris years ago, mainly because we didn't need the capacity. Unfortunately, I didn't find low speed maneuvering improved at all in that case.

Your idle speed handling may actually get worse with a 150, unless you plan to add power assisted steering. I'm assuming the SHO has this already.

If you choose a new boat, many also highly recommend the elevated helm, which helps to see over the bow.

Agree w/MH663. It'll come to you. Practice makes perfect. Don't give up on it!

Why is it hard to steer at slow speeds? It has power steering correct?

Agree w/MH663. It'll come to you. Practice makes perfect. Don't give up on it!

Why is it hard to steer at slow speeds? It has power steering correct?

I don't know why (it does have the power assist).  Sometimes I need to make real fast adjustments and the sheering grabs.  With my other boats, I could do this easily.  It's just frustrating with this one.

Any pontoon can definitely be frustrating when docking, like a giant sail. We went from a 24' 2 toon Harris down to a 22' Harris years ago, mainly because we didn't need the capacity. Unfortunately, I didn't find low speed maneuvering improved at all in that case.

Your idle speed handling may actually get worse with a 150, unless you plan to add power assisted steering. I'm assuming the SHO has this already.

If you choose a new boat, many also highly recommend the elevated helm, which helps to see over the bow.

We thought about the elevated helm as well.

Thanks for all of your replies.  Funny thing, I've been doing this for around 10 years logging 100+ hrs per year and now we have the camper enclosure on our 20 ft Benny, it's closer to 150+ hrs per year.  It's almost like I lost all that experience.  It's so frustrating.

Sometimes docking how you "think" is best, is completely different than the best way. Even though I only have a 20hp (lake restriction) docking can be fun on windy days. I have to power in fast when winds blowing out from dock, and just let the wind do the work when blowing from lake side. Luckily I took and end slot, so I have no boat beside me. It's just taken lots of practice and 1 out of 10 I have to regroup and try again. With a camper enclosure it would be real fun .....  :wacko: . I agree that the hit on trading would be better spent. Dropping a foot won't help. Maybe trade down in motor if you are thinking less power will help?? 

The longest version of the 2274 GL is 24 LOA. Your extended Aft only puts a deck out to the longest point on your boat so it is only 24' not 25'. I almost bought the 2016 2274 GL and was very aware of LOA as I did not want a boat longer than 24' as it would extent to far beyond my Marina covered slip.

The longest version of the 2274 GL is 24 LOA. Your extended Aft only put a deck out to the longest point on your boat so it is only 24' not 25'. I almost bought the 2016 2274 GL and was very aware of LOA as I did not want a boat longer than 24' as it would extent to far beyond mt Marina covered slip.

So with the extended aft, they shorten the interior to keep the LOA fixed at 24'.  I didn't know that.

Sometimes docking how you "think" is best, is completely different than the best way. Even though I only have a 20hp (lake restriction) docking can be fun on windy days. I have to power in fast when winds blowing out from dock, and just let the wind do the work when blowing from lake side. Luckily I took and end slot, so I have no boat beside me. It's just taken lots of practice and 1 out of 10 I have to regroup and try again. With a camper enclosure it would be real fun .....  :wacko: . I agree that the hit on trading would be better spent. Dropping a foot won't help. Maybe trade down in motor if you are thinking less power will help?? 

We only use the camper enclosure during the winter.  At our lake (Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs AR) they drop the lake and the traffic is reduced by 75% or more so there is relatively no wake coming into our slip (in a narrow cove off the main channel).

So with the extended aft, they shorten the interior to keep the LOA fixed at 24'.  I didn't know that.

No the interior is not shortened . The way LOA is measured is from the longest point from bow to the farthest point on the stern, which with out extended aft deck is measured to the farthest point of metal on the transom. The extended aft deck covers the metal of the transom on both sides of motor, you're only increasing the amount of deck space you're not increasing the length of your boat. The deck length on your boat was originally 22' 6" and is now 24' with extended aft deck.  Your pontoons  are 22' 4" in length. Hopefully this makes sense.

Back