23R VS 25R ride quality and performance questions

Todd & Amanda

Reaction score
Hi all, we're still trying to narrow down which toon to order. We spent the weekend at a few dealerships looking at in stock inventory and we're getting closer to placing the order. We looked at some 23ft and 25ft toons and would like some input from some who hopefully have owned both or driven both at some point. There's typically only 3 of us on board and occasionally 5 so we really don't need the 25ft for passengers but one dealer mentioned the ride of the 25 so it has us thinking. On the builds we are looking at the 23 to 25 upgrade will be around $2800 difference.

Either of these is most  likely going to have the 300 Verado hanging on it.

What kind of rough water ride difference is there?

How will the extra 2 feet affect the speed?

Is the handling changed much?

Is it worth $2800 difference or would the extra cash be better used on something else?

Hi Todd

I have a 2275RL with the 3 tube Express, It rides very smooth on  choppy water. We dont get really rough water here in Tn on Center hill or Dale Hollow but what I have been on as far as rough has really amazed me the quality of ride. I have attempted to out run several storms and run flat out on rough water and never once felt out of control or hard to handle.

I have a 23 RBR with a 225.  I have not been on a 25' Benny.  That being said, I believe our ride is fantastic.  The only thing I would change about my boat would be to have a bigger engine as it really is exhilarating flying over the water.  Thus, if you are going to throw a 300 on the back, the 23 will be faster and save you money.

I vote for the 23 as well. The ride will be awesome. Are you in a warmer climate where you can water test both lengths now before placing an order? Given the few number of people as well it makes sense to go on the 23. Easier to tow, maneuver around the dock etc.

I vote for the 23 as well. The ride will be awesome. Are you in a warmer climate where you can water test both lengths now before placing an order? Given the few number of people as well it makes sense to go on the 23. Easier to tow, maneuver around the dock etc.

Unfortunately it's not warm enough here in KY to demo any right now. My last toon was a 25 and the ride was amazing and I assume the ride of the 23 is very good as well. We were looking at a 25Q swing back and it has the same seating as the 23R then we got to wondering if the ride would be that much better.

23' SPS with a 300, will. be. fun.  Our 22 rides just awesome on our local lake and it gets hammered on the weekends.  Take the difference and get a "tune" on the Verado, even more fun.

200 is the max for sps. ESP will be needed for 300 ponies. I want to go for a ride with a verado as well. Can you hear the supercharger whine?

I suggest you search out and compare the weight difference between the 23' and the 25'. You might be surprised. There is a connection between weight and horsepower and speed.

Unfortunately it's not warm enough here in KY to demo any right now. My last toon was a 25 and the ride was amazing and I assume the ride of the 23 is very good as well. We were looking at a 25Q swing back and it has the same seating as the 23R then we got to wondering if the ride would be that much better.

Todd its going to be 63 deg on Thursday and 57 on Saturday, Plenty warm enough for a test ride! You need to call Ricky and tell him your on the way for your test ride!!  :D

Our test drive was done in the mid 40's. Dress for the weather. 

What model are you looking at? If it has extended aft deck, you'll be at 25'1" deck on the 23' model, so you want to be careful of dock size/limits. We have a 22RLi, it has a TON of room and now going to 23GCW and we are gaining 3' of deck space. 

I can't comment on power or 25' ride.

What model are you looking at? If it has extended aft deck, you'll be at 25'1" deck on the 23' model, so you want to be careful of dock size/limits. We have a 22RLi, it has a TON of room and now going to 23GCW and we are gaining 3' of deck space. 

I can't comment on power or 25' ride.

I will look at some specs on them. We are looking at the 23RSB and 25RSB and 25QSB. Our covered slip for the boat is 30ft long so it'll fit no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Todd

I have a 2275RL with the 3 tube Express, It rides very smooth on  choppy water. We dont get really rough water here in Tn on Center hill or Dale Hollow but what I have been on as far as rough has really amazed me the quality of ride. I have attempted to out run several storms and run flat out on rough water and never once felt out of control or hard to handle.

Dale Hollow is where we boat at, we have a houseboat at Sulphur Creek marina. It gets pretty rough on the holiday weekends but other than that it's never to bad.

Dale Hollow is where we boat at, we have a houseboat at Sulphur Creek marina. It gets pretty rough on the holiday weekends but other than that it's never to bad.

Todd your making me homesick, We purchased a HB on Center Hill this past year only because of travel time. It takes another hour or more from the house to get to Dale Hollow. I like the eats at Sulphur. And yes when you get out to the big water on a Saturday afternoon you better hold on it gets churned up for sure. Have seen any eagles this winter?

Todd your making me homesick, We purchased a HB on Center Hill this past year only because of travel time. It takes another hour or more from the house to get to Dale Hollow. I like the eats at Sulphur. And yes when you get out to the big water on a Saturday afternoon you better hold on it gets churned up for sure. Have seen any eagles this winter?

We haven't been down since November but we saw several eagles over the summer. Sulphur creek has a eagle cam if you go to their website so you can watch them. 

Awesome!!

I suggest you go onto pontoonforums.com and post this question.  There's some people with your type of boats on there.  A member named "Bryden"  had a Verado 225 with a Simon Motorsports ECU flash to 315 hp ($650), as he's especially knowledgable about high horsepower pontoons and their propellers.  He's now running a 300 Yamaha.

I'd stick with the 23 with the extended rear end.  Sometimes you've got to draw a line in the sand on length, as these boats and their tow vehicles can get just so long..

I have been reading the 23' votes,but I must say the 25RCW with ESP is virtually impossible to stop in rough waters. I love to hit the ocean and our inlet can turn some nasty swells and waves that smaller boats nose dive into. The extra footage can make a real difference. You really do need to test drive both on a really nasty day. Good luck with the decision. Either way,it'll be a smoother ride than a V-bottom.

Back