24 sfx

walleye man

Reaction score
just orderd a 24 sfx with a 150 mercury with exprees package

i was wondering how fast the pontoon will go.

Walleye Man,

I have the 2012 22 SSI Bennington 3 tube XL performance package with lifting strakes on all three tubes and the New Mercury 150 4 stroke motor. I'm still breaking it in, but I have it up to 40.0 mph (GPS) with 6 adults and 3/4 tank of fuel. Your boat is a little heavier and longer, I would guess you should run in the mid to high 30's.

Enjoy Your New Binnie!

RiverBill

Last edited by a moderator:
I would expect the boat will go about 38 mph. The OEM Enertia stainless propeller seems to be the best all round choice for the new Merc. motor.

Be sure to properly break in the motor (per factory instructions) before you "top end" the boat. You might want to put the dealer on notice that you expect it to turn the redline at top speed--so they'll re-prop the boat with a different pitch if necessary. The Enertia prop comes in 1" increments so owners can fine tune the pitch to their hull.

Good luck on your new purchase.

Walleye Man,

Per the Mercury Owner's Manual Engine Break-in procedures you are allowed 1 minute full throttle operation for every 10 minutes of operation during the first 2 hours of break-in and up to 5 minutes full throttle for the next 8 hours of break-in. So you should find out quickly if the boat has the right prop. Our Mercury 150 has a mercury SS prop w/15 inch pitch runs out at 5200 rpm.

Enjoy

RiverBill

Walleye Man,

Per the Mercury Owner's Manual Engine Break-in procedures you are allowed 1 minute full throttle operation for every 10 minutes of operation during the first 2 hours of break-in and up to 5 minutes full throttle for the next 8 hours of break-in. So you should find out quickly if the boat is has the right prop. Our Mercury 150 has a mercury SS prop w/15 inch pitch runs out at 5200 rpm.

Enjoy

RiverBill
i did not knoww you could get a 150 on a 22ssl

Walleye Man,

I have the 2012 22 SSI Bennington 3 tube XL performance package with lifting strakes on all three tubes and the New Mercury 150 4 stroke motor. I'm still breaking it in, but I have it up to 40.0 mph (GPS) with 6 adults and 3/4 tank of fuel. Your boat is a little heavier and longer, I would guess you should run in the mid to high 30's.

Enjoy Your New Binnie!

RiverBill

Walleye Man,

The 150 is only available with the XL performance package. It became available at the end of March. I think I received the first one off the line. Below is the spec sheet my dealer gave me.

RiverBill

XL -150 PERFORMANCE PACKAGE

Unpublished as of January 26, 2012 (published package name TBA) 3/12/12

• 25” Transom

• Full length 25” center tube

• Lifting strakes on center tube

• Performance foils on inside of outer tubes

• Rounded keels on all 3 tubes

• Wave tamer (same as Express Package wave tamer)

BENEFITS

• Provides ESP-like performance and banking on lighter boats

• Planes at a lower speed than the Express Tube Package

• Better boat balance, stability, handling and reduced spray in the transom area over the Express

AVAILABILITY

This package is designed for models with 20’ & 22’ tubes. Applies to S-Series only. This package benefits lighter boats and is functional on heavier boats to a lesser degree. Transom structure is rated for 150hp or less

• 22 SL / SLX

• 24 SL / SLX

• 22 SF / SFX

• 24 SF / SFX

• 22 SSL / SSLX

• 24 SSL /SSLX

NOTES

• Hydraulic steering not forced but still highly recommended for engines with 115hp or greater

• Capacities are the same as Express Tube Package capacities

• 32 gallon in tube fuel tank (available in March) replaces pod tank. Models with above floor tanks do not change (S- misc. models)

• Does affect ski tow options. Boats with transom fuel get a all new ski tow bar (to be developed) extended aft deck will get the same bar as a non-XL-150

I just came from the Bennington dealer @ Pickwick Lake, TN. this afternoon. He said that the elliptical twin toons are no longer available on the S model boats. If you want 150 hp, you've got to go the Express Package.

Maybe the retail market is demanding triple toon boats, and the XL and Express Packages are the substitutions.

Does anyone know about this?

COME TO FIND OUT, THE SALESMAN WAS MISTAKEN. THE ELLIPTICAL'S ARE STILL AVAILABLE ON 22' AND 24' MODELS. I ENDED UP BUYING A 24' SSLX W/150 HP YAMAHA AT ANOTHER DEALERSHIP, AND 2012 MIDLINE BOATS ARE SCARCE. I HAVE THE EXPRESS PACKAGE WITH STRAKES ONLY ON THE CENTER TOON, AND IT EASILY GETS THE NOSECONE OUT OF THE WATER. AFTER SWITCHING PROPS TO A 15 PITCH RELIANCE, IT'S WINDING OUT @ 6000 RPM'S AND 41 MPH WITH THE BIMINI TOP UP.

I just came from the Bennington dealer @ Pickwick Lake, TN. this afternoon. He said that the elliptical twin toons are no longer available on the S model boats. If you want 150 hp, you've got to go the Express Package.

Maybe the retail market is demanding triple toon boats, and the XL and Express Packages are the substitutions.

Does anyone know about this?
Hi Bama, The twin elliptical tube package is an option for the 22 and 24 S models...TB

RiverBill - What's the incremental price of the XL over the Express? Build a Boat doesn't show it yet.

Kaydano,

I don't know I ordered the boat at the end of March with the express tube package, the dealer came back to me after one week and said that there was a new 150 XL performance package that out performed the express package. Dealer sent me the specs on the XL package and I said let's go for it! No change in the boat price. I have a Bennington memo that shows all the specs for the XL packages. Listed below:

RiverBill

• 25” Transom

BENEFITS

• Better boat balance, stability, handling and reduced spray in the transom area over the Express

AVAILABILITY

This package is designed for models with 20’ & 22’ tubes. Applies to S-Series only. This package benefits lighter boats and is functional on heavier boats to a lesser degree. Transom structure is rated for 150hp or less

• 22 SL / SLX

• 24 SL / SLX

• 22 SF / SFX

• 24 SF / SFX

• 22 SSL / SSLX

• 24 SSL /SSLX

NOTES

• Hydraulic steering not forced but still highly recommended for engines with 115hp or greater

• 32 gallon in tube fuel tank (available in March) replaces pod tank. Models with above floor tanks do not change (S- misc. models)

• Does affect ski tow options. Boats with transom fuel get a all new ski tow bar (to be developed) extended aft deck will get the same bar as a non-XL-150

I shoulda waited for this to come out.

Had I only known it was coming.

Kaydano,

I don't know I ordered the boat at the end of March with the express tube package, the dealer came back to me after one week and said that there was a new 150 XL performance package that out performed the express package. Dealer sent me the specs on the XL package and I said let's go for it! No change in the boat price. I have a Bennington memo that shows all the specs for the XL packages. Listed below:

RiverBill

• 25” Transom

BENEFITS

AVAILABILITY

• 22 SL / SLX

• 24 SL / SLX

• 22 SF / SFX

• 24 SF / SFX

• 22 SSL / SSLX

• 24 SSL /SSLX

NOTES

Is this package still availble i just ordered a 24sfx with express package and a merc 150 4 stroke. I asked the dealer if i could put a Merc 150 4 stroke on a 22sfx and he said that a 115hp was the highest you could put on the boat. I rather have the 22sfx with the 150 due to the fact it will manuver around better while fishing.

Is this package still availble i just ordered a 24sfx with express package and a merc 150 4 stroke. I asked the dealer if i could put a Merc 150 4 stroke on a 22sfx and he said that a 115hp was the highest you could put on the boat. I rather have the 22sfx with the 150 due to the fact it will manuver around better while fishing.

I got my 24 sfx a week ago and love it express pk strakes all 3 yubes.

The 150 mercury with a 15.1/8 x 14 prop 40 mph i changed the prop to 15x15 i get 43 mph both props work great mercury Enertia great prop.

Thats with four adults on board. Its earther more power or more speed.

walleyeman

I got my 24 sfx a week ago and love it express pk strakes all 3 yubes.

The 150 mercury with a 15.1/8 x 14 prop 40 mph i changed the prop to 15x15 i get 43 mph both props work great mercury Enertia great prop.

Thats with four adults on board. Its earther more power or more speed.

walleyeman

thanks for the update sounds like you ordered the same thing that i have on order this info will help me with my prop selection. 40 mph + is about what i am looking for.

Back