5 days on the lake

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
I just posted a full trip report from my Memorial weekend 5-day trip to Lake Powell. It's long and too difficult to cross post the whole thing here, but I thought I'd still post a few pics and a link. It was quite the adventure. The weather was looking okay as we headed out but it turned out to be a bit more turbulent. It rained hard enough to make the canyons flash flood which resulted in a 70-foot waterfall popping up right behind our tent. It also got so windy once that the boat started to break free from the anchors we had to the beach. To make that more fun, my friend and I were high up on the rim hiking so my wife had to deal with it by firing up the boat and just driving further onto the beach. 

But the best part of all of it was that she loved the trip despite the crazy weather. We really bought the boat for her so that we could do trips like this and this was her first one. Looking forward to many more. 

Full trip report here on my website:

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/bowns-canyon.3228/

A few photos:

bowns-canyon-1.jpg

bowns-canyon-2.jpg

bowns-canyon-7.jpg

bowns-canyon-15.jpg

bowns-canyon-14.jpg

bowns-canyon-13.jpg

bowns-canyon-18.jpg

bowns-canyon-32.jpg

bowns-canyon-42.jpg

bowns-canyon-51.jpg

Lots more here:

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/bowns-canyon.3228/

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, those shots are amazing! You are so very lucky to have such beauty around you. I truly appreciate you sharing your pics and stories with a poor Canadian Prairie fella like myself! Keep them coming! 

Beautiful pics and that first one looks like your taking a wizz off the bow.    :D

What an adventure. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Amazing.

Excellent write up, I felt like I was there!  Back in 1995 we did a two week vacation on Powell and it's a truely amazing place.  So dark and clear at night you could see satellites going overhead.

I remember listening to the National Park Service radio channel on our houseboat and several times boaters came on and said they were lost and couldn't get back to the marina. This was before gps so if people didn't pay attention they really could get lost. The answer was always the same, "Well, if you don't know where you are how are we supposed to find you?"

Beautiful pics and that first one looks like your taking a wizz off the bow.    :D
My first thought exactly.   :D

Love the pics!!

Wow, wow, wow !!!!! You are officially the PICMASTER !!! Those are awesome !!

I might have asked before or you might have stated, but the white waterline, how low is the water from the high point on that mark?

Thanks guys! I guess I should have used the shot of my friend looking a little to the side to avoid the whiz pose. I've had a lot of people say the same thing! 

Excellent write up, I felt like I was there!  Back in 1995 we did a two week vacation on Powell and it's a truely amazing place.  So dark and clear at night you could see satellites going overhead.
It really is. I haven't spent much time at Powell until this year but I've been backpacking all the surrounding canyons for years. Night photography is also a hobby of mine. Hopefully I'll get some good locations there later this year to do some of that. Here's a little time lapse video I put together of my night photography all around Utah. It's best viewed full screen in HD. Or at least click through to Vimeo. It looks awful how small it is here. 

https://player.vimeo.com/video/36178220
Thanks! The top of the bath tub ring is at 3700' and the water on this trip was about 3585' so 115' down. It had come up about 13' since my trip there in April and it went up about 2.5 feet just while we were there. We setup the portable toilet behind our tent near the base of that big waterfall. By the last morning, my toes were almost getting wet! By now that beach we camped on is gone. Glad we got it. Everyone who came through was jealous and told us we must have the best campsite on the entire lake (2,000 miles of shoreline). 

Very Nice  :)

Wow!

Once again pics are stunning my friend

Absolutely amazing photos!!! Thanks for sharing

That video is the best I've ever seen! It's stunning. I've never seen anything like it. And I watched it on my phone. Looking forward to watch it in HD.

That video -- now you're just toying with us mere mortals.

Wow.

Awesome photos bcpnick!  What a gorgeous place to go boating and get incredible pictures...

wow

Fantastic video. Really enjoyed watching it. What a beautiful variety of places to visit and video/photograph!

Back