Adding a 3rd pontoon.

JonnyBsince83

Reaction score
Hello all,

I hope to get some insigt from others who may have done this or are considering an upgrade similar to what im doing. I have a 2275 GLI(2010) with a 115 attached. I am looking to get a bit more speed and manuverability out of the boat, my question is should I consider upgrading to a 150 or add an extra log? I have seen the reviews for the waterglide and am curious as to weather any of you have used this or even added an extra log aftermarket. I usually run the boat with a minimum of 5 adults outfitted for a full day on the water, im not real concerned about fuel economy but I notice that I typically run the motor at full RPM to shoot across the lake. Thank you for your advice.

I'm wondering what works best $$$, if trading boats or doing the additions? Assuming the boat is only a couple years old.

Steve

I'm not positive, but wouldn't you also have to get a new certification sticker too if you went with a 3rd log to get a 150? I think yours might only be rated for a 115 max, I could be wrong. I would talk to your preferred dealer about a possible trade in and order it with the upgrades. You get a newer boat with longer warranty, since yours will be running out soon. But it needs to make financial sense.

Do a search. There is a thread about adding a factory-supplied express toon to a 2 toon boat. It was a recent discussion and even TB weighed in.

Here. Don't bother reading the 2nd page because the thread got hijacked with a bunch of BS. Good info on page 1, though.

I'm curious on the express tube as well. I know it would add bow lift but what about the stern? Is there an improvement in ride height all around? Our 22 sslx w/115 sits pretty low in the back. I'm worried I'll end up on the low rider thread.

Okay, the straight skinny. With our 2012 RCL 2-log, the constant banging and surging when the fuel tank would be hit by water (the '12 model encased fuel cell hangs down from the deck approx 13"), the ride was none-too-pleasant even with only 24 hours on the boat. Solution? Installed an express tube and wave shield three weeks ago! Work with a Bennie dealer and you CAN be taken care of. The express tube nose is perfectly even with the outside 'toons and extends back to within 10" of the tank and at 25" diameter, it completely blocks the water path to the tank. If you look, your cross members are already punched out at the factory so you don't have to worry about measuring, aligning, etc. The express tube for my 24 footer is approx 13' long, weighs 80 lbs (I hand carried it to my install location), and took about an hour to install. You simply bolt it in place. I installed mine while on the two-bunk trailer though I had to remove the front ladder brace holding the winch to slip it in place. I suspended it between 2 rachet straps and tightened it right up to the cross members. Once in place, I installed the waveshield (it even comes with rivets!) in 5 hours (here you must drill your own holes). Performance..., first, the 3rd tube added >800 lbs of buoyancy. She sits MUCH higher in the water. Speed? Gained 3.6 mph (no strakes). Handling? No difference. Comfort? OMG! She simply planes across the water without a hint of the chop. No comparision in this department. However, because of the added height and planing it now achieves, I had to remount the F150 to the highest holes to get the lower unit lifted up. Our dealer & Bennington were the BEST to work with! Hope this helps.

God Bless our Military

wow, great real world experience BW! That should give them the answer they are searching for. I won't comment anything else so I don't start spreading my BS.

Black Widow you said the front [nose] are even and the express tube comes within 10" of the tank yet later you say the express tube is 13' long? Also would you mind quoting price for express tube [seems like you did the labor yourself]

Okay, the straight skinny. With our 2012 RCL 2-log, the constant banging and surging when the fuel tank would be hit by water (the '12 model encased fuel cell hangs down from the deck approx 13"), the ride was none-too-pleasant even with only 24 hours on the boat. Solution? Installed an express tube and wave shield three weeks ago! Work with a Bennie dealer and you CAN be taken care of. The express tube nose is perfectly even with the outside 'toons and extends back to within 10" of the tank and at 25" diameter, it completely blocks the water path to the tank. If you look, your cross members are already punched out at the factory so you don't have to worry about measuring, aligning, etc. The express tube for my 24 footer is approx 13' long, weighs 80 lbs (I hand carried it to my install location), and took about an hour to install. You simply bolt it in place. I installed mine while on the two-bunk trailer though I had to remove the front ladder brace holding the winch to slip it in place. I suspended it between 2 rachet straps and tightened it right up to the cross members. Once in place, I installed the waveshield (it even comes with rivets!) in 5 hours (here you must drill your own holes). Performance..., first, the 3rd tube added >800 lbs of buoyancy. She sits MUCH higher in the water. Speed? Gained 3.6 mph (no strakes). Handling? No difference. Comfort? OMG! She simply planes across the water without a hint of the chop. No comparision in this department. However, because of the added height and planing it now achieves, I had to remount the F150 to the highest holes to get the lower unit lifted up. Our dealer & Bennington were the BEST to work with! Hope this helps.

God Bless our Military

wow, great real world experience BW! That should give them the answer they are searching for. I won't comment anything else so I don't start spreading my BS.
;-)

Semper and Derrick, you crack me up. But personally, I think starting from scratch would be better than a tube addition. Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Had several prompts from Club Bennie as a result of messages sent my way. Sacandaga Lake wanted to know why I said the express center tube was 13' in length yet came within 10" of the fuel tank? Find a 2012 RCL and drop down below the deck, guys. The fuel tank begins at the same line where the steering wheel is (approx 13 feet back from the bow of a 2250 RCL). Price? Check with your dealer, work with your dealer and patronize your dealer..., he's the one who turned you on to Bennington in the first place. And remember, your distance from Elkhart, IN equals freight. Though it's relatively lightweight, you won't see the Fed Ex truck with it strapped to the roof.

This is all great info. Now I may consider upgrading to a newer model tri-toon. These are great boats and I have no complaints, it seems like your dealer can make or break your experience. Here in Lewisville TX, the dealer threw in so man extras and upgrades free. Happy boating to all!

BlackWidow, Concerning price; just curious, rather than serious enough to bother my dealer and waste his time. I already think rather than adding on to current I will probably be trading in and upgrading in a few years

My brother added the full center tube w / strakes to his 115 hp powered RL last year. He picked up roughly 5 mph on any given day. He went from an average of 28 mph to 33 mph. He has seen 35 a few times. A tritoon with 115 makes a great cruiser and for some people that's what it's all about, but the problem still remains that when you load the boat down with 5-6 "full bodied" adults, the 115 just doesn't get the job done. It drops down into the low-mid 20's @ WOT. He's been tossing the idea around of swapping to a 150, but has decided to just save his money and buy a new boat.

The trick to ordering the express tube through a dealer's parts department is to make sure the lifting strakes are on it. When you get the nosecones out of the water, the boat is so much more seaworthy, faster and fuel efficient.

And the underskinning is really mandatory on such a boat. They make the boat ride smoother and quieter.

I currently have a 2275 with a Honda 75 the ride isn't bad but I would like a little better milage and speed. I'm working with water glide to install and document the results. It will be in pontoon and deck boat magazine after we get it on and tested. They custom make these for your boat . I may be able to post as we work on it. It's way cheaper than a new motor.

Back