Aftermarket Stereo 2 (too)

Padre

Reaction score
When I ordered my Bennie, I forgot to go with the upgraded M6 stereo, so with the boat came the old Sony base unit. But, I was thinking about upgrading to THIS unit. Anyone have any experience with it?

My reasoning:

1. Removing a Sony and putting in a Sony reduces rewiring.

2. I want to add Sirius/XM and the base unit can't

3. I want the ability for a wired and wireless remote

4. The price is pretty good.

5. It should fit since it is still a single DIN Sony unit with a slightly larger faceplate.

6. Would like to add an amp/subwoofer down the line as well.

Any thoughts? I have been following the other threads as well. Wetworks is not an option for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know much about that unit, other than I've seen it and love the design. I would love to get onetoo, but mines mounted under helm in storage compartment, so not sure if it would fit, and then you can't see it anyhow. If I decide to go this route, I will definitely have to mount in face of helm for all to see.

I'd be interested too in any feedback on this unit.

Smitty

I am looking seriously at buying my first Bennie (going to try to close the deal and order soon) and i will be getting it with out any of the Sony products. Holes for the speakers will be there and no in-dash unit. The important this when getting a in dash unit is if you are adding a additional amp (i will have 2) is it will sound better and work that additional amp less if it has a 4 volt pre out. I haven't seen a Sony that does. I am going Alpine CDA-9886M and find a face-plate that slides over for better protection from rainy days.. As i am somewhat an audiophile im concerned about a boat that has such a hi quality build standard yet it uses lower quality sound components except for the Wet Sounds upgrade. This upgrade is a very good brand but they have 1 amp that does everything and its not enough power and then they put it behind a door/Helm with no vents muffling sound...

My system if it works will be Polk Audio 800W Sub amp and a 124Wx 4 and Polk MM6501 UM which are separates that will sound better. the sub woofer will be a WetSounds 12" dual that is about the only sub woofer that handles the power. Also i will be trying to get 3 optima battery's. 1 for engine and 2 for house/boat/audio.

What i have found on pricing is all over and it changes every few days. looking to be about $1300-$1400 for all the gear not counting "Professional Installation" or wires and power distribution parts.

I am looking at the below sites for pricing and its important to watch out for the "Used or refurbished" stuff out there. Also some warranties wont be covered for some brands unless its purchased from an authorized "Brand Specific" dealer (I think Polk Audio and WetSounds).

so try:

techtronix.com

sonicelectronix.com

earmark

onlinecaraudio

woofersext

amazon

I bought my all alpine system (1000 Watts)for the Motor Home from hookedontronics

Anyway, looking forward to new boat! Hope this helps.

oldredm3

Thank you for the ideas. You are right on the Sony's, they only have 2v pre out.

One thing to bear in mind is, I would bet 90% of the owners out there are looking for a sound system that turns on and off and has a working volume. I agree the Sony system may not be the perfect system for an audiophile, but for the average boater it is more than enough. I would bet Bennington has done plenty of market research to weigh cost vs. quality. Hey, at least they are not using Pyle or Boss, which actually have some ok reviews.

Semper,

I am sticking with Sony. The wiring is already there. I will use the sony peripherals as well (amp and sub). I want xm/sirius because where we are in Canada you can get 2 stations: hard rock and sometimes country. I like a variety. But I also treasure staying up on the news, etc. 'back home.' With the satellite radio we can get CNN, etc.

I posted on your other topic, but will post here too, I do like that Alpine head unit, ive used Alpine in all my car audio head units. The big grill you see on the door isn't a speaker, it's simply a port for the powered AS-10 that is inside the helm. I will be putting in a Wet Sounds SYND4 125x4 @ 4 ohms, I'll run the 6 XS-650's off of it. The Sinister series is 185x4 or 320x4!! And that's real power, not Boss power! Haha I had looked at running a couple free air subs, but Tim from Wet Sounds talked me out of it, he told me that AS-10 pounds in the helm. Just goes to show you he's a standup guy, could have tried to sell me 2 subs and an amp to power, but knew the AS-10 would probably service me better. That means a lot to me. Those are the type of people I like to deal with.

Derrick,

If I was 30 years younger, and enjoyed my music as much as I did then, then your awesome system would be just right. Now I'm more in line with Semperfi: turn it on, turn it off. Mostly off. :)

If you feel competent enough to change out your own head unit, you shouldn't have any problems cutting and splicing 8 wires. As long as you can differentiate between purple, green, grey and white you're golden, because all the channel colors are universal regardless of brand.

Oh yeah, I changed many a head unit with my two sons. Pioneer always seemed to be the most popular with them. :)

The Alpine CDA-118M looks really sweet.
How did you make a 1.8 din fit in a single din space? is there an adapter or something... i do like that specific head unit but thought it may not fit...

I didn't do it yet. I am thinking about sticking with an upgraded Sony, but that is a sweet unit. I think, from seeing the pics, since I haven't gotten my boat yet, that it looks like the hole will fit up to a double din unit? Anyone out there know that answer?

How did you make a 1.8 din fit in a single din space? is there an adapter or something... i do like that specific head unit but thought it may not fit...
I think that's the "faceplate" size, the chassis is roughly 2"x7"x7"

Dimensions:

Din Size: 1.8

Chassis Size (W x H x D) mm: 181.5 mm x 51.5 mm x 187 mm

Chassis Size (W x H x D) in: 7-3/16'' x 2-1/16'' x 7-3/8''

Nose Piece Size (W x H x D) mm: 200 mm x 92.5 mm x 50 mm

Nose Piece Size (W x H x D) in: 7-7/8'' x 3-5/8'' x 2''

Does anyone know if the hole in the helm is a double din? It looks like to me, from pictures, it is and has a 'filler piece' of some sort. Anyone?

When I ordered my Bennie, I forgot to go with the upgraded M6 stereo, so with the boat came the old Sony base unit. But, I was thinking about upgrading to THIS unit.

Any thoughts?
Don't forget that you'll also need an SCC-1 Satellite Tuner (around $50) and a satellite antenna.

Back