Amp Rack

BulldogsCadillac

Just some guy
Reaction score
Ok folks, I will be needing to mount these amps and stuff to a sheet of wood, anyone know what type I should use? One problem I have is we live in a small town that really doesn't carry much other than your standard plywood, probably some pressure treated stuff, maybe a bit of something else. I was told marine Birch, but can't find that anywhere around these parts. So what else do you recommend? Thanks! Oh and what should I paint it with?

I used cellular PVC trim if you can find it there. Works great and won't rot good for decent heat.

Any plywood would work. I would seal it to keep it water resistant. Any marine grade varnish would work for your application.

Yeah, grab a piece of G1S (good one side or AC grade) and seal it, you'll be good to go. If you have a DIY place, they usually sell smaller pieces 2x2, 2x4, etc.....

To add to that, if one edge of the plywood will sit on the carpet (which can stay wet a long time) I would hit that side extra gooder with whatever sealant you use. Red paint would work, just for example!

Or put a dab of silicone caulk on the edge AFTER FINISHING, and smear it to seal the edge. We do that on sink cut outs on countertops and it seals it up good. Just make ure to seal/paint or whatever you are doing, as the finishes not stick to 100% silicone.

How big of an area do you need Derrick? If it was me I would get creative and make something out of fiberglass, you can get it off the floor, round the edges, paint it red etc. I've worked with fiberglass a few times, reworked a front fender and light mount on my dunebuggy (avatar pic), gauge clusters and also a ninja fairing repair. I know this would take some time and you are salivating waiting to get that tower on the water so maybe run with the wood for now, and 25 hours later when you park it for the year, make something nice Clark... real nice.

Well I would love to do a fiberglass enclosure, not sure if I'm handy enough! As for area, it will be pretty big I think! 2 amps that are roughly 8x13, and another that is about 8x16 I think, plus 2 distribution blocks, not sure how much room I need to make it look cool in fiberglass. First I just want to get them hooked up and running!

Is all this going under the helm or where? If under the helm I'm picturing a (think of an A frame home shrunk down) this would give you two larger mounting areas on the roof faces if you will, then you would have room for the distribution blocks on the gable ends. Or maybe stack them like a desk file system, leave room for airflow etc.

Yup, under the helm, but I also need to fit the powered sub in there and I had hopes of fitting my cooler in there.

Geez, the helm is only so big under there !! Lol !!

If you do all that Derrick where will you park your car?

Are there any custom stereo shops up there in the Tundra? LOL They could make something like you would see on "Pimp My Ride". :D

REDWOOD. Only way to go. :rolleyes: Gerry

Well now you guys are just getting silly. Now I have to figure out real quick if I'm going to go get it today or wait. Supposed to be raining all day winds 20km, gusting to 50. Could be a heck of a fuel bill if it's blowing the wrong way with that tower! Plus it will be soaked by the time I get it home. What do ya think? Worth it even though I won't be able to even look at it until Sunday? (working and a wedding)

Take it to the wedding as it's better than a horse and carriage for them to exit the church!

Order some starboard from your local marina or west marine. Awesome stuff for projects just as this

Todd

Derrick, have you forgotten that you had this post? I used regular 1/4" AC with a 1x2 glued to the back as furring strips to hold it off the wall of the helm a bit. I got the biggest sealed sub box possible, and dyna-matted all the joints where dash components came together inside the helm to reduce rattling. The system was cheap, but it's thunderous.

Derrick, have you forgotten that you had this post? I used regular 1/4" AC with a 1x2 glued to the back as furring strips to hold it off the wall of the helm a bit. I got the biggest sealed sub box possible, and dyna-matted all the joints where dash components came together inside the helm to reduce rattling. The system was cheap, but it's thunderous.

http://club.benningt...rmarket +stereo
Nope, looked back on it a couple days ago when I was trying to remember what you used to attach the furring strips. I've been looking at a bunch of different epoxy trying to figure out what to use. I saw a tube of PL Premium and the Liquid Nails, but they didn't say anything about fiberglass on them. How are yours holding up? What is AC?

I used liquid nails to glue the strips to the inside of the helm. It's holding up great. Then I used 3/4" wood screws to attach the plywood to that, AC is a grade of plywood that is smooth on one side. It just refers to the finish, ie cdx is rough for construction, etc.

Also, make sure to put a space between the wood and the carpet, to prevent moisture wicking up from damp carpet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back