Any one here on the Harris Chain?

lakeliving

Reaction score
My wife are seriously thinking about making the move south at the end of the year, beginning of next year and seem to have targeted the area of Tavares. Any one on the chain down there that can provide some insight? Thanks

May family used to have some land on Lake Lucy, just outside Groveland. Lots of fish, and lots of gators! But Lake Lucy is a tiny lake compared to Harris. My dad took me bass fishing on the Harris Chain once a LONG time ago. It was beautiful and full of BIG fish! We still have a home just outside Orlando on the Butler Chain and I love Florida lake water. So calm and so clear! AND ... So warm ALL year long! Probably just a little more humid than Michigan too! :p Good luck with the decision. I'm sure you'll love it if you move down.

My wife are seriously thinking about making the move south at the end of the year, beginning of next year and seem to have targeted the area of Tavares. Any one on the chain down there that can provide some insight? Thanks
Wow, I'm jealous ..... We have a couple more years to go, ok maybe 10 till we HOPE to do the same. Aint it funny, you look at moving based on WHERE YOU CAN BOAT ........ :D

If I can find a job down there equivalent to what I am doing now we'll pull the trigger and make it happen. It appears the water levels are really down though. That makes me a little nervous.

My wife has been retired almost 5 years and I am getting ready to go soon however although after I gave up skiing 10 years ago it is still my wife's passion and she still skis with her ski club once or twice a week plus goes once or twice a winter on week long ski trips. She hates it when it is too hot so until she gives up skiing talking her into moving down south is a while away

My wife has been retired almost 5 years and I am getting ready to go soon however although after I gave up skiing 10 years ago it is still my wife's passion and she still skis with her ski club once or twice a week plus goes once or twice a winter on week long ski trips. She hates it when it is too hot so until she gives up skiing talking her into moving down south is a while away
Link,

You just gotta talk her into "water" skiing instead of "snow" skiing ....... :lol:

When I was about 12-13, my family went on a "ski" vacation, it was probably one of the best times we ever had together. We went to Kelowna BC, drove all through the Penticton valley, with the orchards all around you, it was gorgeous. One of the best things though, we went golfing at Gallagher's Canyon in the morning, and skiing Big White in the afternoon! They had these big 'bleachers' made out of snow at the top of one of the lifts and people (GIRLS!!!) were laying there suntaning! That was a great day in a 13 year olds life!!! Haha totally off topic I know, but just shows you don't always have to go South to enjoy the good life! And no, I'm not on the Harris Chain. (see how I brought it back on topic!) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to bring it full circle Derrick!

We have been living about 45 miles North and West of Lake Harris. Been here over 15 years and am now fully retired. Summers are hot, but no snow to deal with.

I have gotten more interested in Salt Water fishing, as the mystery of what you catch is exciting. About the only thing pretty certain when you catch fish in the gulf, it probably will have teeth.

We were also looking in the Tampa area but I'm not ready for saltwater fishing yet. I like to be at the top of the food chain and that is accomplished in fresh water!!! We're going to be in FL the week of Thanksgiving, maybe you can take me out in the gulf and convert me!

We were also looking in the Tampa area but I'm not ready for saltwater fishing yet. I like to be at the top of the food chain and that is accomplished in fresh water!!! We're going to be in FL the week of Thanksgiving, maybe you can take me out in the gulf and convert me!
We're going to Sanibel that week ourselves!

Nice! I got some new Taylor made clubs that will be making the trip as well so if you hear "Fore" in a "Michigan" accent I'm probably somewhere close!

lakeliving - We live on Lake Harris.  Our community, Royal Harbor, is borderded on the South by Little Lake Harris and on the West by rte 19.  Accros rte 19 is 68 acre Hickory Point Park.  Many fishing tournaments are held there - Crappie Masters and Bass Masters are a couple.  Hickory point has 12 paved ramps wirh floating docks just West of the ramps - among many other attributes.

As far as making any descent pay around here, I suppose it depends on your expertise.

I figured out too late how to utilize the "quote" function.  Next time I'll know ...

Thanks for the information. How is the lake level there, we've been looking at some homes down there and it seems like there are a lot of boat houses that are over land. Also, how bad are the snakes, bugs and gators down there. My wife loves the heat but I don't think she'll be ok with the other aspects that come along with the heat.

Thanks

Thanks for the information. How is the lake level there, we've been looking at some homes down there and it seems like there are a lot of boat houses that are over land. Also, how bad are the snakes, bugs and gators down there. My wife loves the heat but I don't think she'll be ok with the other aspects that come along with the heat.

Thanks
We had some good rains a little while back that brought the Harris Chain up some.  I dock my 20' Bennington at Banana Cove Marina (1-1 1/4 miles up rte 19) on Lake Harris and it was on sand a while back.  I have been 100% on water for a while now.  They lower the lakes too much in anticipation of the hurricanes that never appear.  Then it takes forever for the rain to bring us up.  We're in fairly good shape right now. 

We settled on our home in December of 2006 and haven't been inundated with bugs or anything else.  May and September bring the love bugs.  The worse we  saw was in 2011 trailering back home from Okeechobee after a 5-day Intracostal Waterway trip.  Everything was just covered.  We don't get them as bad in our area.  As far as gators, if there is water, there are gators.  But we have never had a problem with them.  Blind mosquitoes are a pain around Halloween.  Snakes are around, but we don't see them often.  We don't have the mosquito problem we had around the water in Delaware.  There is a trade-off to get the warmth.  The one we like best is the lack of snow.  Good luck with your search ...

We live on a canal that accesses the Tsala Apopka Chain of Lakes (5 Lakes).  We are on the Inverness Pool and for the past couple of years the lake level was about 5 foot low.  Unfortunately, our canal depth was usually 4 or 5 feet at normal water level.  However, we have had rains and now have plenty of water.  Currently, our new Bennington is under our house, until we get covers for the seats.  Then I will put at our dock on the canal, as we have some trees that hang over the dock.

Florida Summers are hot and humid.  You will occasionally see gators, but never have had a problem.  Just don't feed them.  Now we do see some snakes, but most are harmless and there are bugs.  We have really become accustomed to the critters.

Never moving back North!

Thanks for the info there. The wife and I are going to be down there is about 5 weeks to vacation and scope some areas out. We'll be shoveling snow before you know it here!

Thanks for the info there. The wife and I are going to be down there is about 5 weeks to vacation and scope some areas out. We'll be shoveling snow before you know it here!
You said the "S" word ...... Snow = sh** !!!!

What's sad is I got the snow blower ready a while ago. Hopefully I don't need it this year. I am thinking about buying an extra sump pump to drop in the lake to flood the ice rink though. AAHHH now I said the "I" word. What's wrong with me??? Maybe too long of a period has passed between selling the boat and not having ordered a new one yet. Damn PADs!!!

I would suggest you look around the east coast of Florida. The intercoastal waterway is fabulous. The Banana and Indian rivers are big, wide and beautiful. The redfish, snook and trout fishing are fabulous up and down the intercoastal. The Mosquito Lagoon is world famous for fishing. I live on Merritt Island, it's between cocoa and cocoa beach. Kennedy Space Center is on the North end of Merritt Island. Its about 35mins from Orlando, 40 or so to Daytona Beach. You can cruise the intercoastal up and down the Florida east coast. There are Islands in the river where people pull up on the sandbars.. play music.. BBQ grills on some of the Islands here and there.  There are restaurants you can pull your boat up to and have lunch or dinner, listen to live music and have drink or two. You can watch the dolphin run next to your boat and pet manatees if you want to.  Please don't limit yourself to a lake/ freshwater.  If you come to Fla, explore the space coast, specifically Brevard and Indian River County.. Since NASA was cut to the bone you can still find some really good deals on home, boats, motorcycles, jet ski's.. and other various toys.  When 10,000 high paying jobs were cut in that area and people had to move to where the work was you end up with lower prices.. If, like me, your income isn't dependent on the Space Program, it's still a wonderful place to live.  AND.. it's a place where you can watch the sun rise over the ocean and set over the ocean all in the same day!!  YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TO PUT YOUR BOAT AWAY FOR THE WINTER AGAIN!

Back