Anyone have a Garmin 95 Fishfinder they're not using?

sunedog

Reaction score
The OEM Garmin 95 Fishfinder on my 2011 2275 GCW gave up the ghost at the end of the season last year. It showed signs of moisture intrusion on the screen and then eventually wouldn't power up. I want to find a replacement that fits in the same gimball mount. But, as many here have figured out, it is discontinued. This post Need replacement for OEM 2010 Bennington GLi Garmin 95 depth finder advises a Garmin 100 will fit in the same location with minor trimming. Problem is that one is discontinued as well.

I called Garmin and learned the Garmin 95 is just the OEM version of their Garmin 90. But of course it is long gone too. Garmin doesn't have anything close to the same form factor (4.7" wide x 4.9" tall) in their current lineup. Before I tackle modifying my dash to accommodate something different, does anyone who, perhaps upgraded their OEM fishfinder, have a working Garmin 95 or 100 they'd like to sell? I'm not finding either on eBay or FB Marketplace.

And if I need to go with something different, I will go back and read the many threads where people discussed what they went with and how they like them.

I was able to fit a Garmin ECHOMAP 43 with extremely minor trim. That’s an older model but might track down a gently used or refurb unit. I had to trim maybe an 1/8” on top and one edge at most.

Thank you for both posts. Great info. I just hate to spend $300 on this when all I really want is a depth sounder that I can finagle into the same gimbal mount. I will reach out to w5pfg and see if he still has his old Garmin 95.

Well, w5pfg does not have his anymore so I'm still looking.

Update: I found a used Fishfinder 90 on eBay and picked it up for $75 delivered. It is nearly identical to the OEM Fishfinder 95. Plugged it in, snapped it into the gimbal mount, fired it up and I'm a happy camper.
replacement fishfinder.jpg

Is there an online manual for this model you show? We boat primarily on the river, and I am mostly interested in DEPTH readings during low river periods. I guess it should be fairly self explanatory, yet it doesn't seem to read correctly if the boating is moving. It locks into the depth at the point I last stopped the boat. Is this how it should operate>

If you would like the manual, you should be able to get 1 on the Garmin website. Depth finders mostly stop reading at about 15 mph , with some tweaking of the transducer you may be able to get a couple more mph before it stops reading.

Hey there, thanks so much found the manual. Good to know about the speed of the boat. Figured that might be the issue, especially with the river bottom constantly changing and the range of the sonar. The unit seems to work as it should otherwise considering it is original to my 2008 RLi. Sure it was an OEM installation by Bennington. Bought it from the original owner last year. Other than some upholstery repairs it is darned well in almost perfect condition. Love it and it suits our needs just great. Jealous of all the members with the gorgeous newer, sleeker Bennies!

Attachments

• 20200301_122914 1.jpg
    20200301_122914 1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 11
Hey there, thanks so much found the manual. Good to know about the speed of the boat. Figured that might be the issue, especially with the river bottom constantly changing and the range of the sonar. The unit seems to work as it should otherwise considering it is original to my 2008 RLi. Sure it was an OEM installation by Bennington. Bought it from the original owner last year. Other than some upholstery repairs it is darned well in almost perfect condition. Love it and it suits our needs just great. Jealous of all the members with the gorgeous newer, sleeker Bennies!
Your boat looks very nice. Don’t be jealous, we’re just deeper in debt. LOL!!!

Looking good Thosutt. Congratulations on the new to you Bennington. Those new sleeker Bennies cost a few more pennies. Nice when you can find something nice, but more economical to fit your needs.

If you would like the manual, you should be able to get 1 on the Garmin website. Depth finders mostly stop reading at about 15 mph , with some tweaking of the transducer you may be able to get a couple more mph before it stops reading.
Jack I disagree with that my Garmin worked at 28mph (my top speed lol). It took a little trial and error as I moved it a few times and also played with the angle of the transducer

Ive changed the angle several times , it helped some . I asked the dealer about dropping it on my 22 , he said the trailer bunk "could " hit it . I told him to leave it . It works where I need it most .

My works at WOT …. :D:p:p

Back