Anyone here from Texas?

ericscher

Reaction score
Is anyone here from Texas?

I'm giving serious consideration to moving and I'm seeking advice and information.

Is anyone here from Texas?

I'm giving serious consideration to moving and I'm seeking advice and information.
I live near Flower Mound, between Dallas and Fort Worth. Love it. Both cities have a lot to offer and there are lots of nice lakes to take my toys to. I moved here from Minnetonka Minnesota, and I grew up in PA so I know the north well. I miss winter sometimes but the extended springs and falls are awesome here. Mid summer is hot. I don't care what anybody says. I'm getting used to it though.

Thanks for answering Butch.

I have two main questions right off, and I'd welcome anyone else chiming in who knows anything...

First is, I'm in the technology field, specifically Network Engineering & Architecture. I presume there are better parts of Texas for employment in those areas than in others, but I don't know which areas those would be, so if you had any insight there I'd be grateful.

The second is; what did you mean by "extended" Fall & Spring?

I have two main questions right off, and I'd welcome anyone else chiming in who knows anything...

First is, I'm in the technology field, specifically Network Engineering & Architecture. I presume there are better parts of Texas for employment in those areas than in others, but I don't know which areas those would be, so if you had any insight there I'd be grateful.

Not Butch, but, will offer my 2 cents.

First, Dallas-Ft Worth, Austin, or Houston would be would be my first choices for Technology related fields.

Second, extended: Summers are hot, winters are cold, and spring and fall are absolutely wonderful weather here in the great State of Texas. These two seasons can linger longer than the other two. Its really not uncommon to have "short sleeve shirt" weather in January. Days like these can string into several to enjoy from time to time.

I work in Richardson, Texas a North East suburb of Dallas. The Northern corridor above Dallas is called the Telecom corridor because so many telecom companies are here; Ericsson, Siemens, Samsung, Cisco, Alcatel, etc. There is a lot of high tech in the North Dallas area as TI, Raytheon and a number of other defense suppliers have major sites here also.

Richardson Business Listing

I live in Rockwall which is built on Lake Ray Hubbard which is where I keep my boat. I don't have a waterfront home but I live on a (dry) creek lot and the housing prices are very reasonable in the DFW area ($70 to $95 per sq. ft.). The lakes around DFW aren't very large but there are a number of them close by if you trailer your boat. I'm not sure but I think Lake Lewisville is one of the largest around and of course you can motor on up to Lake Texoma for variety.

We are also thinking of relocating to Texas; looking for waterfront property to retire on. Just from looking through Zillow; Lake Palestine looks interesting and affordable. Any thoughts?

1Tiredlady,

We looked around Lake Palestine, it is very pretty but the prices were out of line (in my opinion).  We settled on Houston County Lake out of Crockett.  Not quiet as large of lake as Palestine.  Shop around prices vary widely.

I am from Texas as well (Originally). I would not really suggest Lake Lewisville, as when I was growing up there seemed to be numerous deaths on that lake (but that was some time ago and maybe things have improved). Ray Hubbard is nice, Grapevine is a really nice area, Lake Travis down in Austin, Lake Conroe down by Houston, and then of course there is Lake Texoma and Wright Patman by Lake Texarkana. Possom Kingdom Lake used to be really nice, but with a lot of the Texas lakes they are super low with all of the recent years of drought.

I always considered Texas a Four state State. East is piney woods, south is more coastal humid, southwest is mostly desert hills/canyons, and then north west is super flat with occasional snow in the pan handle. Summer is brutal (May-September) Spring and Fall super nice, and depending on where you live winters are sporadic in the north(sometimes snow/ice) and more mild the further south you go. Just my .02

Butch, where in FM are you located?

We live in Bryan/College Station. Also a fast growing area. Home to Texas A&M University.  Lake Conroe about 1 hour away. Most recreational lake in Texas.  Sadly a nighttime fatal accident about 2 weeks ago. Several big restaurants on the lake you can dock and go eat. Fajita Jacks,  Papa's on The Lake and Sam's Boat! A couple more are currently being built. Area is growing rapidly!  All great food and great places to people/boat watch.  Very good fishing in northern part of the lake. All the recreation is south. Lake Travis is in Austin. Lake Limestone by Waco. Lake Fork up by Dallas holds several state fishing records.  Canyon Lake, Lake Belton, Lake Somerville, Lake Livingston, Lake Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend Reservoir are the biggies in central & east Texas.

We heard about that accident on Conroe. Just terrible. Hopefully we get down there one day full time.

I am in Lancaster TX and will have our boat on Joe Pool at Lynn Creek Marina.

We live in Bryan/College Station. Also a fast growing area. Home to Texas A&M University. Lake Conroe about 1 hour away. Most recreational lake in Texas. Sadly a nighttime fatal accident about 2 weeks ago. Several big restaurants on the lake you can dock and go eat. Fajita Jacks, Papa's on The Lake and Sam's Boat! A couple more are currently being built. Area is growing rapidly! All great food and great places to people/boat watch. Very good fishing in northern part of the lake. All the recreation is south. Lake Travis is in Austin. Lake Limestone by Waco. Lake Fork up by Dallas holds several state fishing records. Canyon Lake, Lake Belton, Lake Somerville, Lake Livingston, Lake Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend Reservoir are the biggies in central & east Texas.

My daughter is in school at Sam Houston, so we may pop down to Lake Conroe.

We love the lake Conroe area. Too bad that some states don't like hiring outside state lines or we'd be down there.

Just joined this forum, am looking to buy a Bennington soon. I am originally from Houston, but we recently moved to Lakeway on Lake Travis.

You’ve come to the right place to learn about the right brand!!

I don't have anything to add at this time......other than I'm in the D/FW area too!

Howdy gig'em. Welcome to the forum. We like in Bryan/College Station. We pretty much stay on Lake Conroe, Somerville, Gibbons Creek for fishing and Lake Travis and Canyon Lake. Give us a shout! WHOOP!

Granbury

Back