Be sure to secure your load...

Spoiledrotten

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
That was sure a ride for the biker! Glad he is ok. He should have went left! I remember when I was a kid and my dad was driving behind someone with plywood in the back of their truck/vehicle. He said something along the lines of giving him extra room based on how it was fastened. Literally 30 seconds later a 4x8 piece went flipping into the air. Lesson learned for this guy.

I'm a tie down Nazi.

I had a big extension ladder fly off the roof rack of a car in front of me, and blow right over the top of mine (thankfully) at 65+. I watched it go by looking through the moon roof and someone behind me ran over it. Serious check your shorts time on that one.

Just a comment to Andys comment ..... I'm not being a jerk, but how many of you were taught to instinctively swerve right? I've always remembered that from drivers ed. I remember being told better to maybe hit the car to right than to hit someone head on. Just always stuck with me. 

The guy in the videos lucky no one ran him over. We just had a guy killed locally. Wrecked his bike on highway and witnesses said 2-3 tractor trailers may have run over him. So sad. 

In drivers ed they never mentioned the "go right" tip. Just aim for something soft. The grassy median looked like a softer place then the pavement and lane of traffic to the right. Obviously it's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback. He's lucky for sure. I saw he only had the bike/been riding for 2 weeks. Luck for sure.

Soooo, pardon my ignorance, but do a lot of people really drive around with dash cams on 24/7, just cruising down I-94? I realize they have them in some hi-po cars, but just your daily drivers?

Just a comment to Andys comment ..... I'm not being a jerk, but how many of you were taught to instinctively swerve right? I've always remembered that from drivers ed. I remember being told better to maybe hit the car to right than to hit someone head on. Just always stuck with me. 

The guy in the videos lucky no one ran him over. We just had a guy killed locally. Wrecked his bike on highway and witnesses said 2-3 tractor trailers may have run over him. So sad. 

I too was taught that same thing, and the majority of the times that is probably the correct move.  Just like wearing a seat belt, there can be times when it is a disadvantage, but not normally.

It's too bad that this happened to the kid. But what kind of people swerve around the bike and seem to keep going and not stop to help the bike driver? Glad to here the cam people stopped.

Soooo, pardon my ignorance, but do a lot of people really drive around with dash cams on 24/7, just cruising down I-94? I realize they have them in some hi-po cars, but just your daily drivers?

It is becoming more and more prevalent. I see them on hoods of rice racers going down the intersate. I do have a go pro and when I know if going to be going somewhere interesting I’ll suction cup it to my wind shield. And let it loop just incase something interesting happens. Only fun footage I have (no clue where it is), is when I drove head on into a week long annual bicycle event called RAGBRI (Registers Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa). It's about 10 minutes of solid bikes coming at me.

http://ragbrai.com/2016/01/23/ragbrai-2016-route-heads-to-scenic-southern-iowa/

I wish I had a dash cam for when I hit a deer in the beetle! I think it would be fun having one. I drive over 90 miles a day. 

I wish I had a dash cam for when I hit a deer in the beetle! I think it would be fun having one. I drive over 90 miles a day. 

I had 8 deer run into me last September . Was not pretty 

I think the prevalence of dash cams has become the norm to protect against lawsuits or questions concerning fault in an accident. With so many frivolous lawsuits, it's cheap protection these days. I just like making lake videos as it gives me something to watch over the winter ..... :(

I get the pleasure of seeing lots of wrecks.... About 6 weeks ago had an Audi with a deer in it, yes entered thru the winshield at 70mph. All time favorite was a vehicle rescue, when we pulled up there was a kayak sticking out of the windshield of a Honda Accord. Luckily this little lady was smart enough to hit the floor as it went right over her, knocked off the seat back and stopped in the back seat! Just had to pop the door and she crawled right out!! Tie down everything! It's all a projectile at highway speeds!!

Wife was in a head on collision...03/03/03. Never forget that day. She was bringing home a mirror (just the mirror) for a headboard 4ft long for her sister. Head on going 55, head board shot up from the back of the gmc jimmy, cut the top of her head rest and stuck into the sunroof cover. And it did not shatter! For the life of me I'll never figure that one out. 

Some things you see going down the road really makes you wonder how some people make it through life!  

I've used my iPhone for a couple of years on occasion, but my wife just bought me a dedicated dash cam, that I'll use in the vehicle and on the boat. 

Just saw this, but it's my Pet Peeve so I feel obligated to add my two cents worth. I have been riding Motorcycles for 54 years (yup, I am THAT old) and have dodged various items early on in my riding career. You get a sixth sense for watching trucks and trailers for things that don't look to be tied down, and start thinking about a plan for if the item comes off and heads toward you. First thing I do is to drop back. Then change lanes if possible. Still, that's no guarantee that I can't be the next unlucky motorcyclist.

If I were a Cop, I'd ticket everyone that has a mattress tied to the top of whatever vehicle they are driving.  Just one of the many things that proves that even an idiot is allowed to drive a car here in the USA. Sad really.

Dash cameras are becoming so popular these days, I am guessing that having them as an option on new cars is not too far off.

That accident happened not far from where I live (2 miles). The motorcyclist actually purchased his leather jacket just hours before the crash occurred and he had very little road rash on his hands and legs. He was one extremely lucky person! With out protective gear on he would have had no hope of surviving that crash. The SUV pulling the boat eventually came forward (I believe after a couple of days) to take responsibility.  I had to watch that video a couple of times before I understood what I was seeing. The Lord was watching over that young man. How many of us have seen coolers sailing out of boats that were being towed? Strap it down tightly or put it in your tow vehicle.

This goes for all items. Not just boat related items. I've had plywood fly out of the back of a vehicle in front of me. I knew someone that lived down the road from a Menards. People were always parked in front of their house picking up their wood from the road.

Back