Best Anchor

So I picked up a small box anchor and I’m less than impressed. I played with varying line lengths, line types, chain, no chain and it just would not bite today.

Suggestions?
Got the receipt? Ha!

This completely unbiased video of a Mantus vs box anchor, brought to you by Mantus. :D I have some packed mud bottoms like the vid shows and it locks down tight even in big wind. Where a Mantus falls on its face is on a shell bottom but I'm not sure what other types of anchors will excel there but also do great in other bottoms. Each design has its sweet spot so you really have to know your bottom and experiment.

Yup, great advice to consider your bottom before choosing your anchor!

So I picked up a small box anchor and I’m less than impressed. I played with varying line lengths, line types, chain, no chain and it just would not bite today.

Suggestions?
Maybe you just need a bigger one ?

This completely unbiased video of a Mantus vs box anchor, brought to you by Mantus. :D I have some packed mud bottoms like the vid shows and it locks down tight even in big wind. Where a Mantus falls on its face is on a shell bottom but I'm not sure what other types of anchors will excel there but also do great in other bottoms. Each design has its sweet spot so you really have to know your bottom and experiment.

A few comments on that video - what I LOVE about the box anchor is the short line I can let out and have it work. This video reflects a very low angle on many of the anchors (suggesting a 3:1 or greater rode ratio), and in some cases he even lowers the angle more, so I am not confident about this being an accurate comparison. And, the digger style does require a sandy or muddy bottom. I noted the box anchor he is using is not a Slide Anchor model - which are better.

I bought one off-brand, it did not setup or take down as smoothly, the mechanism/pin was sticky (slide anchor uses a SS pin). I had not at the time realized I should have compared the brands. I later found the Slide Anchor creator lives and sells in Havasu, and his direct pricing is better than online (including shipping). I recall the Box Anchor inventor stated his design is better - longer connector rod, improved teeth design!?!? - while I can't opine on this claim, I can confirm the pin mechanism works MUCH better / smoother! And I do know I loose at least 1 per year - stuck on something and can't get it up.

I do know my box rarely lets me down on a lake bottom that varies from mud to rock to sand and works really well in small coves where I can't let out much rode, yet the wind will spin us around like a clock arm. There is one place up-river we anchor in about 10 feet of water / sandy bottom / really clear water / cold and a really high flow rate - with about 15 foot of rode, my small box anchor does NOT pop-up like in the video, it buries itself in the sand, but the water is moving so fast that it pulls my 26 foot Benny / dragging that box anchor about 1 foot every 4 minutes =/- after about 45 minutes of taking cold water plunges we are about 200 feet down river. I use a small (19lbs) and large (26lbs), usually the small works, both with lock down my benny at the sandbar or near shore, and the large when windy/choppy. I suggest this implies that the Box works better with less angle, which pushes the teeth into a soft bottom. Now, the key with box anchors - get a canvas wood tote bag to carry and store them - that is life changing!

And, for those that have the dollars - Slide Anchor has Stainless and Powder Coated versions of the box anchor....I stick with the original.

Last edited:
My takeaway from the vid was the box anchor needs a bit of weight and/or soft bottom to really work it's magic. A spade/plow type anchor more uses angle of attack if you will, hence requiring a lot more scope but with less weight.

An 8-13lb Mantus works great and isn't going to shred my back or what's left of it. Looks like the smallest Slide Anchor (Baby) is 13lbs, Small is 19lbs and Large 26lbs. That must be hell to pull up if it's got grass, mud etc. clinging to it! But I guess that's what kids, beer and Advil are for!

An anchor should not be judged solely on its holding power. Typically the strongest holding anchor has sharp steel plates and a heavy chain. Most of the time I do not want to bring this type of anchor on my fragile aluminum boat. Anchors with pivot points can trap mud and weeds. Cleaning the anchor is tough when on a relatively tall pontoon boat. Despite all this there are rare occasions that a strong holding anchor is needed. For those rare occasions I have an anchor that I leave on the ground down by the lake. The last time I used it was 5 years ago during fireworks on a windy fourth of July. My main anchor that I keep on on the boat is rubber covered. I have thought about using a bowling ball on the thick soft line but that would be going to far.

Personally, I love my 4 lbs Fortress. I boat on a relatively shallow lake that can get pretty rough and it holds my 28’ with little rode generally needed. Our lake bottom is a combination of marl and sand.

Personally, I love my 4 lbs Fortress. I boat on a relatively shallow lake that can get pretty rough and it holds my 28’ with little rode generally needed. Our lake bottom is a combination of marl and sand.
Wow, a 4 lb anchor would be DREAMY....but the 5:1 rode ratio means 100 feet for a typical 20' depth, and on our lake, I would get blown into the cove shore (they are about 50' wide). This is a great example of how important each needs to understand our usage and specific circumstance. I can see this anchor being far superior for a shallow lake, or where you don't need to anchor close to shore!!! And I love how it folds up (vs the Mantus - which is an amazing design, but does not fold up). So many options, so few boating days.......

1717719472668.png

I saw the Minn Kota Deckhand powered anchor on a few pontoon boats at the marina today, please see the pictures. I am considering getting one for next season. The marina will install with a 30 LB anchor with a switch on the dash for about $1K. Does anyone have any experience with this anchor? IMG_3847.jpeg

I saw the Minn Kota Deckhand powered anchor on a few pontoon boats at the marina today, please see the pictures. I am considering getting one for next season. The marina will install with a 30 LB anchor with a switch on the dash for about $1K. Does anyone have any experience with this anchor? View attachment 36221

I’ve had one on both my Benningtons for 14 years. Only replaced the circuit board on one them about 5-6 years ago.
Install price seems fair.
Do you have under skinning?
Complete unit is $500 @ Cabellas.
Throw in 30’ of power wire. $75?
$1-200 for a basic anchor. Make sure to get right type. The pic is mud/mushroom, I use a fluke type with a quick release for weeds.
I could install in 2-3 hours (without under skin).
Our local dealer who supplies probably 50% plus of the boats on our lake has installed hundreds of these MK units.

Last edited:
I’ve had one on both my Benningtons for 14 years. Only replaced the circuit board on one them about 5-6 years ago.
Install price seems fair.
Do you have under skinning?
Complete unit is $500 @ Cabellas.
Throw in 30’ of power wire. $75?
$1-200 for a basic anchor. Make sure to get right type. The pic is mud/mushroom, I use a fluke type with a quick release for weeds.
I could install in 2-3 hours (without under skin).
Our local dealer who supplies probably 50% plus of the boats on our lake has installed hundreds of these MK units.

Thanks for your reply. What is under skinning?

Its also called a wave shield .

Back