Best way to handle a dusty boat from sitting at the marina...

DougandMichelle

Reaction score
This is the first time I've kept a boat at a marina.  I didn't have the play pen cover on for a couple of weeks then we went to use it and I was a little surprised as to how much dust I encountered.  I was thinking the best way to handle it would be to just dunk an old towel in the lake and wipe her down or maybe use a pump up sprayer and rinse it off.  What do you guys do?

Thanks in advance.

:)  

Rinse thorough with water, gentle soap scrub, rinse thorough again, dry and lastly COVER IT.

Not covering the furniture can possibly void any warranty issues with the furniture if it's proved due to same. Just a warning.

+1 on cover it. 

Using the 303 protectorant sure makes it easier to clean.

Cool.  Thanks guys. :)

I took my mooring cover off my Bennie yesterday--after a long winter.

Boy, those things are a pain in the rear to even get unsnapped.  I'd hate to think that I had to deal with it everytime I went out on the water.

I made seat covers last year to keep on my seats to combat spider droppings.  Thankfully my boathouse has enough overhang where my boat never gets wet from rain.

I cleaned our boat a week ago from the winter sitting on the lift. We went out yesterday and I had to go over the seats with towels sprayed with vinyl cleaned to get the pollen off even with the boat covered. It'll get in everywhere.

Light soap and water.  Protect with 303.  Keep covered.  Even with the cover you have to contend with spider droppings and light dust. Don't forget to use dryer sheets to help with spiders.  

Light soap and water.  Protect with 303.  Keep covered.  Even with the cover you have to contend with spider droppings and light dust. Don't forget to use dryer sheets to help with spiders.  
Dryer sheets?  Just put a few around and the spiders don't like them?

Yup, dryer sheets, bugs don't like them.

Mice don't like them either. I threw two boxes inside everything under my cover before storing it for winter. It'll smell srpring time fresh when in unveil her next week.

Nice.  I'll sure do that.  Not only was it dusty but there was a ton of spiders everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep been using dryer sheets in our boats and campers for years Work well and smell nice in the spring!

Just took off the shrink wrap on ours last night from having stored all winter. Lots of dust and spider droppings, some leaves and such. Swept it out good and threw the playpen cover on it until this weekend when I can actually wash her down good. Those spider droppings look narly on my ivory interior!!! I really hope they clean off relatively easily. GRRRR!!!

Do you think dryer sheets would keep bats out? With my Baja I had two sometimes three bats roast in the nose of the mooring cover. I removed them to never return. But their friends took their place. It was a contain battle. I am very concerned with my new Bennington because the playpen cover is so open on the back. Looking for suggestions.

Won't hurt to try them out.

Back