Boat broke down this past Saturday

princefan319

Reaction score
I've been a boater for a long time so I thought that I'd experienced just about everything once until Saturday afternoon.

We loaded up our 2012 2275GC with all our stuff and brought along another family. All goes well until we about 30 minutes from launching, maybe 2-3 miles out, going nearly WOC, power abruptly stops. Engine runs fine but prop is barely spinning. Took us nearly 2 hours to get back going 1.5 miles an hour or so. Very embarrassed.

Any ideas? I assuming something lower unit on my Yammi 150.

Any chance this is covered?

"Should" be covered if original owner. 

Does it go in gear when you move throttle?

Possible the linkage came undone or something minor?

You didn't by chance hit anything did you?

Any warning buzzers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you check the hub in the prop? Sounds like it's slipping. Put it in gear (while it's not running, on the trailer) and see if you can turn the prop.

It goes into gear and will propell the boat slowly.  If RPM gets over 2K the engin RPMs can go up but boat goes no faster.  Something is slipping.

Did not hit anything.  Was in over 36' of water/middle of the lake channel when it happened.

The drive shaft going down to the gearbox and to the prop is all gear to gear.  Any "spinning" would probably be the rubber coupler around the prop hub slipping.  Maybe a prop shop can fix it for you.

Spun hub in the prop.  If you pull the prop, more than likely you will see some black rubber chunks. 

Took it in to the dealer today.  They are saying likely a spun hub and it's not covered under warranty.  Great.

What was your purchase date? I thought Yami had a 3 year warranty ..... if past that, then yeah, probably not. If under that, and no signs of prop damage I'd ask them why.

Took it in to the dealer today.  They are saying likely a spun hub and it's not covered under warranty.  Great.
Heck, that's an easy and cheap fix! Be thankful that's all it is!

You will be on the water in a matter of minutes.

Good luck!

Dan

If it was a Merc breakaway hub the new Delerin piece is only $30 or so. I keep a spare in my boat, with tools to swap it out. Which means I'll never spin a prop. It only happens when you don't have a spare on board.

If it was a Merc breakaway hub the new Delerin piece is only $30 or so. I keep a spare in my boat, with tools to swap it out. Which means I'll never spin a prop. It only happens when you don't have a spare on board.
Yup, you're good. Water level is consistant, no debris floating, you've got no worries. I see a future of two spun props in a matter of minuets.

Confirmation-spun propr fixed costing $150 (I had them rotate my trailer tires/change out the spare as well).

Thanks for the advice about keeping a spare and the required tools.  I will look into that.

Back