Bravo 3 outdrive squeeking

Gwest

Reaction score
I have a 2012 2575 QCW with the Merc 350 and the Bravo 3 outdrive. I'm having 2 issues.

After talking with a few people they came up with the notion that my U Joints are the cause of my squeeking.

When the boat is in gear and the outdrive is fully lowerd the squeeking is most evident. As soon as you raise the out drive up just a tad the squeek go's away. Should this be coverd under Warranty?

Problem #2 when you throttle forward to put the boat in gear the is very slow to engage the prop. Example before when you moved the throttle into gear you had a very positive click or clunk and you could feel the boat start spinning the prop. Now what happens is a slow to engage and start spinning the prop, and I don't have that positive click or pop that it used to have that you could feel as it clicked into gear. Anyone have any Idea what this could be and if so Again should it be coverd.

The reason I ask is my Dealer is a 4 hr round trip and if it's not going to be coverd under warranty there are closer Merc dealers in the Aera that could service the unit and I could save time and $ in gas.

My dealer is saying "bring it on in and let us have a look at it and then we can tell you if it's coverd or not"

Any authorized Mercury dealer can do warranty work on a Mercury. Sounds like you have a Mercury related warranty issue and not a Bennington issue, I wouldn't drive 4 hrs.

Yup, what crvtt said. Everything sounds Mercury related, not Bennington. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Have you had the U joints and gimbal bearing greased? Mine is done at the winterization service at the end of every season..............

As said above, any Mercury dealer should be able to do the warranty work for you.  4 hr. haul is just too difficult on such a large boat.

I'd be looking for a dealer that sells a bunch of Mercruisers, as their mechanics will be more familiar with I/O units.  That Bravo 3 outdrive is a different animal.

Some mechanics lean toward outboards, and some mechanics lean toward I/O's.

Thanks for the Reply's.

I have not greased the U joints and the dealer serviced it this last winter but I have no idea if they greased the U joints.

I see there is a Zerk fitting on the ring that mounts to the transom. What grease do you use and when do you stop?

Greasing the U joints/gimbal bearing should be part of the winterization service for an I/O. Was it on the work order ticket?

I have used Mercury Universal joint/gimbal bearing grease/lube in the past. I'm not sure what my marina mechanics use. Just use a standard grease gun and apply until you can't get any more in the zerk fitting or it starts to come out...........

Preferably a marine waterproof grease. I use synthetic grease in all my stuff.

Back