Carpet...snap in or leave stock?

THayes

Reaction score
Hello,

Just ordered a 2275GCW and going back and forth about getting the snap in carpet. It sounds like it would be a great addition, being able to lift it out for cleaning or drying after being caught in the rain. Also there are times I'd like to run without the carpet, my concern is the snaps on the deck being in the way. I don't know if the snaps are only on the perimeter of the carpet, or might be in a location on the deck the would be a tripping or "toe stubbing" hazard.

I would appreciate any input on thoughts or experience with the snap in carpet....it seems like a great option...being able to run with carpet on the deck...or just the vinyl deck for a day of play on the water.

Thanks for the help....

Tom

Search for other posts about this topic, I also thought hard about snap in carpet and decided against it mainly because we had plenty of other options on our GCW and this was the one place we saved a little money.

Some of the things about snap in carpet are having two floors to keep clean and depending on what speeds you usually go the front carpet will lift while cruising. I don't think the snaps will be in the way too much. I know people that have snap in carpet but they never use the carpet, they just leave it out all the time.

Have you thought about full vinyl floor? That may be my only regret as I seems the people on here that bought the full vinyl Seagrass floor seem to really love it. This was probably our toughest decision when we purchased our boat this winter. Good luck!!!

Go with the vinyl-only flooring. Well worth the extra money. I went back and forth with this. Clean up is a breeze and no stains to worry about.

Another thing: if you get the all vinyl flooring, get a washdown system (one that connects directly to the water, not a hold tank type)

My wife didn't like the looks of the snap in carpet, so make sure you have that base covered.

The snap in carpet and the vinyl are both pretty expensive options when added together. From what I've read, the people with both have a tendency to seldom use the carpet. They just like the vinyl so well, and its easy cleanup.

After walking on the vinyl one time at dealer and noticing the dirty footprints, we opted to stick with full carpet. We thought the same thing about cleaning than realized all we were going to do was try to keep carpet AND vinyl clean. We just have small door mats at the gates to clean feet and try to keep carpet as clean as possible. As dirty as the vinyl gets, we figured we'd probably never run without carpet anyhow.

The reason I bought the all vinyl were: our two black labs. They shed incessantly. On my Lund fishing boat I have red carpet, and no matter what I do, vacuum, power wash, rinse, pluck, I can't get all the hair out. Reason two is that our toon is also a fishing boat, and there will be blood, fish feces, etc. Third is the grandchildren and their various spills and accidents.

Padre, does the all vinyl floor look real clean all the time? I realize that it depends on what you track in but how does it look after a family day out with no big spills or accidents, just the family getting on and off the boat? How much effort does it take to really keep it pristine?

We have the snap out carpet, We Love It!

IMHO when we order another boat one day it will have the same option. After boating for 40+ years this was the first snap out carpet option we have ever bought, it will not be the last.

You have the best of both worlds. We have a lot of red clay around our lake, when hanging out on an island all weekend we remove the carpet or at least a section of it. Easy to clean up the vinyl.... when our for the evening cruise, floating, or our with adult friends we have the carpet in. Storage; the carpet comes out. Takes all of 4 minutes to install or remove (with 2 people).

I think it's close to impossible to keep the vinyl completely spotless, to us the carpet looks better, finer, etc. If our carpet ever wears out it will be a "snap" to replace.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Padre, does the all vinyl floor look real clean all the time? I realize that it depends on what you track in but how does it look after a family day out with no big spills or accidents, just the family getting on and off the boat? How much effort does it take to really keep it pristine?
Link,

Don't know yet, haven't been on it! :)

I know the vinyl on the back section of our boat is very difficult to keep "pristine". It doesn't get super dirty, but something that rough with good wet traction is bound to have dirt stick to it too. I have scrubbed it with soap and water (and a scrub brush) and while it gets pretty clean, it never looks like it did new. Like someone else said, it depends how and where you use your boat. No real right or wrong answer, just whatever suits your needs. This forum is great for laying out all the possibilities about just about everything though!

I know my extended deck doesn't clean super easy, like you said, never looks like new, my biggest problem is the fact that the playpen cover doesn't cover the rear deck on the RCW. It drives me bonkers! I'm going to have to figure out something this spring since a cat seemed to think going under my cover was a nice place on a rainy day. I was none too happy! Not sure why Bennington didn't extend the cover all the way out. Dirt might not be too visible on that new seagrass though.

Hey Derrick,

Be glad it was not a raccoon looking for a warm spot to hide. I saw pictures of what they can do to the furniture when they want to get inside the seats ...... It ain't pretty !!!!!

The snap out carpeting is one of my favorite features. We get a lot of rouge waves from wakeboarders and cabin cruisers. When the carpet gets wet we just snap it out and hang it over the deck to dry.

We just traded a 2007 2575 RL with snap in carpet and full vinyl. The vinyl outside the carpet was impossible to clean. We used a steam mop with limited success. We went with the seagrass and carpet in the front on the new 2375 GCW looks like that will be a better decision. Good Luck

We just traded a 2007 2575 RL with snap in carpet and full vinyl. The vinyl outside the carpet was impossible to clean. We used a steam mop with limited success. We went with the seagrass and carpet in the front on the new 2375 GCW looks like that will be a better decision. Good Luck

We use a little 303 cleaner with a moderate bristle brush. Does a good job of cleaning the vinyl deck. Looking forward to having more options on the snap in carpet. When we bought in 2011 the only option for the 20 SLI was the standard carpet.

I used to own a jeep that was my only vehicle at the time. Well, not counting the motorcycle.

Anyway, I generally kept the carpet OUT to keep it clean and only put it in when I was going to button the thing up for some reason, like a date where I was wearing decent clothing.

Oh...

I also used to keep the doors out and the windshield down.

After all, if you're going to have a jeep, you might as well enjoy it like a jeep. B)

I have the snap in carpet and really like it, probably one of my favorite features of my boat.

Back