Damage To Port Side Tube "Wing"

Is this something I should have repaired asap? I was told it would take just a few days, once the replacement piece arrives.

Or could I wait until after the season?

It only took a day and a half to remove and replace the port side pontoon on mine . Doesn't seem like it should take that long ,if they have a welder lined up ahead of time .

I'd get it done now if they can do it fairly quick. I only have a 20hp motor on my toon and it blocks a lot of splash. I can't imagine what a 70 hp throws up.

I doubt it would hurt to wait. I have a bent shield, been like that 2 years now....

Last edited by a moderator:
I just posted the pictures of the damage we had in my Gallery if you want to look (sorry I'm inept following posting pix in text directions : /) We obviously had that damage all season long. Didn't affect performance as far as we could tell (certainly glad it didn't rip a hole in the TOON and was just on that outer edge! Yikes). Didn't take long for welder to do work once they had the replacement fin. Going to check out a lot better once we get out of storage and also take a picture. Will post when that happens.

Here's one photo from gallery:

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/gallery/image/5269-damage/

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot expect the Marina to replace a your pontoon because of this.  If it did go to court, they would never make the marina replace the pontoon.  I agree, a crafty person and welder can make this look just like new.

I'd ask a Bennington dealer what they recommend as they (Bennington) are the experts.

Nice job! I'd like to know how they cut the old one off. I'd love to remove my outer strakes.

I think it looks great. Thanks for the pics. My dealer assures me it will be taken care of. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

Nice job! I'd like to know how they cut the old one off. I'd love to remove my outer strakes.
Don't really know. After our dealer notified us that the part was in he had us trailer the boat over to the welder they use and then we went back the next day when it was all done. Maybe ask your dealer if they have a contact.

CWag, I was considering adding outer strakes, why do you want to remove them?

I wonder how much the performance foils on the inner cause it to bank vs having strakes on the inside. They are different shape, size, length. You might cut them off to get 2 degrees of banking

Back