Dealer price change

I truly understand both side. Being in sales for over twenty years, I would never increase the cost after a quote/price sheet. I would just eat it and know that my customer will be back to purchase again some day.

Here is my $0.02 worth.

1.  When was boat ordered with 115hp not installed

2.  When was boat quoted with new 150hp

3.  When was deposit given to dealer with go ahead of 150hp motor

Since I don't see what type of engine (2 stroke or 4 stroke merc), but the upcharge was $2400 between a 115hp and 150hp.  Where I am going with this is if you put the deposit down within a reasonable amount of time when they quoted you the upgraded motor price, they should have bought or acquired that 150hp motor right then and there from whatever source they got the price to quote you.

Rigging costs should not matter between 115hp and a 150hp unless you asked for waveshield and or hyd steering when you made the change from 115 to 150

Things happen, if you feel that they didn't mean fraud then ask for a compromise. Mention that you are on the Benny forum. credit for service, discounts or freebies on life jackets, anchors, etc... It can work out for both parties.

I wasn't in a hurry and allowed the dealer to take my engine to make another customer happy. Was rewarded with the newest model year, Pro version, and extended warranty. Not all dealers are bad.

If they don't compromise- mention the hill billy friend with the flame flower from ohio. Lol

Here is my $0.02 worth.

1.  When was boat ordered with 115hp not installed

2.  When was boat quoted with new 150hp

3.  When was deposit given to dealer with go ahead of 150hp motor

Since I don't see what type of engine (2 stroke or 4 stroke merc), but the upcharge was $2400 between a 115hp and 150hp.  Where I am going with this is if you put the deposit down within a reasonable amount of time when they quoted you the upgraded motor price, they should have bought or acquired that 150hp motor right then and there from whatever source they got the price to quote you.

Rigging costs should not matter between 115hp and a 150hp unless you asked for waveshield and or hyd steering when you made the change from 115 to 150
Put down a deposit about thirty days ago with the understanding that we we were leaving on vacation/business trip for two weeks the next day. We would secure financing after our return. Plus there was an extended warranty offer of an additional two years through merc.

Boats a 2013 with no motor and a choice of a 50 on up to 150. We chose the 115hp 4 stroke thinking it would be plenty big for water sports. Was told I could upgrade the engine to a 150 4 stroke at any time prior to closing for an additional $2400. After reading many posts regarding the power of the 115, my wife and I decided to upgrade.

Does not include hydraulic and power assist, which I'll install after delivery. No wave shield.

You'll want the wave shield.......

Awesome Johnny, congrats on the boat.

What's a wave shield? Looked through benningtons brochure and couldn't find anything.
Congrats on the working the deal out!

The wave shield is a group of flat metal panels fastened under the deck, between the pontoons. Spray from the pontoons hitting the frame members beneath the deck will cause drag, surging, and more noise. With a 150 you definitely want to add this if possible. There are some videos on the site, taken from the under side while underway. They're quite eye opening even with smaller motors.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

The boat does not have a wave shield, however, that's a good thing considering I'm adding power assist after taking delivery.

Someone posted a great statement/quote....buy your last boat first. With power assist, we'll be right there.

It's Saturday...

Did you get your boat???  Walk away???  What happened???

It's Saturday...

Did you get your boat???  Walk away???  What happened???
I probably made a mountain out of a mole hill. But after several phone conversations, I didn't think they would honor the price. But after talking to them face to face pleading my case, they agreed It was the right thing to do and we made the deal. They were nothing but professional and understanding of the way the docs were written. They admitted to the over site. My guess is they put into place a new system.

Now it's time to focus on building a dock and installing a lift.

Perfect! Congrats! You guys are going to love it. Post pics as soon as you can!

Smart move on their part. They'll probably make it back tenfold over the years since they kept you happy.

All brand new. 2013 boat with 2015 engine. All warranties apply. Going to see if Bennington will install the power assist.
I didn't see it in your other posts. Does the boat have lifting strakes?

Did you get to test drive it?  Sorry, I'm not sure what part of the country you are in and whether there is still ice there or not.

You mentioned installing the hydraulic steering system yourself.  I plan to do this as well at some point.  Here's one of the best videos I've seen on the install.  It does not look hard to do at all.  You will be glad you don't have wave shields when you do this.  Should make hose routing much simpler.

I've read many places that you should NOT use Teflon tape.  If any gets into the system, it is bad news.  They use it in this video unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mentioned installing the hydraulic steering system yourself.  I plan to do this as well at some point.  Here's one of the best videos I've seen on the install.  It does not look hard to do at all.  You will be glad you don't have wave shields when you do this.  Should make hose routing much simpler.

I've read many places that you should NOT use Teflon tape.  If any gets into the system, it is bad news.  They use it in this video unfortunately.
I agree it is not difficult to install Hydraulic Steering as long as you have access.  I've done it on a fish-n-ski and had access to route everything.  I've not installed power assist on top of the hydraulic (seems pretty straight forward though).  For a 150, it would be nice to have the power assist, but it is not necessary.  Hydraulic is a huge improvement.  The install I did was on a 150 merc EFI 2-stroke.  My brother also has it on his 21' Triton fish-n-ski with a 200 EFI merc.  No issues with the bigger motor either.

Back