Ethanol..... again. Useful tips here.

Good read. Thanks for sharing. I replaced mine at the end of the season. I'm thinking I'll have to use the primer bulb to refill correct?

Well, I'm no scientist..... oh wait..... wrong topic. What I mean is I'm no mechanic. My filter is below the tank, so gravity takes care of the refill issue. And I have no primer bulb.

Long and short of it..... I'm just no help! Hopefully someone else chimes in, Andy.

My tank is in the center sps toon, then the filter is up under the rear lounger, then it travels back below deck to the motor! I'm guessing some primer bulb action will be required. I'll figure it out. I just want to make sure the water stays out.

Interesting on the ring free. That article made it sound like it was for older motors but I know Derrick and others use it. I'll have to research some more.

Interesting on the ring free. That article made it sound like it was for older motors but I know Derrick and others use it. I'll have to research some more.
Oh no, to Derrick, his motor is old. Real old. So old he'll probably need to get a new one soon!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!

Why Buy an expensive Boat to put CHEAP GAS into it 

The marina here sells Ethanol Free Gas 

It is expensive , but see is The F90 Yamaha

I need this Boat to last 10 years to justify the cost (lol)

Pay the premium for the Gas and as the article said buy the cheaper Beer (LOL)

Or in my case forget the Pepsi and drink Sam Club's Pop from Walmart (Soda for the rest of the country)

109013616.jpg

Give me 2000 hours Yamaha and I will be extremely pleased

Problem is that not all areas have e free gas.

http://www.pure-gas.org

My nearest dealer to home is closed during winter months and most homeowners policies restrict so many gallons stored on premises and Ohio restricts over 10 gallons in transportation mode. (Not enforced unless your in a accident)

I say all of this as marine grade it's better for your boat motor as well as lawn equipment, generators, atv's, non fuel injected motorcycles. Etc.

It's more harmful than most realize. I have had to rebuild carbs multiple times on my race quads till I switched

Best steps are to run stabil thru the engine and drain the carbs if possible.

Or VP Fuel has been my favorite for years. I use the 30 gallon pails.

:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why Buy an expensive Boat to put CHEAP GAS into it 
Nobody wants to buy an expensive boat . . . it's more like they're all expensive!!

I plan on putting auto fuel in when it's convenient but I'm sure I'll hit the marinas from time to time or toward season's end.

I thought I remember hearing that Ring Free is also used for those of us that slow cruise most of the time.  That the engines were designed to work most efficiently at higher RPMs so that by lower cruising carbon may develop.  I went to Yamaha Marine to research but only found this:

In any hard-working engine like the one in your outboard motor, carbon deposits can build up over time and seriously affect performance and engine life. While it is normal, it is also avoidable. Ring Free PLUS Fuel Additive has repeatedly proven its ability to clean combustion deposits from inside the engine, notably the critical piston-ring area. Carburetors and fuel injection systems also benefit from its strong cleansing abilities. Ring Free Plus will also add protection from the corrosive affects of sulfur compounds in ethanol-blended fuels (E10) on electronic parts and fitting in fuels systems. Follow package instructions carefully.

Certified Yamaha Techs that I have spoken with are all vocal advocates of Ring Free Plus...and plead with customers to use the stuff if they run street gas through their outboards. Personally, I use it. I'm just some guy who reads a lot and listens to people who know lots of stuff. With so many techs advocating for this stuff, I just use it. It's not cheap I guess. About $1.50/oz. One ounce per 10 gallons of fuel, so when I put on 20 gallons...it costs me an extra $3. I don't buy marina gas anymore. As much as some are fans...I'm just not. Marina gas tends to be far older than street gas and is more prone to water and sediment contamination. Street gas has 10% ethanol. I can treat the gas to counter the effects of ethanol. I can't treat the gas to counter the effects of age and contamination. Just one guy's opinion. For $3/fill-up, Ring Free Plus is the strategy I use. YMMV.

I have been using Marine Sta-Bil with ethanol fuel treatment for years and it has worked well for me. Every time gas goes in the boat, Sta-Bil goes with it.

So, if you use Marine Stabil, you don't have to use Ring Free Plus??? Or, do you use them both? I'm about to receive delivery of my 115 Yamaha. Should I use one or both of these from day one?

More info about Ring Free Plus. I wonder if there's any issue in running it in a Merc? I can't imagine so.....

Well now you guys have me second guessing using the Marine Sta-Bil vs. switching to the ring free. Sta-Bil is available on Amazon Prime so I bet that's what made the choice for me starting out. 

This is why I use Seafoam. It keeps everytinng clean and I think it's less expensive than Ring Free. My $.02

+1 on Seafoam......

Carl......do they have ethanol free fuel on this lake somewhere?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
All the marinas and restaurants are E-free. A few stations around the lake are E-free also.

Back