Ethanol..... again. Useful tips here.

No marina on our lake carries ethanol free either.  I made the decision to carry it in to protect my Benny but it is a PIA

I made these ,carry 20 gallons @ a time .Walmart tubs and 2x4 

I live about a quarter of a mile from two gas stations so I just take two trips with my 2 cans. I did it on my bicycle once with 5 gallons and though I was going to die. That really throws off your steering!

Oh yeah I forgot about Jacks list.....

I realize this thread is over a year old but I thought I'd mention some things:

I had been using the mercury brand fuel additive (https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/parts-and-accessories/mercury-marine-products/fuel-care/quickare/  ) the past two years and then the marine stabil for winter storage.  I went to a different marina last week but they didn't sell the Mercury brand stuff so I asked the dealer there about it.  He stated he used to sell it but then stopped because it has ethanol in it.  So instead, he now only sells the marine (blue) stabil to be used for the fuel additive....so that's what I'm using this season:

http://www.goldeagle.com/STA-BIL360-Performance-Marine-Campaign?gclid=Cj0KEQjwj7q6BRDcxfG4pNTQ2NoBEiQAzUpuW48MZcsOXXLgXK2kDvaxRC-ir-NvSy2tTuMcu2G7H8AaAs8N8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I realize this thread is over a year old but I thought I'd mention some things:

I had been using the mercury brand fuel additive (https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/parts-and-accessories/mercury-marine-products/fuel-care/quickare/  ) the past two years and then the marine stabil for winter storage.  I went to a different marina last week but they didn't sell the Mercury brand stuff so I asked the dealer there about it.  He stated he used to sell it but then stopped because it has ethanol in it.  So instead, he now only sells the marine (blue) stabil to be used for the fuel additive....so that's what I'm using this season:

http://www.goldeagle.com/STA-BIL360-Performance-Marine-Campaign?gclid=Cj0KEQjwj7q6BRDcxfG4pNTQ2NoBEiQAzUpuW48MZcsOXXLgXK2kDvaxRC-ir-NvSy2tTuMcu2G7H8AaAs8N8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have been using for 3 years . ( Quickare & Quickleen )

I am going to call Mercury later today .

I do the same and yes, that is interesting and worth investigating. I suppose it's so diluted it's not going to matter too much, but it is supposed to be protecting your engine.

There's also an app for iPhones to find the Pure Gas around your area.

Pure%20Gas%20App.jpg

Thanks Jack!

The person I spoke to ( didn't ask for his name ,my fault ) could not believe that  anyone would say that .

I did google the main ingredients on the msds ,"I" could not find anything with corn .

Hope I didn't miss it, if it  was listed 

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess I'm not surprised because I found it hard to believe when that guy at the marina told me that. I'll call him today and correct him. 

Bottom line,  I'm pretty sure using ANY fuel additive like these is far better than not using one.  I personally think both Mercury and Stabil products are solid.

I just received an Update from " Boating United " looks like this ethanol is getting worse .

Now I have a question... is it better to run 100 vs. 91? We have a few locations around that have 100 octane and I'm just wondering...

All that is available  near me is 90 ,so that is what I use .It is labeled as Premium on the street .

Station by me only has 90 also so that's what I use. Haven't seen any around me with 91 or 100. 

Ours is 91 and no other choices.  I think I remember one of the gas guys from Texas say that the higher octane will not hurt but that it is not necessary as long as it is ethanol free

Higher octane will definitely not hurt your engine but Link is right....it's totally unnecessary.  100 and 110 octane is typically racing fuel.  It will burn hotter so you will most likely obtain a little better fuel mileage but completely unnecessary in anything any of us are running.  My other boat is a Moomba ski boat with a 351 Ford Windsor engine and a 4-barrel Holley carb (it screams) and the recommended octane for that engine is 89 (standard is 87 of course) and that is only because I have the timing set for 14 degrees BTDC.

Back