Experiences at sea - Vineyard Sound (East Falmouth to Martha's Vineyard)

MalibuMike

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just want to add some of my experiences so far with running from East Falmouth to Martha's Vineyard. Prior to buying my 23SXP / 200hp (salt water edition) last year, I was looking for insights from owners in New England on their experiences running over to Martha's Vineyard. At that time there wasn't much info, but there were some interest; so, this is an update. So far I've made three trips. The first was 1ft seas, second was 1.5ft. and my last trip was 2-2.5 ft seas (all per NOAA and various other websites - I am really not good at judging wave height) I picked specific days so that I could gradually figure out where my comfort zone is. I can tell you that the boat performed way better than I expected. On our last trip, the seas were 2ft all day building to 3ft.. And, at the end of our return trip we saw some solid solid swells that I would guess were 2.5 ft; And, I still felt comfortable being out with the family. Kids loved the bumps. I have spent time on boats, and have most of my experience on a 24 ft Boston Whaler. Even in that boat, you can feel the waves; can't avoid it. So, I am REALLY happy with how my Benny performed. I had the trim set up a little higher than normal to keep the bow high, and kept my family in back with me (for the most part). Felt safe. With the family 2.5 ft is going to be my new maximum (so, 1-2 ft. seas).

Thanks for the video! You are absolutely right few people have posted videos in rough water. I run in the intracoastal in Florida and get a lot of chop and big wake. Been comfortable with mine so far. I have a 22SSXP with SPS and. Yamaha F150.

Thanks Rodsfields... We have very similar boats (mine has SPS as well). Are your experiences similar to mine? Have you taken it out in "2-3 ft seas" and found it acceptable? Looking for input from others as forecasts are not very accurate and don't want to find out the hard way that 3ft seas are to be avoided.... But, that is the answer I am really seeking; Can my 23SXP handle 3ft seas safely (despite the bumpy ride)? Thanks!

Thanks Rodsfields... We have very similar boats (mine has SPS as well). Are your experiences similar to mine? Have you taken it out in "2-3 ft seas" and found it acceptable? Looking for input from others as forecasts are not very accurate and don't want to find out the hard way that 3ft seas are to be avoided.... But, that is the answer I am really seeking; Can my 23SXP handle 3ft seas safely (despite the bumpy ride)? Thanks!
I’ve never taken it to the open ocean, attempted to one time but the swells at the inlet got me uncomfortable it was probably about 4-5ft in the inlet. So I turned around.

I’ve also been caught in a massive Florida downpour (the kind you can’t see through) on my way back home. Felt completely safe in that mess, and got a good fresh water wash down.

I have been fine in 2-3 ft through the intracoastal with no problem. And I’ve gone over 5 foot big boat wake no problem, but I definitely would not to be in consistent 5 ft swells.

I’ve only taken water over the bow one time and that was as I was exiting a sandbar near a busy inlet. Got pulled over by the fwc for a “safety check” and when we were done I wasn’t able to get on a plane fast enough before a big boat went by. Fortunately didn’t have any front panel damage.

Back