f150 vs f200 & SPS vs Express vs Eliptical w/strakes

I can tell you what I have experience on my boat. I have a 2275 RCW with the ESP and a Yamaha F250. We can cruise at 40 MPH with 9 people and 50 gallons on gas, with no problem. The ESP corners like my Malibu ski boat. Also the ski locker in the floor is awesome for storage. We just took our bout out in Lake Huron and it handled the wave awesome ! That's what I know, just remember there is no replacement for displacement !

What are you hitting for top speed with just a couple on board? What prop?

The fastest I have had the boat is about 44 mph. Not sure what the prop is, I looked through all my paper work but didn't find anything. I will go out and look on the prop tomorrow. My max RPM's are 6300.

I went out and check the prop ok my boat. It's a 17 151/2 saltwater series 2

Any thoughts ? I wounded what the RPM would be with a 19. 151/2. ?

Thought I had my mind made up on trading the 115 for a 150 but now I am more confused than ever :blink:

Same here Link! I've looked over the numbers and am trying to figure out the best combo of weight, lift and power. To go from what we have to a 24 sslx with sps and a 200 I'd be at 3213 lbs. I'm currently at 2192 lns with 2 25's and a 115. So would gaining an extra 85 hp really help out with the added thousand pounds? From what everyone is saying it sounds like a great package but I need to get some more information in Elkhart this weekend!

Not to step on anyones toes here but there are too many that do not have experience with 150-200's here just 250 guys saying go big no matter what.

I think I have submitted the most accurate info to date having owned two 22 foot Bennington's with the same engine on both literally swapped the same engine from one boat to the new one to make comparisons with. And it pertains to what the Lake living was originally looking for. Comparison between different tube options and what HP specifically for 22 foot boat.

I had a 22 foot triple tube fully straked and went to a 22 foot esp the comparison he was looking for. Had cost not been the inhibiting factor I would have had a 200 to make the ultimate comparison with but I am just too cheap, not that I can't afford it, but the 150 still does plenty good on the esp for me, like I said earlier it just lugs a bit hard when loaded heavy and carving corners while aggressive tubing is in demand.

There are too many non related posts to Lake livings topic. 250 should not be part of this discussion. Topic thread was specifically 150-200 and differences on different tube packages.

And then Yamaha muddied the waters this year with the introduction of an F200 I4 engine which is the same engine as the 115 and 150 to compare to the SHO 200 V-6. They are pretty new and I have seen a couple toons on the water in my area but have not talked to an actual owner to get a personal feeling for them.

I saw reference in a thread to "no replacement for displacement" that's fine except for the fact that the 115,150 and 200 I4 are the same engine and displacement as are the 200,225 and 250 SHO Yamahas so that theory is moot.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems there is not enough info on the i4 f200 as it is so new. Hopefully I can get some good information this Sunday at Bennington.

"" I saw reference in a thread to "no replacement for displacement" that's fine except for the fact that the 115,150 and 200 I4 are the same engine and displacement ""

Not exactly. The F115 is a 1.7L and does not have a counter-balanced crankshaft The F150 is a 2.7L, while the new SHO 150 and F200 are 2.8L. All counter-balanced.

Wild and Free made an excellent point for comparison purposes since he has owned both the 22 SPS and 22 ESP packages with the same Yamaha F150. The ESP is just plain MORE boat to push.

Ben

My Bad on the I4 engines, I was thinking the 200-225and 250 v-max sho they are all the same. So I was 50% right lol.

I have never looked at the sho 150 specs and never think about it.

I am now curious as to the differences between the f200 and v-max sho 150? Major specs look very similar. Why do they categorize one as v-max sho150 and one a regular f200?

regular f150 is 115cc smaller or .2 cubic inches.

I just looked at the specs of both engines and to be honest, I'm disappointed with what I now see with the SHO 150. I'm not sure why Yamaha is even bothering to call it an SHO other than it's only available in a 20" and has the decal. It doesn't have the good SHO gearcase, which makes absolutely no sense since it's aimed directly at the bass boat crowd. It has the standard gearcase with a 2.00 gear ratio. Maybe Yamaha will make the gearcase change soon. They better if they want the fishermen to buy em. For my money, I'd buy the F200. It still has the standard gearcase, but at least it has the 1.86 gear ratio.

I checked with the dealer and it is another $2800 to go to the 200 from the 150. Seems like a lot for gaining a little but what do I know. I keep thinking back to Kaydano and how happy he is with the 150. Good top speed while empty, loaded, and pulls a tube nice. The dealer also said outboards are allowed to have a 10% +- variance of actual power that is stated on the decal. So you could get a week 200 and be at 180 or get a stout 150 and be at 165. I think my 150 is pretty strong but without a dyno who knows. Here is a video of mine I took yesterday. As you can see trim plays a big role in my top speed.

That's fast ! I would be happy with that.

My prior post is wrong, I have a 115 and the top speed right now is good but add some weight and it is another story!! I think we have the fastest pontoon on our lake but more power never hurt. Thus this thread's purpose was to get some feed back on toon configuration/motor choice to see how much a new boat would cost and then how much we would loose on ours to make it happen. It is a tough call. Based on the loss on our current boat and getting another it would be around 14K. That seems like a lot of money to go another 6mph in a straight line and have a better top speed with weight on the boat. I could probably by a decent used speed boat for that. Thus the dilemma we all face. What do we want and how much are we willing to sacrifice to get it. Anyone have a money tree laying around?

I was more surprised at you doing that with no battery power! Impressive! Hehe.

I was more surprised at you doing that with no battery power! Impressive! Hehe.
Sometimes it takes a min or two for the gauge to show anything. I noticed that in the video as well and while on the lake today it was in normal range. Who knows!

Sometimes it takes a min or two for the gauge to show anything. I noticed that in the video as well and while on the lake today it was in normal range. Who knows!
I would suspect a loose ground wire.

Thanks Tom. I'll crawl under the helm and check the connections next time I take it out.

Back