f150 vs f200 & SPS vs Express vs Eliptical w/strakes

I swung into the dealer yesterday and he said he has a merc 250 pro xs he could put on a new toon if I wanted. That would entail esp, but would still be cheaper than sps and a new Yamaha 200. I'm not a big 2-stroke guy but that thing would be a beast.
Now yer talkin!

I might be faster than you then Tom!!!! It sounds like a sweet setup but if we pulled the trigger it would be on a 200 with sps.

I think my 24SSL toons measured 22' 3" from tip to tail (could be off a couple inches as I just laid the tape on the ground), but the back deck and transom extends out past that, so the LOA is definitely longer. Pretty sure the LOA is just under 24 (the 23' 10" mentioned above sounds right)... I have the 2012 model though.
My 24SLi is titled as a 22' boat - I thought that was strange.

I might be faster than you then Tom!!!! It sounds like a sweet setup but if we pulled the trigger it would be on a 200 with sps.
Yes it definitely would, though you'd attract a lot more attention, whether you like it or not!

This can be the official VS. thread. Post up what you want compared and all can chime in.

Hello all,

This seems to be the perfect post to ask my upgrade question, it seems there is a wealth of knowledge on the different packages bennington offers so here it goes. I have a 2010 2275GLI pontoon with 32" elipiticals, 6"in strakes and a yamaha 115TLR motor with a SS 3 blade prop. This was my first new boat purchase and was not quiet sure what kind of use I would get out of it. The dealer was nice enough to add extras to suit our needs and to this point the boat has been great! As what seems to be the norm with all boat owners after we got a few years of experience the "more power" bug has bitten us and were looking to upgrade. The boat is only a few years old so there is not going to be a great value on trade in as we still owe a good deal for it. My question is should we look to upgrade our engine to the 150, or wait to get into a new tri-toon with the added HP. we live on a remote area of the lake and have to shoot across about 30min to pick up our friends on the main lake. Lake Lewisville in TX is what im talking about. A typical outing consists of atleast 5+ adults and a few kids, gear is always a couple hundred extra pounds the majority of it is my Yeti 125 cooler. What im looking for is the optimal setup to get top cruising speed and pull a 2 person tube and maybe a wakeboard. with a full days load i top out at about 18-20mph with my 115, bimini tops up, in moderate wind and chop. cornering and handling isnt that big of an issue, capacity and speed is what im after. Jumping into a Q series with a I/O is a bit out of my price range, either upgrading the motor or getting a similar tri with more HP and performance package is the advice im looking for.

The listing shows a 4 blade prop!!! Anyway as you have ellipticals you might be happy just upgrading to a 150 to get that extra power. As for handling improvements you'll want to get a triton with ESP or SPS per my research and experience. I guess it all depends on your budget and what you can sell yours for. My boat is maxed out with a 115 so if I want more speed, power, handling I HAVE to get a new boat.

good call ben&suzy on posting the link! Im working with a local dealer to demo a few different boats..I would really like to get into a new boat, will continue to report!

I can't say enough good things about our new and old 2275RCW! ESP with a 200 on the first, and a 250 on the current. I was hanging out on a 2375GCW at the boat show and really loved it too, if I ever did go to another boat, I think a 2575RCWCP I/O would be next on the list. Although I do love having storage, just liked the look of it. My tower with the 250, 9 people and probably more gear than anyone truly needs, still hit 39.3. I was very pleased with that. Definitely going for a ride on and ESP, take her up to about 30 and give'er a good crank on the wheel, you'll be asking who to make the check out to!! Haha

I can't say enough good things about our new and old 2275RCW! ESP with a 200 on the first, and a 250 on the current. I was hanging out on a 2375GCW at the boat show and really loved it too, if I ever did go to another boat, I think a 2575RCWCP I/O would be next on the list. Although I do love having storage, just liked the look of it. My tower with the 250, 9 people and probably more gear than anyone truly needs, still hit 39.3. I was very pleased with that. Definitely going for a ride on and ESP, take her up to about 30 and give'er a good crank on the wheel, you'll be asking who to make the check out to!! Haha
A friend who went to the open house with me video'd the red 2575 Sport Tower with 8.2 I/O blasting by us while riding on another RCW. It was so smooth and fast, taking just a perfect "set" on the water, even with a full boat load of people. It takes your breath away just watching it power along with such a perfect attitude.

Jonny poses a nice little math question, and I like math...

I get 42 MPH from my 150. I got 35 MPH from my 115. That is an increase of 20% in top speed. If you use my 20% speed increase and apply that to your current speed of 19 MPH, the estimated speed of the 150 (on your boat) would be 19 x 1.2 = ~23 MPH, an increase of 4 MPH from the 150 upgrade.

If it takes you 30 minutes to get across the lake at 19 MPH, it will take you 25 minutes with the 150. Are you willling to shell out $5k for the motor upgrade to shave 5 minutes off the time to get across the lake? I'd say enjoy the extra minutes on the lake.

But, you mentioned tubing. You will WANT the 150 for that for sure.

On trading in just the motor vs trading in the boat with the motor, I can tell you that you will pay more $ trading in both. How much more is your question, I think, and only your dealer will be able to give you numbers on that.

Back to the 150, don't discount the motor upgrade because it only shaves a few minutes off your trip across the lake. That really is insignificant in your decision here. If you want to tube, THAT should tell you to get the 150.

Take a look at this. I went through a similar delema, and this explains it all: http://club.benningt...115-and-150-hp/

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, I would think you should be seeing more than 18-20 mph with that setup.

Are the pontoons "dirty" with pond scum on the bottom? That will slow it down quite a bit. You could just try cleaning them.

Or maybe your prop size isn't optimal...

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend who went to the open house with me video'd the red 2575 Sport Tower with 8.2 I/O blasting by us while riding on another RCW. It was so smooth and fast, taking just a perfect "set" on the water, even with a full boat load of people. It takes your breath away just watching it power along with such a perfect attitude.
What are the odds of getting that video on here Tom? I'm really disappointed at the lack of videos showing off the capabilities of these boats in the water. I've searched the web until bloody nubs were slapping the keyboard and I could nit find a video of SPS. You would think someone would have posted one on youtube at some point.

What are the odds of getting that video on here Tom? I'm really disappointed at the lack of videos showing off the capabilities of these boats in the water. I've searched the web until bloody nubs were slapping the keyboard and I could nit find a video of SPS. You would think someone would have posted one on youtube at some point.
I'll ask him. I think we were on the RCW/F250 when he shot the I/O. I'm not sure he took one of the SPS.

Wait and see if the twin elips are bennington rated for 200hp. There was one at meet and greet and yamaha website shows a 2275 with 200 yamaha that runs 48mph. If that's the case, and Bennington did nothing to upgrade transom, I'll will be looking to repower with a 200 in the near future

That sounds good mtudb, hoping it floods the used market with 150's because that is what I believe is the perfect motor for me :)

Back