Fenders

Fox

Reaction score
I am in receiving my new Pontoon and would like to know if anybody bought the Taylor made fenders for their pontoon

I bought a pair at WalMart.  There are just a few makers of boat fenders, and they're kind'a generic.

I've had my boat 2 summers, and have yet to use them, however.  I'll need'em at one point.

I use 4 - 8.5" Taylor Made fenders my slip is 10' wide so the fenders are in constant use, no issues.

Same here we use 6 x24  our slip is also 10' wide. Have had no problems.

We got 4 of the ^^^ same from the dealer blue to match the boat and also got the fender/rail clips and blue ropes to match they look really nice work well and all 4 fit in the flip up seat back on the L shaped bench seat.

I use 4 8.5" fenders at the dock but also carry a couple of larger fenders as I find they work much better when rafting up

I use 4 8.5" fenders at the dock but also carry a couple of larger fenders as I find they work much better when rafting up
Same here

Dock fenders are one thing and the smaller ones are fine

but need the big ones for rafting.......4 per/side

Has anyone used fender covers? We have white fenders and the aluminum toons are making them black.

Has anyone used fender covers? We have white fenders and the aluminum toons are making them black.
We did. Used magic eraser and simple green to clean every so often. Now have dark blue ones. Don't miss cleaning them ..... :)

Hell

This thread just reminded me that I wanted 4 more 8.5.......black ones on the way

Has anyone ever tried the "Fender Adjusters for Pontoon Boat Rails, 4 Pack" as noted in the website below:

(You may have to cut and paste the web address because I don't yet know how to make the web address send you directly to the web site like ABYPFCS correctly did earlier.) 

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Fender-Adjusters-For-Pontoon-Boat-Rails-4-pack&i=74625&aID=602B2&merchID=4006

Supposedly, the plastic clip "clips" onto the aluminum pontoon rails and is easy to move about.  I read that the plastic can break if too much stress is placed upon it though.  Anyway, I would like to know it such a clip can be placed on the bow aluminum pontoon railing in a way that the inner edge of the clip can be slid between the bow pontoon railing and the upholstery without damaging the upholstery and still be used just as easily as when placing the clip onto the stern pontoon railing.     

Has anyone ever tried the "Fender Adjusters for Pontoon Boat Rails, 4 Pack" as noted in the website below:

(You may have to cut and paste the web address because I don't yet know how to make the web address send you directly to the web site like ABYPFCS correctly did earlier.) 

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Fender-Adjusters-For-Pontoon-Boat-Rails-4-pack&i=74625&aID=602B2&merchID=4006

Supposedly, the plastic clip "clips" onto the aluminum pontoon rails and is easy to move about.  I read that the plastic can break if too much stress is placed upon it though.  Anyway, I would like to know it such a clip can be placed on the bow aluminum pontoon railing in a way that the inner edge of the clip can be slid between the bow pontoon railing and the upholstery without damaging the upholstery and still be used just as easily as when placing the clip onto the stern pontoon railing.     
Yes those are the clips that we have they will fit but we dont jam them down because our kids put the fenders out and pull them in. We love them save a ton of time and dont have to re adjust them every time you get them out.

I used the ones you listed. You will want to make sure where you want to put them has an accessible rail to hang them from. I was limited to the far back corners because of the stern lounge upgrade, and the front cushions are butted up against the rail, so I felt like I was going to break them.

My second attempt was the fender locks, and they work well. My fenders are in constant contact with the dock on all 4 sides. Not one time did they come undone and you can adjust the height just as easily.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Stainless-Steel-Fender-Lock&i=72093&str=Fender+hangers&merchID=4005

I installed EZ Fender and love them, the advantage being that they are so easy to adjust the length of the rope without retying.  I posted some pix in my gallery for those that want to see

Link,

I just showed my wife the EZ Fender system and she likes it more than the plastic clips, so (since she will be the one tying on the fenders) we'll probably go with the EZ Fender system.  Does the screw eventually damage the rope on the EZ Fender system?  And do the screws hold fast to the aluminum rails  and not slowly work their way loose?  Do you place different marks on the rope for different lengths to be able to correctly tie the fender lengths in advance as you slowly idle up to a familiar dock?  

David

David, I only installed the EZFenders mid summer.  The rope that goes through them is very small diameter so I will just keep an eye on it and replace as needed.  I was concerned about screwing into the rails and then the screw loosening up over time and considered using some type of epoxy as well but in the end I jut screwed them in.  I drilled the proper size hole and screwed by hand so I didn't mess up.  I didn't bother marking the ropes, my wife lets them down on one side while I do the other, we dock and then I make adjustments

1. Supposedly, the plastic clip "clips" onto the aluminum pontoon rails and is easy to move about.  

2. I read that the plastic can break if too much stress is placed upon it though.  

3. Anyway, I would like to know it such a clip can be placed on the bow aluminum pontoon railing in a way that the inner edge of the clip can be slid between the bow pontoon railing and the upholstery without damaging the upholstery and still be used just as easily as when placing the clip onto the stern pontoon railing.     
1. They are very easy to move around anywhere you may want it and very easy to adjust the fender height.

2. They may; cheap enough to have a few extras onboard. I have never broken one, using them for 2.5 years.

3. Yes, ours fits fine between the furniture and bow railing, some places tight but no problem with cushion/vinyl damage

I do not have the stern upgrade so using them aft has never been a problem.

EZ Fender is very nice, I just didn't want 8 of them on each side depending with who and/or where I was mooring or how many fenders I use.

Steve

And do the screws hold fast to the aluminum rails  and not slowly work their way loose? 
Use blue Loctite, no problem with loose screws or removing them if needed.

Steve

Back