Finally Delivery, and we love it

Trippernsc

Reaction score
We ordered our new pontoon back in early July, a blacked out R23 swingback with a Yahama 250.  We were told delivery would be the week of August 22nd, with a build date of August 22.  Our dealer had four boats being delivered that week they would all be here by the end of the week.  I told them at the time that it had to be before labor day otherwise I would wait and buy our new boat during show season.  For next few weeks, we checked back every week just to make sure the boat is on schedule.  The week before, after being assured our boat would be on time, we sold our current boat.  Delivery week did not go well as the boat didn't show up.  On Thursday of delivery week, the factory was said it would be here between Friday and Tuesday of the following week.  By Saturday, the factory won't return calls to the dealer on inquires about our boat.  All they would say is something about the seats not being ready. It's now the week after the 22nd, and the factory still will not say when our boat will be finished, which pretty much means we won't see the boat before the labor day weekend.  The dealer calls to get an update, the factory tells them they are going to call back, and they don't.  The dealer is trying to do right by us by giving us a loaner until our boat comes in - a 2017 SX 24.  Our second day using it, driving home from friends after 10:00 at night, it died.  I was able to get it working once I figured out that the gas tank was not venting correctly; now we are having to run it with the gas cap on loosely so it the tank will get air thanks to some new EPA required vent valves installed on 17 models.   Having a loaner is like renting a car - you just want your car back.  We had made big plans to have our fancy new boat on the lake before labor day, now we are just disappointed.  This whole experience with getting our hopes up and then having them smashed back down several times has been extremely frustrating, and we have no idea when it will be delivered.  We are seriously considering not buying it now and waiting for show season so we'll have a brand new boat next season, but we're afraid we'll go through the same problems all over again and we won't have a boat for several months.  Is this a common experience?  It's really not good customer service to miss delivery dates and not be able to tell the customer when the boat will be delivered. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear this but if it's a problem with seating then it's because of an outside vendor. Bennington doesn't make the furniture.

Hang in there. It will be worth it when it arrives. Sounds like your dealer is doing everything he can including getting you a loaner. I'm sure Bennington is applying the heat behind the scenes to the furniture vendor.

Yeah, hang in there.  Take full advantage of the loaner, the happy will come back when your ship comes in. Yes, i said that.  We bought ours during show season, took what they had in stock to get the "show price", its mostly what i was looking for, i can and have added the rest.  Drawbacks all around in life, do not let them bring you down.  

short of actually going there, you are getting a range of production excuses that likely bear little resemblance to what is actually happening. So, in all likelihood is the dealer who is the factories actual customer.

I have had this experience many times with cars. The only one that showed up on time was the one I got bootlegged pictures of and was able to challenge the dealer and manufacturer.

One point - when it does get here, BEFORE you sign the paperwork, make the dealer put it in the water, drive it, test it, run everything, etc. because if they are now in a hurry, you will be getting something that was rushed thru.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment with Bennington. But,sometimes things happen beyond their control. Your boat is a custom order,so that means the seating is ordered specific to your boat. And I can't start to guess how many are involved in the supply chain for the seating.As for the dealer,he's busting butt for you! I know there's dealers that wouldn't dream of letting you use a loaner boat.Just ask others on this forum. Hang in there,your dealer will make you happy at the end. Happy Labor Day!

I doubt it, sellers of products need to move product, period.  Telling you they will miss your date might mean losing a sale, dont want that.  Not to bad mouth BM but that is the way it is, your story kind of confirms it.  I worked for a  manufacturer of food processing equipment, machines went out somewhat incomplete and/or untested, but it met the ship date and thats what the money dictated.  Field tech can finish on site.  Made no sense to me to commit to the date knowing full well what the capacity of the plant was, but they did, probabaly still do.  Hang in there, you got a loaner for the holiday weekend, load it up and get wet.  

Well said and agreed 1blderbob. 

I feel for you man!   Nothing can fix not getting your boat on time.   The folks on the lake will be envious once they see it even if it's after Labor Day.   Hang tight their are worse things that can happen.   You did all you could do to make it happen and it sounds like the dealer did also.   When it's all said and done it's about the manufacturer.  Waiting patiently will make the experience that much better in the long run. 

This is our first Benny, bought new from a dealer only a month ago, and we have close to 30 hours on the motor already.  While ours is a different configuration than yours, both in vessel and in engine, it's still a Benny.  

Our opinion of our new boat could not be higher, and believe me, I've crawled over just about every inch of her.  Sure, there are tiny things that speak of modern-day American mass production, but otherwise, she's a fine vessel and we have no regrets.  

I feel like once the problems with yours get hammered out, you too, will feel the same way.  Hang in there! 

Thanks for all the input!  Sometimes just venting the frustration helps.  Hopefully I'll get some good news soon.  The dealer says they have gotten the factory rep involved and that person also has a customer waiting for an overdue swingback.  Maybe it's something to do with the model.  

Sadly, this can happen, especially with a new model. I do know my dealer is awaiting "pricing" on the "G" swingback as it has not been released yet. I know it may not help right now, but the wait will be worth it, and it sounds like you have an awesome dealer. As stated, there are many that would be envious to have a dealer like you have. Luckily, I have an awesome dealer going on 5+ years now, and hopefully ordering our new one from them next week or two if all goes as planned. 

Just to let you all know, I think these forums are great!  I spent many hours reading these forums before we decided to go with Bennington for our new boat.  These is so much positive feedback and good points.  I hate my first post had to be a whine; hopefully much more positive stuff in the very near future! So far our dealer has been great as well; I never expected them to give me a loaner (but at the same time I sold my boat because I was assured my boat would be delivered).  

Frustrating to say the least, but as others have noted, your dealer seems to be responding in a manner that many of us would envy. Hang in there!

I may be wrong, but it appears this is your first Benny. If that's the case, I'll look forward to your comparison with your old boat. I'm new to pontoons and Bennington, so I have no basis on which to compare quality, fit/finish, construction and overall ride. I've been told I purchased one of the best pontoon brands on the water, but sometimes I think it would be nice to have actually experienced the difference. 

Yes, this will be my first Bennington.  I previously had a Harris 24'.  I'll add my comparisons once I'm up and running. 

Sorry guys... it's a Bennington. Bennington owns the supply base. Granted the supplier should be be rsponsible for making the customer happy by doing what they committed to. I'm in supply chain mangment, it's the suppliers reponsibility to provide the right part, at the right price, at the right time, with the right attitude. If any of these things don't happen I'm sure the procurment group has them under a microscope. I promise you Bennington is doing everything they can to make this right, and it sounds like your dealer is too, kudos to them on the loaner. There are a few dealers I know that would just thorw up their hands and say. "Not my problem."

They informed dealer today a new build date has been assigned; Sep 12th with possible delivery on 17th.  That's only a month late, but I'm not holding my breath.  Evidently there's a large amount of the Qs and Rs behind schedule right now due to a shortage of the 2017 model upholstery.  If you have a Q or R on order, be prepared to wait awhile.  Dealer still being very good about the situation and taking care of us best they can.   

I'm thinking that "Swingback" option has become one of the most popular options available now !!

Think it would be my choice as well.  How about you SemperFi

Think it would be my choice as well.  How about you SemperFi

YES, YES, YES , but I just priced it on the build site(finally released for "G") and it pushed us over our budget too far ... unless I drop some options we REALLY want.... :(

Back