Fueling with a portable container

krcossin

Reaction score
My lake does not have a fuel station available, my previous open bow I used my trailer to recover, drive it for a good power wash and fill it up as needed.  I don't have a trailer with this new one, I have access to borrow the dealer's trailer if I make an appointment, I keep the R moored to four poles, water is knee deep at the bow, chest level mid ship and about 6' behind the transom, I could beach it, but the filler cap is pretty high and holding a 5 gallon gas can over my head is not fun.  I have a funnel that I used last weekend that my son holds in place as I pour in the fuel standing on the swing back cushion.

I'm curious if one of you elders have a method to ease this process?  My F300 is thirsty, I have burned over 33 gallons with almost 12 hours use.  I have seen some of my neighbors using a "shake tube" to siphon the fuel from the can to the boat, I have no experience with it, maybe you have a recommendation?  I really don't want to use the dealers trailer for every fuel run, as it is a bunk style and I know it will wear out the sharkhide with enough recovery/launches.

I got 2 of these:

http://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Fuels-3522-Motorsport/dp/B003TTYUHS?ie=UTF8&keywords=race%20fuel%20can&qid=1465484102&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

And one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/ABN-Siphon-Hose-Shaker-Anti-Static/dp/B016J30DBM?ie=UTF8&keywords=shaker%20siphon&qid=1465484193&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Some people report gas stations having issue with the cans (not rated for transport), but I have not.  They seal better and are sturdier than the eco red cans.

I put down a towel, set the jug on the back of the seat and use the siphon.  No issues, and like 90 seconds to drain a can.  Just be careful when removing the tube (which I hold in place during fill) to avoid spilling into the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
We bought THIS last year, a battery pump for gas cans.  Used it all last summer because the pump prices on our chain is outrageous!  Works fine, haven't had any issues and worked right away on the first fuel up this summer.  Might help you out.

I think that's what some of my neighbors are using Dub9, thanks for the link.  Do you just shove the metal end into the fuel container, the plastic end into the boats filler and literally shake it to start siphoning?  I'm assuming the fuel is higher than the boats fill cap and gravity take over once air is out of tube.

hma95, call me cautious, I don't love mixing electricity with fuel, but I'm sure it works or they wouldn't sell them if enough problems occurred, thank you for your recommendation.

I've been using two Fuel Pals for 15 years. They hold about 15 gal each.But it seems that they are no longer available. But I found something like it at Overton's.http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Moeller-14-Gallon-DuraMax-Flo-N-Go&i=74913                                                                                                                                                                                        I also put a towel on top of the seat and drain can into the boat.

+1 on the siphon hose and 5 gal gas cans.  I do it from on the boat.  My R has the gas cap in the rear and makes it easy.  My neighbor has an S with the gas cap on the side and he does it from inside the boat as well

I think that's what some of my neighbors are using Dub9, thanks for the link.  Do you just shove the metal end into the fuel container, the plastic end into the boats filler and literally shake it to start siphoning?  I'm assuming the fuel is higher than the boats fill cap and gravity take over once air is out of tube.

Exactly.

My fuel fill is on the port side, and dock on starboard, so instead of moving the dock I went this route.  The bottom of the can is above the fuel fill so it drains pretty good.  Just shacke (up and down) the siphon and you can see the fuel in the tube.  Ones it makes the downward bend you are pretty much set to stand there for the next 90 seconds until you go to the next can.

I had hopes I could sneak more of the tube into the fuel fill, but there is a stop in there a few inches down.

I thought about the big 14 gallon tank from above, but I would still need to raise it above the fuel cap to siphon (~90 pounds full), and pay more than my current setup.  5 gallon cans seemed like the most efficient route for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
1BlderBob: I saw that 14 gallon tank at Tractor Supply and was tempted to buy one.  Until I calculated how heavy 14 gallons of fluid is approximately 86 pounds, I don't have a pickup truck, my car's trunk lid wouldn't be able to close with that tall of an item, my wife drives a Suburban, trouble is lifting that up into or taking it out of it, and then I would have a problem with dragging it to the boat in knee deep water, going up four step lifting it onto the boat.  Way too much trouble.  I'd rather get a couple 5 or maybe 6 gallon plastic cans.  

I am going to get one of those shaker siphon hoses, thanks chucktuna for the video, I am a very visual learner.

Exactly.

....but I would still need to raise it above the fuel cap to siphon (~90 pounds full), and pay more than my current setup.  5 gallon cans seemed like the most efficient route for me.

You don't have to raise it above the fuel cap. You only have to raise it above the level of the gas in the boat fuel tank. Water seeks its own level. You siphon it up, but as long as your portable take is higher than where the fuel is settling, you're good.

You don't have to raise it above the fuel cap. You only have to raise it above the level of the gas in the boat fuel tank. Water seeks its own level. You siphon it up, but as long as your portable take is higher than where the fuel is settling, you're good.

I think it has to be above the end of the hose, which is in the fuel cap (area)

I carry two 5 gallon cans on the boat with two towels and a siphon hose as shown above. Set one towel on the floor before bringing the cans on board and one up on the L lounger back rest area. Then I just set one can up there, reach down and take the fuel cap off and let the siphon and gravity do the work while I look around! If done right you won't lose a drop of gas on the side of the boat or water.

I think it has to be above the end of the hose, which is in the fuel cap (area)

You just might be correct, sir. The only thing I siphon is with my wine making, and I siphon to the bottom of the next carboy, so I do have my hose at the bottom of the destination.

Don't strain your back. :D

And that's why we have kids and boyfriends!

1BlderBob: I saw that 14 gallon tank at Tractor Supply and was tempted to buy one.  Until I calculated how heavy 14 gallons of fluid is approximately 86 pounds, I don't have a pickup truck, my car's trunk lid wouldn't be able to close with that tall of an item, my wife drives a Suburban, trouble is lifting that up into or taking it out of it, and then I would have a problem with dragging it to the boat in knee deep water, going up four step lifting it onto the boat.  Way too much trouble.  I'd rather get a couple 5 or maybe 6 gallon plastic cans.  

I am going to get one of those shaker siphon hoses, thanks chucktuna for the video, I am a very visual learner.

We bought THIS last year, a battery pump for gas cans.  Used it all last summer because the pump prices on our chain is outrageous!  Works fine, haven't had any issues and worked right away on the first fuel up this summer.  Might help you out.

I second the Terra Pump. I have one that I use to transfer fuel from two 5 gallon cans. Works good I set them on the floor behind passenger seat and take off connector on the end of the fuel hose so it will go all the way in the new enviro style fuel neck and pump away.

https://www.amazon.com/TERAPUMP-Generation-Non-spill-Auto-Stop-attachment/dp/B00M1WBRKM?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

I use five gallon gas cans to fill my boat as well. Because I have a dock on both sides, my problem is just filling it without some leaking down the side when i start the process. My cans are the "new" type with no vent and a rigid spout. I'm wondering if I get a flexible spout whether it would help eliminate any spilling? Any thoughts?

Back