Furniture Covers?

ChuckP

Reaction score
I have a 2275 GCW that is stored on a covered lift. However we have a problem with spider droppings and I HATE putting on the mooring cover. Does Bennington or anyone else make the individual seat covers for this boat? If so where would I get them and how much?

Hey ChuckP, good looking boat! This seems to be a problem for a lot of people. Bennington doesn't make furniture covers, but try the search bar at the top as I know a few have had some made and told who made them. I don't know if any were in your area, but take a look anyway. Happy Searching! :)

ChuckP, The mooring cover does take some time but it is well worth the effort. I have taken a Zen approach to it and I never rush. I take my time, dangle my feet in the water and I have reached a point that I don't mind it at all.

I have noticed some drops on the seats and I have the cover on every night. Damn things. Now I go out on the dock every evening and rage a jihad on them while they are rebuilding their webs. I don't think they are reproducing at the rate I'm ...removing them. I've also heard drying sheets work as a repellent

The individual seat covers aren't going to protect the carpet/rails etc. from those spider droppings............At the very least....... can you just "lay" the mooring cover over the boat w/out attaching it?????

Takes us 5 minutes to cover our 22RLI on a one sided dock ........ Other than that, see if you have any local upholstery shops. If you are near water, one of them has to have done some boat seat covers.

ours are getting little black marks I think bugs get stuck on the dew it is a pain to clean off.

We are having a local shop in the Crystal River, FL area do it. We had him do this for our Hurricane Deck Boat and were very satisfied. People looked at the boat and remarked how good the seats look, even though the boat was 15 years old. IMO, much easier to use than a full cover, but of course it does nothing to protect the railings or the floor.

As lazy as I am, I would imagine if I use the full cover that came with the boat, I would probably not use the boat as much.

The spider droppings leave a little orange pinhead stain after you get the black heads off. And tree sap's tough on the light ivory color seats.

My wife and I are making slipcovers for all our seats as we speak. We're using a Sunbrella type fabric (7 1/2 ounce), and it's pretty tough stuff to sew on a home sewing machine. It's like a smooth finish polyester fabric in the same tan color as our top.

We ordered 30' x 6' fabric, and it is enough to do the 24 SSLX--including the 48" rear facing lounger.

I'm going to start off attaching it with velcro on the square tubing. If that won't hold, we'll sew straps to the covers and tie down. If I had any sense, I'd just put some snaps and use the existing mooring cover snaps. Upholstery supplies are just a little hard to find outside the big cities.

Sure, I'll send pictures when complete. We got the largest cover done today--that covers the sunlounger and the rear seat.

We enjoy doing any project that's going to save us a buck. Anyway it goes, it's easier to spend a couple of days at a sewing machine than clean the seats every week. I'm getting tired of scrubbing with Mr. Clean's Magic Erasers.

Last time we needed couches recovered, we both went to upholstery night school. Simple seat covers are no problem. It takes real skill to fabricate a mooring cover, however. Unfortunately mooring covers won't last 4 years if you leave them out in the weather all year.

I really admire people with skills, and even more so, when they will attempt to do something that they have never done.  Whenever, I attempt that, it usually does not turn out, and often cost me more in the long run to have someone eventually do it right.

We are currently waiting for a local shop to make our seat covers.  They have ordered the Sunbrella fabric, and then we will take the boat to them.  Quite expensive proposition, but hopefully will keep the boat in good shape.

I took off to Mexico last week, and have yet to finish my seatcovers.  Just 3-4 seams need to be sewn.

The Sunbrella type fabric I bought is a foreign made polyester canvas that looks just like my bimini top.  I have hand sewn patches of velcro on the seams to hold the covers to the boat.  But the fabric is deceivingly tough.  To get a needle through the fabric, I have to use wire pliers which means any hand sewing is a just little slow.

I was looking at Leatherique.com services last night.  If you every have a stain on the seats that cannot be removed, Leatherique can color match a stain that can be applied to vinyl seats.  They're the company that provides leather rejuvenator and cleaners for all the big car museums, like Harrah's collection.

After it's all done, I'll have $120 in the set of seat covers, and $44 of that was for freight on the fabric.  It took 30' exactly to make seat covers for my 24 SSLX with the 48" rear lounger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Like the price!

We have seat covers and they are simply the best IMO. We use the full cover at times but only when we know we will not be boating for a week or longer, or for winter storage even though we are enclosed.

Steve

Nice going Bamaman, would love to see some pix

Back