Gander Mountain Closing?

adkboater

Reaction score
Am I late in the game as to just hearing about Gander Mountain being bought out and closing most of its stores? The website states it's blowing everything out at all stores?? I'm sure I'm not the only guy/gal on here that does more outdoors than boat! ;)  

Am I late in the game as to just hearing about Gander Mountain being bought out and closing most of its stores? The website states it's blowing everything out at all stores?? I'm sure I'm not the only guy/gal on here that does more outdoors than boat! ;)  

They started closing stores about 4 months ago in Pittsburgh, then the whole chain filed for bankruptcy. Personally, their prices were not competitive in our area.

I'm a brass pro guy myself but figured if they have any deals I'm willing to take them up on it. We have one of the largest Cabelas about 45 minutes from us, super store not that inexpensive but the gun pricing is competitive.

They are opening a new Gander Mountain near my house.

Just ran down to check it out, big going out of business sign out front. Deals were ok, nothing crazy. Not everything is discounted, mostly just 10% across the board, 20-30% on clothing and nothing on the guns. Hopefully once they reorganize they'll have a better store! 

Camping World Holdings, which acquired Gander Mtn. (and Overtons)  through bankruptcy proceedings, is required by the terms of the deal to retain 17 stores nationwide. The Chairman and CEO of CWH, Marcus Lemonis,  has indicated he would like to keep as many as 70 stores open if the right deals can be made with the landlords. He also said the two brick-and-morter Overtons locations in NC would remain and he plans to open another 15-20 within current Camping World locations. There's been confusion about the closings even at stores that are on the list of those that will remain because the current inventory in all stores is being sold by liquidators to settle outstanding debts. Since none of the current items in stock were part of the acquisition, Lemonis intends to restock stores with a more profitable (less bloated) product line.

Last edited by a moderator:
My local Gander carries a half ass selection of boating supplies. The whole store seems like a mish mash of products. I mean, how many different styles and sizes of flashlights do you need? I buy on-line and free ship to store. Usually there in two days, so that works good. 

Stopped into one this weekend after the news broke. Picked up some tube jigs I needed anyway. Saved 15%

attachment.php

Our Gander seemed pretty picked over already. Left with.......Nothing!

I buy online and free ship to store. I found they had some of the best pricing on line. In store, not so much. The one near me is supposed to stay open, just liguidating the shi**y inventory they carry. 

We have a brand new Gander Mountain. Second one in town.  Hasn't opened yet.  Wonder if it ever will...  Perhaps bad timing. Looks like it should be open. Maybe they never stocked it.

Our Gander Mountain store has a huge banner saying they're going out of business.  The truth is that this store is not closing and will continue in business.

The larger Gander Mountain store 65 miles east is being converted to a Gander Mountain/Camping World store.

Camping World is on a buying binge--purchasing RV dealerships anywhere in the U.S. where they don't already have an RV dealership.  The quality of their operations often goes back to the quality of local management.  Many retail customers consider them like the big national automobile chain stores--slam and jamb operations with heavy pressure put on all employees.

I personally would never purchase any RV from them.

So long story short...... I'll just stick with my Brass Pro and Cabella's!!! And yes I know Bass Pro own Cabella's!

Talked to management at the Gander Mtn store in Huntsville, AL 2 weeks ago.  They will not be closing.  However they were bought out by Camping World.  CW bought the Gander Mtn name as well.  CW plans to gut the store and have a CW side and a GM side.  The Pensacola GM store will remain open as out Memorial Day.

They better do something about their prices, way higher than everyone else.

Back