Getting Nervous

Speaking of walkaround... I put this together some time ago with the help of many others who made comments. Maybe this will help you.

Dan

I posted this a while back with a LOT of help from other forum members. I basically just gathered the comments and put them all together in one list. Since a lot of guys seem to be picking up their new boats now, I thought reposting this would help. If you see anything missing, I will be glad to edit/add to this list so all the items stay together.

Before you leave to pick up the boat:

Call insurance company back to verify your coverage is "in the system".

Verify hitch ball size with dealer. Likely 2" ball.

Ask dealer about motor break-in period and warm-up period.

Find out your state's boat registration grace period

Verify price was as quoted and includes freight, prep, battery, prop, etc “ready to run”, plus tax/title/reg.

Things to bring with you:

Electrical adapter (truck to trailer)

Tongue Lock (may not be necessary)

Hitch Lock (may not be necessary)

Tie Downs

Tie Downs (Yes, I know that's listed twice. Don't even THINK about moving the boat without making sure it's tied well to the trailer.)

A car GPS or iPhone or Android app to GPS speed test.

Side view mirror extensions, if you need them.

Things to check while at the dealership:

Hull ID # - Check that you have the right boat if the dealer told you what the hull ID was in advance.

Trailer Serial Number

Motor Serial Number and Manufacture Date

Boat Inspection:

OPTIONS/UPGRADES: Bring your option list (from Build a Boat) and use it to check that all options ordered are on the boat.

BOAT : Check above options, check for defects, check railings for sharp edges, check pontoon tubes for slag, look for metal drill filings, open/close all storage areas, changing room, open/close all gates, check captain seat adjustments, tilt steering, electrical circuits and switches, stereo/speakers, raise/lower bimini, check LEDs, bow lights, mast light, horn, spare keys, 12 V socket. Check all electrical items and anything that moves.

TRAILER: Make sure turn signals and brake lights work, test surge brakes, verify bunks and guides tight, all bolts tight, carpet/glides secure and complete, wiring attached securely

MOTOR: Size/model correct, check manufacture date, prop correct size/pitch/brand

TEST RIDE: Verify depth graph works, power trim/tilt, check steering (full left, full right, smooth operation), verify top speed was what the dealer told you, check anything else used while boat is in motion, check all electrical items. Check for vibrations.

PAPERS: Make sure you leave with all documents and manuals, including those for the motor and trailer.

TOWING HOME - If you tow it without the cover on, make sure all removable items are removed so they don't blow out on the road. This includes the table and any seat cushions that come off. USE YOUR TIE-DOWNS!

Thats a good list .I will use some of it ( not trailering mine )

I am also getting nervous .Every day there is a new horror story here .Yes they are all repairable but how can you not find a broken seat at the factory or at the dealer ? Did the dealer break it and wants to charge the factory ? Just a thought .

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I think you will only see a fraction of the "good" deliveries, but you will probably read about every "bad" delivery. I'm in the building materials business, and it's no different. We have one oops for every 50 "atta boys" but we never hear about those, but make one mistake .... The wrath of consumer lets loose !!! :)

Personally, I think you will only see a fraction of the "good" deliveries, but you will probably read about every "bad" delivery. I'm in the building materials business, and it's no different. We have one oops for every 50 "atta boys" but we never hear about those, but make one mistake .... The wrath of consumer lets loose !!! :)
That is a good point .

That is why I posted previously that the good should also be mentioned .

So far my dealer has been great ,but that said, not only will this be my first Bennington it is my first boat . There may be things that I am not aware of or don't think of to watch for on the walk through and delivery .That is another reason I am taking "

kaydano's list with me and any other suggestions .

Yeah, sad but true. I also believe, if truth be known, many of the "missing" issues are probably communication from the dealer to Bennington.

Bennington has not reached the pinnacle of the industry by slacking. If it's their fault, they make it right. If it's the dealers fault ... well it seems like "they" make it right. Sometimes it may not be as quickly as people expect, but in this day and age, people have adopted the "I want it now" mentality as we are so use to it being touted that way.

It's not like a car dealer where you can just drive in and get it repaired. There are many parts depots for auto dealers, not so much forboats and even with cars mistakes happen. Plus, most people nowadays don't special order cars, they just pick from dealer inventory.

I wouldn't be nervous as you are buying a new boat and it has a warranty. As soon as our armrest broke, my wife looked at me and said, that's why we bought new. Things happen, and with Bennington, they get taken care of. I'll post an update after I talk to my dealer this morning.

I agree, it's the exception, not the rule. I bought one Benny brand new and had not one issue, other than I didn't by a big enough motor, which was my stupid mistake. Traded it in for a same year model demo and have had no issues with it either. Don't worry and enjoy the experience. Yea, you might have one or two minor issues. But you'll have that with most anything. Bennington is a GREAT boat. On the other side, think of the nightmares you might have with a lessor brand boat. Good luck.

Another issue is that if I do have a warranty issue ,I have to take it back to the dealer ,I have to rent a trailer and a vehicle to tow it .That just doesn't seem right for a warranty issue . Are all of the dealers like that ?

Mine comes dockside, but I'm only about 35 minutes away. The also have to come out to put the reg #'s on so I'll have them do the seat then.

Another issue is that if I do have a warranty issue ,I have to take it back to the dealer ,I have to rent a trailer and a vehicle to tow it .That just doesn't seem right for a warranty issue . Are all of the dealers like that ?
My dealer tries to do all work at dock if at all possible. I'm guessing charge for "pulling" for warranty is on dealer by dealer basis. It does not seem fair, BUT, you should realize going in what you are in for owning a boat, especially with no trailer. I budgeted for at least twice a year charge for dropping in spring, pulling in fall. Then you have fall service, storage, etc.... It's not a cheap hobby, but then again we don't "go away" on vacation ......

Also, depending on "issue", ill do repair myself .... I'm sure with my 20hp motor, I could even swap my motor at the dock with toon still in the water !!!! LOL !!!!

They are going to deliver mine to the marina I am going to use but any work, even warranty I have to take it back .That's probably going to be a couple hundred a trip , and I am less than 10 miles from the dealer .

If this isn't the way everyone else's is ,perhaps I did choose the wrong dealer .I did figure ,Marina ,winter storage ,and putting in.

The only issue I had with my delivery was that the bimini top cover was black and was supposed to be taupe (boat is champaign) and the dealer and Bennington made it right and the dealer (3 hours away) offered to come down and install the new bimini cover but I decided to do it rather than making them drive all that way for something relatively easy to do.

Jack

They are going to deliver mine to the marina I am going to use but any work, even warranty I have to take it back .That's probably going to be a couple hundred a trip , and I am less than 10 miles from the dealer .

If this isn't the way everyone else's is ,perhaps I did choose the wrong dealer .I did figure ,Marina ,winter storage ,and putting in.
Well I'd say it could also depend on how bad you beat them up on price ..... They have to make money somewhere, whether its on the boat, the trailer, or the hauling ..... It all costs money and has to be made up somewhere.

I figure till I bought a trailer AND PAID to store it cause its huge, I can pay a pull fee many times over. Toon storage is moot cause I'd have to pay that either way. I estimate 17 pulls just in trailer cost, not including extra insurance cost, registration, inspection, yadayadayada......

The marina where I will be keeping mine ,winter and summer ,can't believe that I am responsible to return it for warranty work ( they sell a different brand ) .

As far as price I got about 25% off list ,so he is making money .

The funny thing is there are two Bennington dealers in my area ,one is about 15 miles south of me and the other ( the one I choose ) is about 10 miles east .

The first one I never thought about asking about warranty work ,they were even slightly better on price .My issue was , they operated out of a pole barn with a store front ( lower overhead ? ) no inventory ,nothing to look at and you had to make an appointment to go in.

The one I chose ,very established, opened in 1969 ,has a store with listed hours, huge inventory , separate service location about a mile south of the store and operate a marina.

Thinking back to the order process though ,there were some items they told me I didn't need ( underdeck wave shield for one ) that I ordered anyway .

Sad to say, but eventually the cream of the crop rise to the top ..... Did you discuss your frustration with your salesman (since taking delivery) .... It never hurts to put a bug in their ear "that if there's an issue", "the next purchase will be from" .... I hate to say that, but I think in your situation, it may be in your best interest to try .....

N

Sad to say, but eventually the cream of the crop rise to the top ..... Did you discuss your frustration with your salesman (since taking delivery) .... It never hurts to put a bug in their ear "that if there's an issue", "the next purchase will be from" .... I hate to say that, but I think in your situation, it may be in your best interest to try .....
Not sure if you were responding to me .

No delivery yet , scheduled to be built next week .

Hopefully there will be no issues .and he is aware of the other dealer in my area ,I showed him the quote from them on my first order.

This is how my dealer works and what our assumption was so I planned to group warranty issues into one return if I can. Hopefully that can wait until the end of the season when they pick it up. I pay for the pick up and delivery (included in storage fee there), though I bought my own trailer for this and for storage. With that said, as soon as I mentioned a VERY minor issue I had on my engine, he offered to send a Verado certified tech 15 miles to my dock to fix it the next day. I wasn't even asking for it. That's a good dealer IMHO.

Back